Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:14 am Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:14 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:18 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 25/03 John

Warnings: 0
The third straight turnaround from a dire situation this week, well done (sometimes bad boards so make more interesting games oddly enough!). Well deserved too as I liked his approach to the game and didn't get down at all about any of his earlier terrible rounds.

Usually I'm up in arms about SWAP-only offers at such late stages in the game, but not this time as John was quite happy for the banker to offer it, and I guess his thinking was he really wanted Box 5 and he may not get the swap offered if he had a monetary 2-box offer instead, then turned it down. And nobody can criticise him for not having the courage of his convictions. :)

But will people please stop leaving Glen until near the end of the game? I'm desperate for Noel to talk to him (I know him, incase you haven't seen the "How long has each player been on" thread), but it never happens as he always has a crunch box to open, even when Neide picked him after her deal, it was still huge as leaving £100k/blue was so ripe for a banker's gamble!!! :D

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

matt26

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: 25/03 John

Big-Davey wrote:
If box 2 was on the table I still would have dealt at £13,000...it was just too good for that board!

My lucky number on the table would see me maybe going for a few more gambles but not when the offer is a no-brainer

Really? The number you have on the table shouldn't really have any effect on whether or not to deal offers... At the end of the day, they're all identical except for the numbers stuck on the front.

Old Faithful wrote:
The two people who had been on the wings the longest for today's game (Nicola and Stacie) had the 250k and 100k :(

I thought Nicola looked especially gutted when she opened the quarter of a million. The players must know if they're the longest running player at that point, so it must be awful to not be picked and then have a massive amount in your box.

It's quite surprising just how often that happens actually. Noel goes on about the 'curse of the newbie', but in 2010 it seems to be more like 'curse of the longest runner'. Obviously they're just as likely to have a big number when their game does come, but it must be very frustrating if you play the next day and end up going away with something rubbish. For example, H had 100k in Jardi's game when she was the longest runner by a considerable margin, and she ended up with £750 in her own game...

rico7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:59 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 25/03 John

:) Yet another great game! £13,000 seemed such a great offer as the board disintegrated.
For the way John took the misfortune of losing the big numbers was amazing he really deserved the 15K win!
Refusing a cash offer, is this a first??

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:12 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 25/03 John

I probably contradicted myself there...I guess what I'm trying to say is depending on the mood etc I might feel more "confident" about big money being on the table etc

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:28 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 25/03 John

I know what you mean, Big Davey - my lucky number is 1, as it is my birthdate, so I may be inclined to take more of a gamble if I brought it to the table, although there is of course no rational reasoning as to why I should do!

Anyway, I'm enjoying these turnaround games this week, and just when it seems as if all was lost, John swaps for an OPW-defining £15k win! There's been some great tension this week, and the 15k and 100k especially have been staying late into the games. I suppose as expectation fades as the board collapses, when a decent win is recovered it's all the more sweeter!

Whereas, start off strong and you've got to maintain the luck throughout, and only a handful of players have done this (£75K Amy, Brenda, maybe Daniel would be example), most come out of nowhere!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Brick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:34 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 25/03 John

Did Brenda change tops during this game? I was sure she had a white top to start off with, then she had a black one when Noel went to swap the box...

John did well in not letting himself be undermined by previous games (if only by Noel's mentions of them) or by the bad luck he was having with the boxes. A good attitude rewarded.

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:07 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 25/03 John

sillymilly wrote:
John said number 5 was his lucky number because his daughter was born on 05/05/05 and is 5. But doesnt that make her 4? Sorry, I know I am being knit picky but shes not 5 till 5th May 2010 and we are not there yet!

I noticed that too but then given the lack of basic numeracy in the dream factory sometimes, nothing surprises me.

Two key decisions in this game:

8 box which at over 2/3 of the mean was very generous on a volatile board but no dealing wasn't a reckless gamble and then deciding not to even get an offer at 2-box (which even if I was determined to go to the end, I'd still want in case the banker threw in a offer around £7k).

We even got the special tension music at the end today.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:21 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 25/03 John
International Forums Moderator

Simon F wrote:
deciding not to even get an offer at 2-box (which even if I was determined to go to the end, I'd still want in case the banker threw in a offer around £7k)

Agreed. I mean, taking the same attitude at five-box would have been good strategy... because it'd have likely drawn a £7k offer at two-box for an all-blue round...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:25 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 25/03 John

A good game. Strange isn't it how for a random game DOND so often seems to hit repetitive cycles. Here we have yet another player who pretty much wiped out the P5 in a couple of rounds.

As a rule i'm not a fan of players who insist on playing till the end regardless because i feel it negates the first 40minutes of the show but John at least seemed to respect the offers and proved an interesting player to watch. His decision to opt for a swap only final offer was certainly a novel twist.

And another coincidence, for the second game in a row the player swaps a 3figure box for a 5 figure one, this time in live play. Can't argue with a result like that!

lcc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:39 am    Author: lcc    Post subject: Re: 25/03 John

well done on your win john glad you won :smt023 ,number 5 is very lucky for you.xxxx

Ramesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:54 pm    Author: Ramesh    Post subject: Re: 25/03 John

Well done John
takes guts to swap
Lucky 5
enjoy the money with the family
care
ramesh
xxx

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]