Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:44 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:44 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:34 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

Warnings: 0
Mark wrote:
On that finish I would always go for it, no matter what the offer is.

That's where we differ then. For me there's no way that the allure of being a jackpot winner would override the fact that a gamble wasn't worth it.

If you ever want to play poker when you are legal to do so, let me know please.

:D

Last edited by Simon F on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:36 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

Mark wrote:

Even if he offered £249,999.99? :P

Fan of classic rock and metal

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:39 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

BankerSpanker wrote:
Mark wrote:

Even if he offered £249,999.99? :P

I almost asked the same thing.

KP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:53 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich
International Forums Moderator

I know we had an extraordinary game with Rich, but I really wish the £250k had gone earlier in the game so that we could have seen if he played a more (ahem) conventional game without the jackpot to influence him (his two-box speech was certainly that of a confetti hound rather than a more general Wakeyist).

I wonder if that's why the offers were so high so early - to encourage him to chase the money if the £250k went so that we could still talk up his "courage" and not discredit the chase-the-£250k strategy (in male players at least).

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:58 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

Simon F wrote:
Mark wrote:

That's where we differ then. For me there's no way that the allure of being a jackpot winner would override the fact that a gamble wasn't worth it.

I am legal, I'm 26!

And I have no intent to play Poker.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:08 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

Simon F wrote:
I don't think greed was a part of it. He was just a pure and simple confetti hunter. He should really thank his stars that he had £50k in his box and not 50p. .

It's funny but none of the girls who have actually won the £250k have been a confetti hound. Laura would have dealt at 2-box had the offer been over £50k, Alice had earlier dealt and probably wouldn't have taken the banker's gamble had she dealt for a far greater sum than £17,500, Suzanne was kept going up to 5-box due to forcing offers to prevent another Wilf/Michael and then by the pure strength of the board after it, and I don't think even Tegen was offered enough at 2-box.

Maybe that's the key?

:)

BTW any game where the £250k hasn't been won is technically a squander becuase it's always possible to avoid it and swap for it. Even people who have hit the £250k first box in the game could have avoided that box till the end and swapped for it. :laughing

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:15 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

Mark wrote:
Simon F wrote:
Mark wrote:

I am legal, I'm 26!

And I have no intent to play Poker.

I'm glad to hear that for your sake because your DOND philosophy would make you a terrible poker player.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:18 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

KP wrote:
I know we had an extraordinary game with Rich, but I really wish the £250k had gone earlier in the game so that we could have seen if he played a more (ahem) conventional game without the jackpot to influence him (his two-box speech was certainly that of a confetti hound rather than a more general Wakeyist).

I wonder if that's why the offers were so high so early - to encourage him to chase the money if the £250k went so that we could still talk up his "courage" and not discredit the chase-the-£250k strategy (in male players at least).

I actually reckon he might have dealt if he'd turned left instead of right at 3-box, as he no longer had the confetti to chase and probably couldn't have stomached winning a blue after turning down £85k. If he'd dealt say £18k on £50k/blue it would have been the highest ever OPL! :shock:

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

maggieq

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:50 pm    Author: maggieq    Post subject: Re: 06/02 Rich

:smt022 Loved Rich,he played hard and fast but l think the last round really pushed his luck alittle too far.Worth a stab at it if you can afford to lose,but deep down l think Rich was gutted at losing so much dosh.Enjoy Rich.

beaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:53 pm    Author: beaker    Post subject: 06/02 Rich

Simon F wrote:
beaker wrote:
I would have No Dealt the £85k but probably have dealt the £160k at 2 box but I don't see how anyone can criticise him for going on!

Perhaps the holy grail of being the first make QM was worth more to him than £110k and let's be honest £50k is a decent amount to come out of it with.

His decision was similar to Kirsty in season 1 who No Dealt c£150k and won £75k.

His speech at the end explained exactly why he did what he did, he was going to the end no matter what and I think you have to respect that

Kirsty turned down £125k on a £250k/£75k finish (which is the kind of gamble even the most cautious of player would have taken on).

furry muff, my memory not what it was I guess! ;-)

[ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]