Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:00 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:00 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:10 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

Warnings: 0
Mark wrote:
If by Sunday there are no games where players have blown it big time of getting more money then I think it's the longest I've gone without saying my "OH DEAR..." moment.

A random games will sometimes have sequences where big money doesn't come to the table.

Saying that - that was a Beryl-esque cautious deal today. There was a point to deal in the game today but it certainly wasn't at 11-box.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:36 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

Another defeatist deal with a strong board in little more than a week and I'm happy that even those of you on team-player acknowledges that fact :notworthy:. Its games like this that surely give you an understanding of how I feel when the proveout goes the other way. It would have been up there with some of the greats.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:50 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

norwichdonder wrote:
Another defeatist deal with a strong board in little more than a week

I wouldn't say it was defeatist... :eyes:

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:58 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret
International Forums Moderator

norwichdonder wrote:
Another defeatist deal with a strong board in little more than a week and I'm happy that even those of you on team-player acknowledges that fact :notworthy:. Its games like this that surely give you an understanding of how I feel when the proveout goes the other way. It would have been up there with some of the greats.

With you on that one - this would have been a much more worthy recipient of the show's distinction of "worst Deal ever" than Rob's and so I was hoping £250k would be on the table today.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:06 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

KP wrote:
norwichdonder wrote:

With you on that one - this would have been a much more worthy recipient of the show's distinction of "worst Deal ever" than Rob's and so I was hoping £250k would be on the table today.

*ahem*

I hate to be like this, but...

Look at my last comment... I would not consider this deal defeatist. :?

To me, a deal that is defeatist occurs after a round where the biggest value on the board goes, or after at least two consecutive bad rounds.

Neither of those things happened before this particular deal... ;)

Brick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:07 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

RMF1254 wrote:
Mark wrote:
Someone should have told her that dealing the third offer is never a good idea. (Way too early).

The problem is, how many people on the wings actually realise that? ;) ;) ;)

All the ones who can't magically see into the future, probably.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:12 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret
Global Moderator

KP wrote:
this would have been a much more worthy recipient of the show's distinction of "worst Deal ever" than Rob's

Rob's doesn't even deserve that distinction at all, IMO, as he didn't technically sell the 250k. He swapped for it.

Someone should point out to the Banker and the production team that, in the YT video, the box Rob brings to the table, and the one which is opened to reveal the 250k, have different numbers on the front. They'll probably just ignore it, though. ;)

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

RMF1254

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:20 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

hogwild94 wrote:
Someone should point out to the Banker and the production team that, in the YT video, the box Rob brings to the table, and the one which is opened to reveal the 250k, have different numbers on the front. They'll probably just ignore it, though. ;)

I believe Simon tried to point something like that out to the Banker, and it was indeed ignored. :roll: ;)

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:53 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

norwichdonder wrote:
Its games like this that surely give you an understanding of how I feel when the proveout goes the other way. It would have been up there with some of the greats.

I think I'm beginning to actually (especially as you said lots of "good" stuff about James' game)and I admit I'm one of your biggest "critics" on here! Is it something, like, say, I recently saw an edition of Pointless where there was an elderly lady when asked to name a Hugh Grant film she said "THREE Weddings and a Funeral" and I was in stitches for ages? And there was another old lady who said that "Twickenham" was a first-class county cricket team! :laughing

But you do the same sometimes about deals that most of the rest of us think are perfectly reasonable that go against the player, wrong decisions on an effective coin-toss, and more-or-less unavoidable blue wins too. ;-)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:13 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

RMF1254 wrote:
hogwild94 wrote:

I believe Simon tried to point something like that out to the Banker, and it was indeed ignored. :roll: ;)

I wasn't ignored - I had quite an interesting discussion with the Banker about it but we agreed to disagree in the end.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:48 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

Well the deal caught me by surprise, though yes, with hindsight she was a bit of a ditherer. I'd be curious as to why Margaret dealt when she did, most likely explanation is that she was shaken by the two big hits she took in the 3rd round, but maybe she was always going to go at the third offer

So yes, a bit of a damp squib after the past three days but I'd still rather see a cautious deal than a reckless gamble

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:42 am    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

KP wrote:

Actually thats a very fair comment and I'm 100% in agreement with you and perhaps it would have superceded only the previous game as potentially the *best of 2012*.

Sure Rob lost the £250k to an 8k deal on a hyposwap but it was fair as he called the swap and we do get them playing with honesty (sometimes).

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:47 am    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

James1978 wrote:

I think I'm beginning to actually (especially as you said lots of "good" stuff about James' game)and I admit I'm one of your biggest "critics" on here! Is it something, like, say, I recently saw an edition of Pointless where there was an elderly lady when asked to name a Hugh Grant film she said "THREE Weddings and a Funeral" and I was in stitches for ages? And there was another old lady who said that "Twickenham" was a first-class county cricket team! :laughing

But you do the same sometimes about deals that most of the rest of us think are perfectly reasonable that go against the player, wrong decisions on an effective coin-toss, and more-or-less unavoidable blue wins too. ;-)

Hmm you missed out something after actually on the first sentence. Maybe I shouldnt ask! No its just players like this who get my heckles up and ironically it seems other fans who are on the players side have the same view, *nods to KP*. Im also willing to say fairs-fair on some games and admit when they've played brave and won - I admire that as much as honesty. Noel says there "is no rate card", perhaps my criticism of players has no rate card either. But your comment about 3 weddings and a funeral did make me Lol too :laughing :laughing

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:10 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

And also I guess a massive disaster (such as Donna in your sig or 1p Matty) can be far more entertaining and interesting to watch than a middling £10k-ish win that isn't a big spanking or a big squander!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:15 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

I think that both Donna and Matty rubbed quite a few people the wrong way - personally I always try to judge on the decisions, so I laid into Margaret here but defended Donna after her arguable-either-way decision went spectacularly against her.

Also, I agree that Rob strictly wasn't a £250k sale - Tolleck still holds the record for that in my book, but both his Deal and Rob's weren't even worth discussing without hindsight when compared to this, which is why I wanted £250k to be on the table for this game so that the official "worst Deal ever" would actually have been one of the worst decisions ever, because right now (whether you accept Rob or Tolleck as the record-holder) it isn't! :)

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:16 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

KP wrote:
I think that both Donna and Matty rubbed quite a few people the wrong way - personally I always try to judge on the decisions, so I laid into Margaret here but defended Donna after her arguable-either-way decision went spectacularly against her.

Also, I agree that Rob strictly wasn't a £250k sale - Tolleck still holds the record for that in my book, but both his Deal and Rob's weren't even worth discussing without hindsight when compared to this, which is why I wanted £250k to be on the table for this game so that the official "worst Deal ever" would actually have been one of the worst decisions ever, because right now (whether you accept Rob or Tolleck as the record-holder) it isn't! :)

Remember Fran's game (Mar '11)? - I do particularly as I saw the game live, she dealt at an obscure £10,021 and had £250k, and I remember the Deal-Eye benchmark at the time was over £10k more than this, so I'd personally say that was the worst deal ever. Both Melanie (Sep '08) and Elaine (Nov '11) sold the top prize for £10k, but were they worse than this?

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:14 am    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

I still think Meena's £3,500 at 11-box was the worst I've ever seen.
I was glad I was watching that on Sky+! :P

Fan of classic rock and metal

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:31 am    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

It will probably go down as the WORST ever third deal of ALL time!

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:00 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

Having looked Fran's game up again, it's almost certainly the worst sale of the £250k, although you said at the time that Sherilyn's was even worse (except of course that wasn't a sale of the £250k).

My take on that at the time: "Not often I criticise a player's decisions, but it's hard not to criticise that one. Glad to see that a bad proveout came after a genuinely questionable Deal, I hate it when they come after very sensible Deals..."

The board wasn't as good as it looked, but it was still a £20k board.

Worst third-offer Deal ever? Meena's, I think, though there's a case for Beryl's (yes it was a one-box game but you could absolutely rely on high generosity at the end of the game on even the most volatile boards back then).

RMF1254

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:33 am    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 11/01 Margaret

Richard, anyone? :?

[ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]