Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:21 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:21 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:24 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

Warnings: 0
sarlat wrote:
I agree with your point that the producers wanted to manufacture a result. They practically told Alphonso to go on with such a huge offer and yet the guy dealt because he listened to the old chap on the wings who said what a huge amount of money it was and he didn't think. Without a doubt the worst desicion ever on DOND and I bet he will be kicking himself every day for a long time. £60k is good but it aint £250k!!!

Going on is making a big assumption that the red in the box is the £250k.

Given that the banker would probably be very generous on the £75k/blue and £100k/blue finishes (as much as £30k and £40k respectively), there could be an argument that even if you think that the £75k or £100k is the box, then it would be worth the gamble but then it's a 50/50 chance that the other box is a red also making the offer higher than the £60k you've just turned down.

You also have to factor into account that the swap would be guaranteed so the banker might be trying to double bluff you.

Risking £60k on something I know the probability of one thing, risking it on the basis of reading the mind of the production team is another thing altogether.

sarlat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:35 am    Author: sarlat    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

The only risk to Alphonso was the blue/250k finish with guaranteed swap. But if you decide to play on the assumption that no one would make a £60k offer on a blue then just need the guts to finish what you started.

You see it still boils down to the fact that on five box no one would have made a £60k offer if they knew the box was blue. No one. As Spock says the most probable explantion is the most logical and likely one (something like that). Man should have thought it through and stopped worrying about double bluffs and such rubbish. You don't double bluff over £60k. You double bluff over a few thousand.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:58 am    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

sarlat wrote:
The only risk to Alphonso was the blue/250k finish with guaranteed swap. But if you decide to play on the assumption that no one would make a £60k offer on a blue then just need the guts to finish what you started.

You see it still boils down to the fact that on five box no one would have made a £60k offer if they knew the box was blue. No one. As Spock says the most probable explantion is the most logical and likely one (something like that). Man should have thought it through and stopped worrying about double bluffs and such rubbish. You don't double bluff over £60k. You double bluff over a few thousand.

Except the Banker has already double-bluffed over twice as much as £60k. When Em played in a Summer Special game in 2008 she had a final pair of £250,000 vs. 10p. The Banker had seen in her box and knew she had 10p. So why did he offer her £120,000?

Unfortunately for Em she'd already dealt, but nonetheless it's proof that the Banker will sometimes adopt some unusual tactics when he's looked in a player's box. So the £60k offer to Alphonso was by no means a clear cut signal that the £250k was on the table.

Dslash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:04 am    Author: Dslash    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

sarlat wrote:
You are serioulsly telling me that you see £1 and you would make an offer of £60,000 to buy the box?

I just don't believe that it is true. If I saw a £1 I would offer 50p for the box. The aim of the game is to buy the box for the least amount of money. Offering £60,000 for a blue box would just never happen in a million shows.

So say he had the £1 in the box, and he offers 50p. Clear indication to everyone that there is a blue in the box. Now say by chance that he leaves the £250k in the wings, oops, instant swap guarranteed and he wins £250k.

They gotta be careful and explore all finalities.

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:59 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

sarlat wrote:

You're assuming that the £60k offer implies that the only red that could be in the box is the £250k and that's a big assumption - the banker only said there was a red in the box.

If the £75k was in the box, the potential offers at 2-box would probably have been £30k, £30k, £87k and £150k (average is about £75k - above the £60k offered)

If the £100k was in the box, the potential offers at 2-box would probably have been £40k, £40k, £87k and £170k (average of £84k).

Assuming the £250k is in the box is not a logical conclusion statistically.

sarlat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:20 am    Author: sarlat    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

Simon

If at five box you believed there was a red in the box then the minimum was always £75k. Forget about the other offers. You would need to see the game to the end. By taking the 60k you are being ultra cautious at a time when in fact you have the best odds to actually be really bold. In this case it was a no brainer.

sarlat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:21 am    Author: sarlat    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

Dslash wrote:
sarlat wrote:
You are serioulsly telling me that you see £1 and you would make an offer of £60,000 to buy the box?

I just don't believe that it is true. If I saw a £1 I would offer 50p for the box. The aim of the game is to buy the box for the least amount of money. Offering £60,000 for a blue box would just never happen in a million shows.

So say he had the £1 in the box, and he offers 50p. Clear indication to everyone that there is a blue in the box. Now say by chance that he leaves the £250k in the wings, oops, instant swap guarranteed and he wins £250k.

I get that - if I had seen a blue in the box I would have offered £10k and then taken my chances he would have eliminated the 250k which was the most likely outcome!

sarlat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:22 am    Author: sarlat    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

Dslash wrote:
sarlat wrote:

I get that - if I had seen a blue in the box I would have offered £10k and then taken my chances he would have eliminated the 250k which was the most likely outcome!

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:25 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special
International Forums Moderator

Right. Let's say you're the Banker. You believe the player is very confident in reading you, and you see a blue on Alphonso's final five. You offer him £60,000, or even more.

The player, as you expect, goes "he wouldn't offer that if I had a blue on the table", and hence says No Deal.

You now have a 25% chance of each of the following: all-blue, blue/£75k, blue/£100k, and blue/£250k. Either way, you've won: you can either get him out for less, or make another inflated offer confident in the belief he will continue to have faith in what turns out to be an incorrect assumption. Only the swap can deny you, and he won't swap, because he believes the blue is on the wings and not on the table.

That's how the double bluff can help.

For what it is worth, Matilde Bombardini and Francesco Trebbi - two economists of Italian origin working at North American universities - used the Italian version, where the Banker always knows where the money is, to study risk-aversion at varying stakes. While it was not the focus of their study, they found a positive but not especially strong correlation between offer generosity and what was in the box. Most interestingly, they illustrated (by means of mathematical arguments some way beyond my capabilities) that "optimal strategy to minimize the payout to the contestant is to make a constant offer, irrespective of the content of the box held by the contestant." I'm not in a position to argue with their workings ;)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:59 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

sarlat wrote:
Simon

If at five box you believed there was a red in the box then the minimum was always £75k. Forget about the other offers. You would need to see the game to the end. By taking the 60k you are being ultra cautious at a time when in fact you have the best odds to actually be really bold. In this case it was a no brainer.

Even if I believed there was a minimum of £75k in the box, there's a 50% chance the other box will be a blue and if the banker offered close to the mean (say £35k on a £75k/blue finish), then I'm taking the offer without the presence of a meaningful backup.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here - I play the stats of the game - not the psychology of the production team.

cfd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:27 pm    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

To be fair if I was the banker there I'd offer £100 knowing the £250,000 was there. I'd then offer say £1,000 on the end and leave it to the player to decide whether to swap or not.

Because i'm evil :D

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:03 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

I remember one show where the Banker offered £1.50 when he knew £15k was in the box.

Fan of classic rock and metal

paulyc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:43 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

It's too simplistic to think the banker will ALWAYS offer a huge amount if he sees the quarter of a million in the box. He has mixed his play up plenty of times in the same situation. In my opinion it depends on how they view the player, and even whether they want them to win a good amount or not, and the flow of the game afterwards.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:59 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 27/07 Alphonso - School's Out Summer Special

sarlat wrote:
Without a doubt the worst desicion ever on DOND and I bet he will be kicking himself every day for a long time.

Now that's harsh.

There have been far worse decisions - think of Richard... ;)

[ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]