Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:05 am Last visit was: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:05 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Brick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:59 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 21/01 Irene

Warnings: 0
We have had a few older players who have been big gamblers - Doreen and Jean come to mind. Perhaps it's a matter of being one extreme or the other!

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:39 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 21/01 Irene
International Forums Moderator

Certainly, older players are less likely to have a specific use for £15-20k, which younger players usually do (and play with that in mind, which is a reasonable expectation level for this game - a reasonable but not overwhelming majority of games have a £15k+ offer). Targetism often serves as a moderating influence on play (although it can just as easily cause a player to be very safe on a good board and very aggressive on a bad one - even the same player). Older players swing towards one extreme or the other because they typically either think of big dreams or little things; norwichdonder has an interesting point in noting that very large wins could come with unintended consequences, which I had not previously considered.

Moderate analysts who take generous offers and only generous offers - as relative to the board, not based on their absolute magnitude - seem all too rare on this show...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:19 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 21/01 Irene

I actually watched some of this, as from what little I've seen recently, Irene had been great comedy value and one of my favourites on the wings, and the next in a great line of funny old people. I was really wanting her to no-deal that £10k though! (as even if it went totally pear-shaped, she'd join her namesakes which would have been funny!)

Again I'm not going to criticise her, she was still philosophical and happy with what she'd won even after the box reveal, so I've gotta respect her.

Even if I'd have been playing that, it would have been almost as big a loss as I'd have only dealt at 5-box, and I'd probably have refused a BG on that too.

What is worrying though, is in 2011 so far, it seems as though only Scott has taken a proper gamble. Everyone else who has played to the end, such as Jim and Dave, have only really been forced to becuase the boxes were bad in their games. I'm no Wakeyist by any means, but we do need SOME (but by no means all) contestants to take a risk here or there! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

JS Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:39 pm    Author: JS Boy    Post subject: Re: 21/01 Irene

What i loved about this show, was when Pheonix answered back to Edmonds when asked "Why did you clap?" Phonix replied "To show support" Good man, I hate it when Noel gets irritated about people claping after the deal if a low number is revealed

Last edited by JS Boy on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:39 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 21/01 Irene

James1978 wrote:
What is worrying though, is in 2011 so far, it seems as though only Scott has taken a proper gamble.

Whats funny is that Cocky Scott (and it was Noel christened him as being Cocky ) will probably be the one who we benchmark many 2011 games by. The safe Bettys, Mables and Doris players will be the ones with the big numbers on their table yet will go out for an offer in the teens as they aren't really gamblers at heart. Lets keep tabs on Beryl and see how she plays. Shes been a bit of a black widow so far.

Profile E-mail  

taff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:53 pm    Author: taff    Post subject: Re: 21/01 Irene

I thought that show was so good I really wasn't bothered how much Irene won - the game was almost incidental.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:59 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 21/01 Irene

Have to say even i thought that was a cautious deal but i did like Andy's comment that Irene should do what felt right for her. Wish Noel would adopt that philosophy instead of constantly berating players for not going to the end/ Pushing their luck too far (Delete as appropriate)

killersbee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:19 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 21/01 Irene

Noel has been crying out for huge wins for a long time now and the contestants are not exactly helping, they're only just adding fuel to Noel's ranting.

norwichdonder wrote:
Lets keep tabs on Beryl and see how she plays. Shes been a bit of a black widow so far.

If her game turns out like Keran's did from 2008, I would choose that as game of the month

[ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]