Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:57 pm Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:57 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:49 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Warnings: 0
Howie's son in the audience reminds him he can't afford to go home with nothing...

James is 19 years old; so therefore the offer will be £19,000 if Howie goes on and finds another blue!

Noel reminds him he really is playing for nothing...

Howie says NO DEAL!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Last edited by Big-Davey on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:50 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Howie keeps box 17 to the end...

Box 16 - Kiran - 50p :D

Time for the Banker!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Monkeynut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:50 pm    Author: Monkeynut    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

I feel a big DEAL coming on!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:51 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Howie rushes to the lads to be congratulated (Kiran, Marley and Darren), then followed by James who has now come down to the table!

The Banker isn't entirely sure how this decision is going to go...but the offer is, indeed...

£19,000

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:53 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Howie, after deliberation with his son...DEALS! :D

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:55 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

But Howie had the £50,000 in box 18; Angela reveals the 10p in his original box 17...

The Banker rings and wants to give Howie a gift; a t-shirt, which has on it, you guessed it - "TOUGH LUCK HOWIE, YOU GET NOTHING!" :lol: :D

Last edited by Big-Davey on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:55 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Second time in a row should have believed more in the box. Someone should have reminded him what he had yesterday, £75k which means more than likely he would have gone for it.

But, still a good win, just shame not a banker spanking.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:57 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

I'll tune in to +1 at 5.10 and fill in the intro to the game accordingly :)

kestral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:58 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

A BIG thanks to Davey for stepping in at no notice and covering the commentary today :smt023 Really appreciate that :D

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:09 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Nice job, Davey

Just wish the game would match your support to the forum...

Brick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:11 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Mark wrote:
Someone should have reminded him what he had yesterday, £75k which means more than likely he would have gone for it.

And then someone else should have reminded him that what he had yesterday has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on what he'd have brought to the table today.

He may have undersold the box (cue crucifiction from usual suspects) but really to have got £19k from a game where most of the reds disappeared early is no mean feat. It certainly wasn't a poor offer either. Probably a shame he didn't knock out the box he swapped away sooner, although he'd have ended up with a blue/50k finish anyway.

Brick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:14 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Plus, if he hadn't been offered that first-round swap, assuming he'd have had the same finish, Noel probably would've done the hypo-swap anyway, given he does seem to have a fondness for them...

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:20 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Haha yes, now we're all petrified he'll do it again! :lol:

Brilliant comment there KB, I agree too :| still though, £19,000 isn't to be sniffed at, and nobody here would have gambled for the £50,000 so fair does!

KP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:00 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie
International Forums Moderator

SPOILER: today's game won't be as ridiculous as yesterday's farcical ending.

OK, it's Howie, maybe it will be. I still find it hysterical that the player called Howie is a self-confessed gambler, and those of you familiar with the American version - a different type of farce to ours - will know why.

Anyway, if you're going to hit three of the Power 5 in the opening round, at least make sure none of them are the jackpot. This is set up for an early Deal if the banker-producer wants it, which presumably he doesn't. There we go, opening swap. Incidentally, let the history books state that I would not take this swap, as my opening swap would always be for, erm, the Box 17 that is now on the table. I see it as tantamount to choosing my box; I would actually want an opening swap offer with 17 not on the table...

Second round is much improved, but Howie is yet to take out any of the bottom eight, which may be of importance given that the banker-producer has chosen Howie as the recipient of every twist going on the wings, let alone here. Three grand as the first cash offer isn't going to even be considered.

And if you're going to leave seven of the bottom eight to halfway, at least make sure the one you take out is the 1p. Two-box game at 11-box; are we going to get a genuinely interesting 11-box decision? *laughing* no.

See, that's why you make tempting offers as a producer on that sort of board. If it collapses in round 4, you have no game left at the 'business end'. Oh god, the ADP is actually a cue for an even more ridiculously low offer.

Well, we at least have something like a game at five-box; four blues and £50k. Are we going to get an interesting offer, like, say, four grand? Barely two. Move along.

Hello? Oh, OK, he's resetting the blues to zero. Now that's a gamble, because he could leave an utterly irrelevant final four, and that would be dreadful television. Five grand at four-box, and I might be gone, but only because I'm uncertain as to the future offers. One more, maybe; one more it is; there goes the highest remaining blue, and the twist is now utterly immaterial. It's £50k/nada/nada, and ten grand's enough for me. Enough for Howie? Not if a Banker guarantee has anything to do with it! The guarantee almost sways me, but seeing as it'd still be marginal, I wouldn't let him have the satisfaction of changing the decision, frankly.

Unorthodox, keeping the original box to the end, and it's been criticised before... but not today it won't be, because he's got the nineteen grand! Assuming he's not about to take one of the most questionable gambles in DoND history... which indeed he isn't. Oh and that's the reason for the twist. How did I forget?

A sensational opening swap made it all possible; whether he left the original box to the end or not was utterly immaterial from the squashdown onwards. £19,000 is an astonishing result from that position.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

paulyc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:34 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Personally I think he should have got shot of box 17 earlier as it hung over his game to the end and why even swap if it was as significant as box 18? Though Howie did well to get his offers up to 19k and I doubt he would have box flipped, but by default he would have had to leave a different box to the end, and it could have been a red...possibly even Geoff's 250k.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:40 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

I always maintain that if you take the opening round swap you must get rid of your rejected box in the next round, otherwise the Banker will hold it over you.

In Howie's case though he had so much bad luck it was almost immaterial. I can't be the only one who was convinced that was going to be an unavoidable train wreck and to claw back up to £19,000 from those earlier offers was a victory in itself.

Plus of course, don't forget he already had £200 before he even started

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:53 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Well I thought that was a great result considering the board he had earlier on, he had to take several risks of going home with nothing at all and to miss the mine as it were! Really pleased the catchphrase of him winning nothing didn't come true becuase I thought he was a great contestant!

(And for all the people saying it's a diaster, well he picked 10p and random before playing, and turned it into 19 grand. That is GOOD!!) :D

And also pleased they didn't have the nerve to try the "PJ" twist again where the player left a final pair with one of each power 5 where the player didn;t open the swapped away box till the end. I think the reaction on here after PJ's game plus no phone-in box to bail them out would have put them off it! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

StatsMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:45 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Well, I've calmed down a bit after yesterday's swap debacle, and today was indeed a fantastic recovery from the lack of reds he had at an early stage in the game, it seemed doomed to disaster. Having rather disowned the whole notion of the swap yesterday, I have to admit I do find the opening swap quite intriguing, if only to see when they will open their discarded box and how that will affect the game.

Personally, I don't think it's a good policy to leave to the end, as you may well get the swap again because of it (a-la PJ), and that just gives an unnecessary complication. Thankfully, Howie had a guarantee, which was borderline to go for with a 66% chance of nearly doubling your money against 33% of nothing, I think personally I'd have wanted slightly better odds on that risk/reward, so I'd be taking £10k.

Anyway, great contestant and brilliant comeback, one of the few games this season that's had a bit of tension, but that can all change as soon(ish) it's...

HALLOWEEN! Which I can't tell you much about but it won't be short of discussion points for this forum, that's for sure!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

MisterAl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:47 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

KP wrote:
I still find it hysterical that the player called Howie is a self-confessed gambler...

Even more hysterical is the fact that (according to Noel's intro, misquoted by Davey) Howie's actual name is David Howell. Although why I find that amusing I know not.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:21 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 04/10 Howie

Well a less-infurating game than yesterday's wasn't going to be too difficult and in the end we got a great game to watch.

With an EV of £12,666.67 at 3-box, it was a marginal call to turn down £10k but given the run of safe deals we had last week, I can't begrudge a player taking a non-stupid one today.

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]