Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:56 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:56 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

KP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:54 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 03/10 Bharti
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
crazyeddie wrote:
Well, after 1,500 games, I think Noel can be given a bit of leeway for his faux pas, considering a lot of presenters would have lost their minds by now doing the same show for five years! He does very well considering all that he faces on the show.

I agree with the above in general, that swaps shouldn't be a factor in proveouts, though I wouldn't exclude them entirely. Instead, have the swap around the start of the player's game, rather than the end.

At the first offer, the banker calls and offers the player the choice of receiving an offer, or the swap. This is the only time the player will have the opportunity to swap their box, and the only time the banker can offer it.

This might sound surprising that there should be a limit on what the banker/producers can do, but this would make one of the irrelevancies of the game, become relevant. How would the banker respond to the player accepting the swap, only able to make 5 offers? Is he facing a player obsessed with a particular number, or a gambler, making them harder for the banker to read?

And if there's any twists, they should be announced at the same time as well. Players should be focused on the offers, not whether they may be proceeding one box at a time arbitrarily, or have a 2/10 chance of receiving the banker's gamble and facing a swap decision.

This is what the show's producers should embrace: player derived chaos, not producer/Noel manufactured ones! The game doesn't have to be easier, or pushed in a specific direction, to make it an entertaining one. The most memorable ones often take place when the players are in control, doing their own thing.

The production team should accept that the game revolves around the player, with only the banker's offers challenging proceedings. If players aren't being themselves for any reason, then that should be a major concern for the show's producers. Making the players uncomfortable by overwhelming them with the experience, should be the #1 priority that the producers should solve, as it translates to an uncomfortable viewing experience for everyone else watching the show.

Went a bit off the beaten path, but as you can see, there is a lot I would change. And yeah, hope the producers are reading as well. :)

Reposted in its entirety as it's cracking stuff, and would've been lost to a page turn if I didn't do that in my reply.

An opening swap offer, yes, that's good; an option on one, that's clever. The reason the swap is in the rulebook for a £250k-high finish is so that every contestant has a chance of winning the quarter-million; you can get rid of the current confusion about its implementation by just doing what the more clearly fair versions do, and allowing the player to choose the box they bring to the table. The Italian-style opening swap offer is a good alternative, especially in this guise.

The idea of laying out twists like that on the table early on is good. Heck, have a 'twist tombola' or something. Each game has one twist, denoted by balls picked out of a bowl. Reinforces the "every game is different" mantra, and players know where they stand.

(Also, as much as I hate using it as an argument in favour, you could probably get the product placement for the relevant gambling company onto Channel 4 now, certainly by the time any change would be made in taping. Given that the show is running low on budget by most reports, this could be a way of redressing the balance; if it fixes the game, I won't complain. If it means the game is twisted even further towards an emphasis on gambling, you bet I will. Pun intended.)

In his best remarks of all, crazyeddie wrote:
The production team should accept that the game revolves around the player, with only the banker's offers challenging proceedings. If players aren't being themselves for any reason, then that should be a major concern for the show's producers. Making the players uncomfortable by overwhelming them with the experience, should be the #1 priority that the producers should solve, as it translates to an uncomfortable viewing experience for everyone else watching the show.

Endemol don't do 'comfortable television'. They see it as a negative. It's not, certainly not in this timeslot, and I'm frankly astonished the show has lasted this long, given that it has followed a direction that an awful lot of the target audience must find infuriating.

The longest-lasting game shows evolve subtly over time, if that. Millionaire basically didn't change one bit, apart from lighting and graphics changes, between 1998 and 2007. Two major format changes later, its future is insecure for the first time ever. Weakest Link has made one subtle evolutionary shift, that has made it a less threatening show, and it's been so secure in its popularity that it secured a promotion to BBC One. Deal or No Deal has made one not-very-subtle evolutionary shift, that has made it a more threatening show, and ratings are falling.

Coincidence? Not in my book.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]