Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:09 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:09 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:53 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Warnings: 0
Ugh!!! :(

Could've been the second Betty to win £100k...

kestral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:53 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Betty says she is more than happy with what she has got.

Betty can now pick 1 gift box to try and win the holiday to Cyprus.

Betty chooses RED.

Noel opens RED and reveals WIN :D

YELLOW contains LOSE

GREEN contains LOSE

Betty wins a holiday to Cyprus.

That is up there with some of the best turn arounds ever says Noel...

greeny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:53 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

So Betty actually had the worst possible start she could have had, given she had the 100k on the table.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:57 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

greeny wrote:
So Betty actually had the worst possible start she could have had, given she had the 100k on the table.

Exactly and after 7 boxes if someone had told her she'd deal for £22k, you'd be happy. She was brave enough to get as far as 3 box and to resist the banker's 1/3 chance of £41k.

Given she had the £100k on the table, the odds of taking out the 6 highest boxes on the wings in the first 6 boxes was 1 in 54,264.

The first time I'd seen someone sell a box for less than its contents but I don't think anyone in the Dream Factory really cared after that awful start. That truly was one of the most amazing turnarounds (albeit given it was never going to go wrong with the £100k on the table)

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:10 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

I just think...if that horrible opening round never happened, we would've had a £100k winner today

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:20 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Simon F wrote:
greeny wrote:
That truly was one of the most amazing turnarounds (albeit given it was never going to go wrong with the £100k on the table)

It was interesting to see her dismiss the low offers because you could see her eye drawn to the 100k and then once she'd hit a goal amount she wouldn't gamble, not even with a potential contrived win with the bankers gamble (which you could argue is how quite a few of the big power 5 wins have been realised).

I wonder if she'd had younger members of the family present if they would have urged her to gamble. I have to ask though if she really knew what was going on as several times as she started calling boxes before Noel had asked her the question.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:39 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Wow, that must be one of the best turnarounds ever, great game and especially exciting as it's the first special I hadn't heard about! I wonder what the banker would've done if he'd seen 100k in the box...?

Amazing result anyway, and the red wins keep on coming!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:38 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

StatsMan wrote:
I wonder what the banker would've done if he'd seen 100k in the box...?!

Yes, They position the Santa as benefiting the player with odds on finding it, but in the situation where the big number is in their box, it could be argued that a Scrooge would have been better for Betty :)

If the banker had seen the 100k he would have been forced to give a higher offer than the 7k she got straight after the santa. Given her previous snubbing of the offers because of the 100k in play, he may have offered closer to the 23k she got two boxes later. If he had given too low an offer, she would have gone to the end with the ultimate 100k vs another and the outcome would be a different situation.

Given how they like their twists (they have allowed players to advance 1 box at at time after the player asked) I actually wonder if they would ever give the player the option of allowing the banker to see inside the box at that stage - a sort of voluntary Scrooge if you like. It would definitely benefit the player if they had a big red in their box, but there may be other situations it would help -especially as it would give the producers another way to allow a contrived win ??

jamesfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:44 pm    Author: jamesfish    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

sorry if i've missed it but where was the holiday to.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:15 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Crypus.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:21 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

norwichdonder wrote:
StatsMan wrote:
I wonder what the banker would've done if he'd seen 100k in the box...?!

Given how they like their twists (they have allowed players to advance 1 box at at time after the player asked) I actually wonder if they would ever give the player the option of allowing the banker to see inside the box at that stage - a sort of voluntary Scrooge if you like. It would definitely benefit the player if they had a big red in their box, but there may be other situations it would help -especially as it would give the producers another way to allow a contrived win ??

I think it has happened that a player voluntarily allowed the banker to look in their box in return for something (I forget the player but I'm sure someone on here will know)

Just watched the whole game again. Betty was a lovely lady, coming just down the road from me in West Yorkshire. Yes, a bit forgetful about boxes and questions and it would have been lovely had she replicated the £100k of her namesake (who also came from Yorkshire) but it was a different game to the other Betty and having clawed her way up from the start she had and turned down £14k at 4-box, which wasn't a bad offer, it would have been heartbreaking for her to lose the £23k she dealt at.

Jules101

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Such a lovely lady, its a shame the editing is not allowing the players to shine as much as they do.
Well done to Betty xxxx

travis P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:07 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Jules101 wrote:
Such a lovely lady, its a shame the editing is not allowing the players to shine as much as they do.
Well done to Betty xxxx

I suppose come Sunday when the one hour shows will fully commence it will eliminate that issue.

BTW. Did you felt disappointed you didn't win that holiday?

Jules101

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:54 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

No not at all , though it was very kind of Debbie to think of me ;)

KP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:35 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials
International Forums Moderator

Personally, I think if she was going to reject that BG - which I'd have done too, but only just - she probably should have gone at four-box. Still, she won more this way than she would have done that, so who am I to moan?

This reminds me of a couple of Miljoenenjacht episodes where players had 300k (the seventh highest amount on that board) and took the top six out in short order, but one dealt way too soon...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:39 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Wow! I can't recall ever seeing a start that bad, but it was a fantastic turnaround. By the end of the game i think the actual location of the £100k was almost immaterial, what was important was that Betty was getting good 5 figure offers, to get £23k and a holiday to Cyprus out of that game was something of a miracle in itself.

Oh and :smt046 at the Banker Spankers!

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:43 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Moxx of Balhoom wrote:
Oh and :smt046 at the Banker Spankers!

That made us all laugh (even without the post-production music added on).

Brick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:35 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 29/12 Betty - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Simon F wrote:
I think it has happened that a player voluntarily allowed the banker to look in their box in return for something (I forget the player but I'm sure someone on here will know)

Gary from Halloween week 2009 picked Treat but still allowed the Banker to look in the box, can't remember the exact circumstances behind that but the amounts involved weren't huge anyway.

I know Liam from the Banker's Birthday 2009 did something similar, but I think the box the Banker looked in was on the wings.

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]