Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

wkd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

Warnings: 0
KP wrote:
The Banker is playing too aggressively here, thinking he can get her out ridiculously cheaply rather than moderately cheaply...

Yep - but he gets away with it!

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire
Administrator & Global Moderator

Box 16 with Beryl contains the 1p

Claire says £250 is more than she came with and she's had an experience and made great friends

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:57 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire
International Forums Moderator

After several extremely well-deserved Banker wins lately, that one was exceptionally fortunate for him. When you've got the momentum...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:00 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

£1,000?! :smt019
If you REALLY wanted to get her out at 3-box then you'd probably have to offer at least £15,000.

And £3,333 was shocking! 14% of the mean = NO DEAL! :evil:

Fan of classic rock and metal

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:00 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

What a surprise, someone finally goes further and gets a horrible ending! Like we haven't seen that before...

matt26

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:10 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

The way I see it, on a show named 'Deal or No Deal', it helps if the Banker makes some sort of attempt to buy the box. Evidently he didn't think so today for some reason...

Those offers were abominable really. You could have doubled most of them and they'd have still been pretty stingy. Hopefully this sort of artificially-enforced trainwreck doesn't happen again for a while... And I hope they didn't seriously think that 1k would be considered for even a millisecond...

Also, yet again a player leaves 1p to the final two but doesn't have it in their box... That's been happening a lot lately...

greeny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:16 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

Those offers were an absolute disgrace, Claire had no chance.

Kanga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:46 pm    Author: Kanga    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

That game felt like the exploitaion of someone with poor maths skills.
First there was the absurd assertion that she should swap for a better chance of having a red in her box :evil: then there were the poor offers - her five box should have been somewhere near £10K. The three box offer should have gone up - £4K would have still been low but I think she would have taken it - which I suppose is why he did'nt offer it. :smt019

jamesfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:47 pm    Author: jamesfish    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

I am guessing Charlotte had the £5 today am I correct. I missed the game.

beaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:34 pm    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

This is getting more and more suspicious with each show, brave players rarely get big numbers in their box but cowardly players always seem to?

If Charlotte is the one from NI then she did have £5 in her box

Well played Clare you deserved better than that, you were treated appallingly!

Phil 09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 pm    Author: Phil 09    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

I've seen many games since late 2007, but never have I seen such derisory Banker offers as in Claire's game today. Great start with five blues. Offered the swap and rightly no dealt.

Continuing on, and with still powerful boards at 14, 11 and 8 box. The offers I thought were derisory.

Come 2-Box with 1p and £250 remaining, the offer just 18p? Sorry for being no Carol Vorderman myself, but that is nowhere NEAR the average even though they were two low blues. The cynic in me thinks that maybe there was some sort of dispute between herself and the Banker, but made to look all smiles just for the cameras?

And I agree totally with Beaker, she deserved far better than that.

Phil.

Jules101

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:10 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

Hi there was no dispute between Claire and any member of the crew or any other player.
Claire is a lovely girl, maybe not as outgoing as some of the others but funny and friendly with everyone. I did notice though she wasn't given anywhere near as much "tv promotion" as some of the other players have had.
The banker did to Claire what he did to Daz with the yule log offer it ruined the whole game for Claire and she deserved much better offers for the board she had.
Hell i took out the 50k and the 100k and was given better offers so there is no way she should have been in the position she ended up in.

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:17 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

Phil 09 wrote:
I've seen many games since late 2007, but never have I seen such derisory Banker offers as in Claire's game today. Great start with five blues. Offered the swap and rightly no dealt.

Continuing on, and with still powerful boards at 14, 11 and 8 box. The offers I thought were derisory.

Come 2-Box with 1p and £250 remaining, the offer just 18p? Sorry for being no Carol Vorderman myself, but that is nowhere NEAR the average even though they were two low blues. The cynic in me thinks that maybe there was some sort of dispute between herself and the Banker, but made to look all smiles just for the cameras?

And I agree totally with Beaker, she deserved far better than that.

Phil.

There was nothing between the Banker and Claire that wasn't shown on the edit. Not a pleasant game to watch live: A great first round that got a bizarre swap given Claire had already stated 3 was her lucky number which denied her a offer-generosity defining first offer and then offers which were derisory but Claire's hesitation in turning down the offer really didnt help her cause (not that I'm defending his offers).

Given the 2-box offer would have been £18k had she kept the £100k in play, somewhere around £10k instead of £1k at 3-box would have been acceptable.

In fact, the ending was that bad, when watching this afternoon, I was convinced the last box opened was a blue and she won £18k. I guess my memory wanted to forget just how horrible the game was.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:41 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

I think I can't add anything to the comments regarding the offers. It seemed like the banker just wanted to have a play around with this game and kick low offers out there to ensure she went on.

We had the 'no first offer' recently and he does like to throw that out rather than give a justifiably 15k-ish offer which could have been dealable for her. She maybe indicated to someone(maybe overheard in the bar??) what her price was and that sort of offer was too close for comfort to him.

Perhaps Jules can say - is it really a case of 'loose lips sink ships' in that no sensible players discuss their goal whilst at the hotel? Is it a free bar to get tongues wagging? I also agree with you that she got pretty much no airtime. In fact when she appeared today I didn't even know who she was.

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:26 pm    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire
International Forums Moderator

The producers can't win, really. If it's not complaints about overuse of twists (which does get irritating), then it's about offering too much; too little; or making swap offers in unexpected places.

I understand how painful it was to watch Claire's game fall apart after such a great start. Must have felt worse to have been there at the time. I think that Claire did help to encourage the banker to not intervene, even if unintentionally.

The first offer being a swap seemed to throw her completely (especially when she said "no money?"), and the second offer was derisory. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers offered that because they feared she would have considered dealing the first offer, based on the knowledge they had of her. (And, of course, to prevent Noel's head from exploding if she had.)

The problem is that Claire did almost everything imaginable to make the banker offer very low amounts. She admitted to being bad at maths; dithering over offers; giving out a target; appearing to have a low deal threshold; and be highly swayed by the banker's comments. As a result, it gave the banker all the permission he needed to float (a poker term for waiting to see what your opponent and the board does next, with a possible increase in EV).

The fact that he could have got her out of the chair early was irrelevant: the show's budget could clearly afford the one hit, and with the extra ad break, can afford to do it again. Remember that it was only in the producers interests to help the player while the show had a reduced budget, and while they have more to play with - which they seem to - then anyone they don't like for any reason could face difficulties if they don't play their cards right.

I think that the reason the banker/producers didn't intervene, is because they didn't like her as much as the other contestants for some reason, and because of human nature. When something's going wrong, sometimes you just watch in awe as it happens, even when you know you could intervene. When someone is as different to you as chalk and cheese - having no mathematical sense in this case - then there enters an element of schadenfreude. It's also easier to work out what to do when the game's simpler, than to intervene early and make a mistake - and something I expect will happen again soon, at this rate.

Still was horrible to see her leave with £250. That's life, though. :|

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:04 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

The curse of the all-blue opening round strikes again. Has anyone who had an all blue opening round ever gone on to win serious money? I doubt it, though i'm prepared to be proved wrong.

Claire clearly wasn't a natural OHO and would have probably walked at the first 5-figure offer but a combination of bad luck and appallingly low offers ensured she saw the game through to the bitter end.

She did seem awfully thrown by that opening swap offer though, not sure why she couldn't grasp the concept of it (whether she should have taken it or not is immaterial, the fact is she didn't know how to react to it) and the Banker clearly knew how to press her buttons, she seemed permanantly discombolulated!

paulyc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 am    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

I'm going to throw a bit of a conspiracy theory into the arena here. She was offered the swap, presumably because she had box 16 in her card from her daughter with 100k in it. She didnt swap, despite the twisted probability theories from the baker (clearly mathematic banker persona is having a day off, and evil banker persona stepped in for this one!) Despite not swapping she kept box 16 to the end, and it had the 1p. A cynic could say that the banker/producers knew box 16 had a penny!

Either way, seems they wanted her to go home with a blue or work harder than anyone else to win a reasonable amount of money. Perhaps she said something off camera that was picked up, or something that didnt make the edit. God knows Noel can have a right attitude on him at times with some players!

paulyc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:32 am    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

BTW my last post comes up as 12.28am and its only 11.30. Has this website adopted the European timezone already? :ponder:

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:35 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire
Administrator & Global Moderator

:laughing We're one step ahead of everyone else.

The reality is that each user has to manually set their forum clock when the clocks go forward/back, so you're probably still in BST. See this thread here! viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17460

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:36 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 24/01 Claire

paulyc wrote:
BTW my last post comes up as 12.28am and its only 11.30. Has this website adopted the European timezone already? :ponder:

You probably need to go into the control panel and change the time zone settings.

[ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]