Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:04 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

Warnings: 0
OH...MY...GOD!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I thought Alex's was game of the month, but this takes the cake!! :-D

A huge win and only 3 pages...

Last edited by killersbee on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisjoyce87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:05 pm    Author: chrisjoyce87    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

Great game , pleased see courage being rewarded! Good Stuff!!!

paulyc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:24 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

Aww fantastic game and great to see chris final two board being up there amongst the all time dream scenarios. Interesting to see how the one box at a time offer plays such a huge physcological part in gameplay terms as at each stage he could take stock of the board and calculate moving forward.

maggieq

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:37 pm    Author: maggieq    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

:box: what a fantastic result,so worth the wait(l'm a compulsive DOND fan)loved the pigeon bits.just added to one of the all time
greatest deals ever.Chris l hope you enjoy all that dosh!! :laughing

DanS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:41 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

Crap. Just missed this.

Looks like somebody is gonna be on 4OD this weekend, even if I do know the result. :(

Brick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:43 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

Wow, well done Chris! I'll have to watch the repeat in an hour's time. When MisterAl mentioned in the spoilers section that 'Tophertown' had been known about by some people (regular pilgrims, I assume), I did wonder if a memorable game was on the cards, and lo and behold, it appears we do! :-D

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:52 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

Yes, fantastic game, I've been looking forward to this for months having heard it mentioned back in April (or course, I wasn't going to spoil the enjoyment for everyone!). It was quite a brave gamble at 3-box with no guarantee of a stick on blue/100k, but 33% of the finish we got made it very tempting. That pigeon proved to be very lucky indeed!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:10 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

I've only been watching DOND for about a year and a half (if even that), and this game is what I've been waiting to see. Well done Christopher, enjoy the money!

Kaledmutant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:27 pm    Author: Kaledmutant    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

Not really been watching the games lately as Noel's commentary was getting annoying but may well have to watch this one back on Catch-Up. Good luck to Chris on taking the risk and giving the banker a spanking. Maybe the pigeon was actually looking at the £100,000 NOT the £250k. If so it was a smart bird, or it watched the independent adjudicator sealing the boxes and had a bird's eye view of the box Chris was given!!! :-D

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:41 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

I'm quite surprised that there was no jumping around or massive hugs after he won £100k, maybe they're not used to big wins cause they haven't happened for nearly a year

paulyc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:47 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

possibly they were all feeling a bit uncomfortable in their costumes.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:51 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week
Administrator & Global Moderator

Maybe they didn't want to crush the pigeon... :lol:

KP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:17 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week
International Forums Moderator

What I find hilarious is that on the day firefighters have announced strike action in London for, of all days, November 5... we get this episode airing, where someone goes to the end and wins big, and it's definitely not a firefighter. Meanwhile, the last two firefighters in the chair have had two of the greatest self-inflicted trainwrecks on DoND since the recession. :P

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Brick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:37 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

I too wondered about the somewhat restrained congratulations Christopher got on his win, though to be honest I do think it was mainly to do with the costumes - if they'd suddenly rushed over to him the costumes may have been damaged (they are a lot more intricate than the usual attire, and probably more expensive too!), and chances are the contestants had been warned against this.

For the game itself, it certainly didn't disappoint - the first 3 offers didn't seem bad at all, certainly compared to yesterday anyway (I seem to recall Noel lookalike Graham being offered £20,020 on a similar 11-box board), with only the 8-box offer really seeming like a forcing one. From 5-box it did seem like a bigger-stakes version of Debs' game, with an argument either way for dealing or going on with each offer, which was great as the end result didn't feel reckless or forced.

My only complaint was that we didn't really get to know much about Christopher in the game, because of the whole pigeon invasion at the beginning (funny though it was) the intro was basically cut short. He's just posted on the Facebook thread that he did mention his nan in the intro (nanny bird or something), and that 14 was her birthday, which helped to spur him on.

Either way, a great result, and good luck to tomorrow's player - hopefully this will be a positive boost for them.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

h2005 wrote:
Noel says that's one of the biggest "no deals" ever.

Christopher wins £100,000 from his box 14. :D :D :D

I presume Noel meant biggest in terms of the amount of money no dealt and not in terms of the scale of the risk involved.

Wonderful game, first 3 offers were above the FD, 8-box offer was obviously going to be low to get him to go on to 5-box (although Christopher was obviously the gambling type anyway) and then all the offers for 5-box for 3-box were perfectly judged and all could have been dealt or no dealt without me having any qualms about the statistics of the decision.

Not the biggest audience reaction to the £100k being revealed but I guess with £50k guaranteed, it wasn't the biggest nailbiter of a reveal ever (having been present for Justin's £75k/10p BG decision, the cheer didn't quite seem as loud from the audience)

Even the 2-box decision was one of those where you couldn't criticise the player for dealing but I doubt many viewers thought Christopher would deal £70k.
Well done Christopher - a big win which wasn't manufactured but taken from taking calculated gambles.

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:59 pm    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

Chris knows what to wear to attract the birds. May attract some wolf whistles in the dark wood with that dress sense - literal ones. ;)

That's a great result, and the first six-figure win for 22 months. The first offer of £11,000 was very good. Some people would take a restart if the banker offered the option instead, and with an average payout of £13,500 in the last 12 months, that would in ordinary circumstances put the offer into dealable territory. The only thing holding players back is convention and conformity, as the logic adds up.

I would have left with £18,000 at 5-box - heck, might have left even earlier! - but it's great to see Chris take the chance. Could have gone horribly wrong of course, but then, that's why it's entertaining to watch: no risk, no reward.

The show definitely seems to have its cycles, where players influence (and are influenced by) each other and depending on what's happening around them. I've said before that there needs to be a diverse range of players with different personalities and tolerances to risk and reward.

Perhaps more important, though, is how connected everyone is in the group together. Does a more interconnected group have a more positive disposition, more resistant to the banker's influences; or does the banker have a sufficient infuence on each player to ground them down and deal? Psychologists would have a field day if they were let in to the microcosm that is Deal. :)

Well done Chris, and enjoy £100,000. Easier to win than on Million Pound Drop, I guess!

KP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:47 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

crazyeddie wrote:
Does a more interconnected group have a more positive disposition, more resistant to the banker's influences; or does the banker have a sufficient infuence on each player to ground them down and deal?

And, conversely, how does any influence the other way, e.g. from Noel if he's in the mood, feed into this? I would imagine that a more interconnected group would not necessarily be any more or less positive - although the atmosphere within the hotel may be better, which could perhaps increase confidence, and hence gameplay aggression - but what I would more realistically expect is that a more interconnected group will react more strongly to previous games, as their ties with other players are stronger, and with it, so too are their reactions to extreme results in either direction. We saw that in one direction after Laura's game, of course, and we saw it the other way after Lynn took her crash from £15k to £1k extremely badly a few months later.

Also, another factor is the presence or absence of a clear 'sage' in the group, especially a mathematician (who probably confers respect as someone who is seen to 'understand' the game, and is thus relied upon more heavily by uncertain players - we saw that clearly with Clare-Louise turning to Dan last year). The fact Bryan endorsed the risk-taking today was interesting, given his role in Alex's game, but maybe reflects that he knew Christopher was going to play aggressively anyway. Or maybe he's recognised that making himself out to be an aggressive player of the game will potentially help him out?

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:27 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

Fantastic game.

Christopher had something of a dream game, not just in that he bought £100k to the table but in keeping a significant backup. I was a little dissapointed the Banker didn't offer the mean with that final offer although when the money is that high and the amounts so relatively close any offer is arguably moot.

I tell you they'll all want a pigeon now. :laughing

Am i the only one who feels a little sorry for Alex though? Never expected her to lose her crown as the biggest winner of the season quite so quickly

Brick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:02 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

Considering that Christopher was the first person Alex ran over to hug when the 1p was revealed in her box, I think any disappointment she may have had in losing her 'season's biggest winner' crown would be forgotten when she'd found out it was him who got it! :D

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:09 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 26/10 Christopher - Trick or Treat Week

Just noticed that the Hall Of Fame page on this website needs both Alex and Christopher's pictures adding now.

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]