Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:33 am Last visit was: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:33 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Brick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:02 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

Warnings: 0
hogwild94 wrote:
Ouch, that's gonna hurt! At least he gave it a good go, and that's a good thing.

Don't be surprised if this triggers a run of caution. :roll:

We had one of those last week anyway. And this game was actually a good advert for playing late into the game until his box was opened!

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:08 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

It's Morris's result all over again...but with £19,995 less! :smt009

And it's also ironic that the jackpot was in the same number that Alice won, as KP mentioned

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:16 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

Would I have turned down the 2-box offer? No.
Would I have got to the position to turn down that offer? Probably not

Excluding Kirsty's failed QM gamble (which I think we can agree was an easy no-deal), it's probably only the 3rd most questionable gamble of the other 4 (Morris's backup probably makes him the least-questionable in my opinion)

It seemed that he was willing to take the gamble today (and seemingly without much influence from anyone else) so it's hard to really criticise him too much.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:20 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

That's up there along with Kerry-Ann's and Corinne's games.
Gurpal has got to be the 2nd most questionable £250k gamble we've seen with Corinne top. Kerry-Ann is 3rd because she at least has £10k.
And I know Alice gambled £17,500 with 1p and £250k but that was not through playing to the end.

Fan of classic rock and metal

Profile E-mail  

hevelius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:12 pm    Author: hevelius    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

Gurpal played a great game,very brave...it wasn't meant to be for him,sadly.

Profile E-mail  

holly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:27 pm    Author: holly    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

he played absolutley fantasticly i was really convinced he was going to do it but then obviously he didnt :smt009
it was weird because straight after watching his game i felt kind of "deflated" because i really wanted him to get the £250,000 but then a few minutes later i got a massive adrenaline rush.it was totally weird :blueponder

Profile E-mail  

rico7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:28 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

I wonder what offer WOULD have got Gurpal out of the chair?! :shock:

You have to admire his courage though with such a good offer and no meaningful back up. It seems amazing to think that it's been five years since another male contestant has gone for the 250K in live play at 2 box. Hopefully someone will go for it again soon with the right result! :D

DanS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:32 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

Fantastic.

Quite frankly, I think it's refreshing to see a coinflip gamble between a blue and a top 3 amount. He would have deserved the quarter million, and I commend him for going for it. A fantastic game, although the result leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. A disappointing result, but again great gameplay from Gurpal. I love it.

Profile E-mail  

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:19 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

rico7 wrote:
I wonder what offer WOULD have got Gurpal out of the chair?! :shock:

£125k? You'd be foolish to turn down the average.

Fan of classic rock and metal

Profile E-mail  

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:34 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

I was watching that on 4OD and have to say that was slightly ruined by time. Once he reached 2-box I didn't think there was enough time left on the clock for him to win the £250k, so was praying he dealt the £70k, and was prepared for the fiver at the box reveal. :(

I guess they just want to get it over with if the box reveal goes the wrong way!

I actually thought £70k was not a very good offer considering what he'd risked earlier, even though unless i'm very much mistaken it's the second-biggest crash to a blue after Corinne.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:41 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

BankerSpanker wrote:
That's up there along with Kerry-Ann's and Corinne's games.
Gurpal has got to be the 2nd most questionable £250k gamble we've seen with Corinne top. Kerry-Ann is 3rd because she at least has £10k.
And I know Alice gambled £17,500 with 1p and £250k but that was not through playing to the end.

I know Kerry-Ann had a guaranteed £10k but a gamble at less than even money compared to getting about 7/2 odds is far more questionable.

I don't think Gurpal got that much more because he didn't take a really risky gamble statistically before that. Had he turned down say £50k at 3-box, I would have expected the 2-box offer to be close to what Corrine turned down.

Kanga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:21 pm    Author: Kanga    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

Great game. Once he had turned down the 5 box offer I thought he would play to the end.

The wait for a male QM continues.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:47 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

You think I'm cautious. I hypothetically asked my Dad how much he would have to be offered to Deal on a £250k/blue finish and he said £30k. I don't get my statistical genes from him.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:27 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

Wow. Just wow. Gurpal had stood out on the wings during my visit, so I was really looking forward to his game - and it certainly didn't disappoint! :D Clearly, it's a devastating result and a huge gamble to take, but he seemed able to cope with the consequences, so I can't really fault the decision from his perspective.

Entertaining game and high tension, had I stayed on an extra day, my nerves would've been shot to shreds, I think! :D

Got suspicious when the Banker did one of his occasional 'live tweets', but I had absolutely no idea which way that would go...

Profile E-mail  

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:01 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

I liked Gurpal, he was quite a charecter but i thought that was a reckless gamble.
Personally i would have taken the £70k, that is far too much to gamble on a coin flip. Not with £5 still in play.
Having said that i did enjoy the battle of wills with the banker that developed from 5 box, it's just a shame common sense didn't prevail in the end. Would have resulted in the biggest spanking of the season so far

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:07 am    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

great game and I'm not going to caw over the 'loss' as it was the toss of a coin just as yesterdays game was. Pity the roles weren't reversed. I wondered about the swap and obviously just like the last £250k winner he should have swapped. Only a few games into the new season yet we already have one that will be in next summers hall of fame!

Profile E-mail  

willrelf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:25 am    Author: willrelf    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal
Forum Games Moderator

Mark if he moaned about players taking reckless gambles:

Quote:
OH DEAR... OH DEAR... OH DEAR

Should have been a LOT less brave.
:lol:

Everything happens for a reason.

No regrets.

Profile E-mail  

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:20 am    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal
Forum Games Moderator

Pah... not in 530 years.

Profile E-mail  

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:35 am    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

I was thinking after my last post, what was his motivation for driving on to the end. I suspect he was partly a glory hunter/confetti hound. Obviously he had no debts or monetary sob story or he would have dealt before the final offer.

My assumption is that he is quite solvent, with a portfolio of buy to let properties and coming on DOND was just a bit of fun, in the same way we go on rides at alton towers for the buzz. His application form would have stated as such and his desire to gamble to the end. Of course that could be totally wrong and he is just a reckless gambler.

Haven't we had £90k offers on £250k/blue board before?

Profile E-mail  

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:32 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 30/08 Gurpal

norwichdonder wrote:
great game and I'm not going to caw over the 'loss' as it was the toss of a coin just as yesterdays game was. Pity the roles weren't reversed. I wondered about the swap and obviously just like the last £250k winner he should have swapped. Only a few games into the new season yet we already have one that will be in next summers hall of fame!

I began to wonder at one point if we'd EVER see anyone no-deal a serious offer on a £250k/blue finish, now we've had two. Alice doesn;t count of course! :)

Now I wonder if we'll ever get a swapper (and no-dealer of course!) on £250k/blue. I thought it was much easier for Suzanne to swap with the £100k there as a safety net if she got the decision wrong. I think with a blue too many people will be scared to give it away for nothing. Which I why I don't believe most of these hypo-swaps as it's all too easy to say you'd swap after you've dealt!

Actually taking this and Sharleen's finish into account - I can't see how anyone can criticise or crow about losses when it's a coinflip. It's like saying "You stupid idiot, you should have said heads and not tails!!!!" :)

I don't think any deal for a non-joke offer on massive/peanuts 2-box is right or wrong (and Sharleen's certainly wasn't that), and any no-deal on a similar finish isn't either, unless I'd say if the banker offered over the odds for the box like Kerry-Anne!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

[ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]