Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:52 pm Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:52 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jaz

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:16 pm    Author: Jaz    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
I really enjoyed that game - I don't think she was stupid at all or being greedy, like Daniel said she knew the risks. I was gutted that she didn't get the £75,000 but it was a really good game, she was brave to go all the way to the end.

Maltus

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:19 pm    Author: Maltus    Post subject:

That was a REALLY memorable game - and a fantastic player in Simone. Yes it was brave to no deal when she did, but she considered each offer carefully with her husband, and decided to press on. She really wanted to go for the big money, and you can't blame her for that. It was a devastating ending, but if it'd gone the other way everyone would say well played. I may have dealt at £25k but only because my financial situation is weak. If I had a bit more capital and security behind me I'd definitely have gambled in that situation, as the slim chance of life-changing money is worth taking, and you're not going to be in that seat again.

So I can't fault the way she played, and the dignified way she took it at the end showed that she was prepared to accept it, whatever the outcome. Its just a shame it didn't work out.

But an excellent game, and a truly polarized board for much of it. So exciting!

Mental Mickey

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:25 pm    Author: Mental Mickey    Post subject:

Location: Secret lair inside a hollowed-out volcano somewhere near Preston
I suppose it is all down to how much you need the money, and although she deserved to find the £75K in her box and was brave to go all the way to the end (after all, you'll never win big on this show unless you do go all the way!), turning down the £25,500 was pretty foolish - three low blues and two large reds is not exactly a combination in the players favour.

She got away with it though, but was unfairly punished by the banker with an insultingly low final offer of £15,500 which should have been a lot more - but he hasn't really been that generous of late has he??? Whether that swayed her determination to go on or not I don't know, but even at that level, £15K is a life enhancing amount of money on what is essentially a 50/50 bet, and with the numbers involved being just a pound and £75K, surely no-one with any sense would have turned down that last offer, even if it was insultingly low?

Last edited by Mental Mickey on Mon May 29, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamtart25

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:25 pm    Author: jamtart25    Post subject:

daniel4389 wrote:
FANTASTIC game - I take back everything I said about Simone being boring on the wings, that was amazing! Don't think she was stupid at all, she obviously knew the risks she was taking both times, and took it really well when it didn't work out. Painful as it was, it was the most exciting end to a game in ages, far more so than if she'd played it safe and dealt. I'd have taken £25,500, but I felt it was a bit mean, and the final offer was absolutely pathetic. So well done to her for going for it.

(6 people in the £1 club now! Must need a pretty big phonebox.)

I agree with this.
Simone was very brave for saying "no deal" to £25,500, not stupid like many people have suggested. How is anyone gonna win the £250,000 if they don't play to the end (or near the end in this case) !!!! I think the banker's final offer was disgusting, she should be rewarded for being brave not punished. I haven't felt this mad over the injustice of DOND since Massimo's game. If it was some 40-50 female blonde contestant, who the banker and Noel seem to be attracted to, the offer would have been so much more.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:28 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

Mental Mickey wrote:
with the numbers involved being just a pound and £75K, surely no-one with any sense would have turned down that last offer, even if it was insultingly low?

Depends how much the money means to you. Would you have accepted £10? Thought not! I'd probably have taken it (albeit extremely reluctantly), but Simone and her husband clearly felt that the risk was worth it, so fair play to them. I'd only call it "foolish" if the money would make a big difference to her life and she couldn't cope with losing it, and that didn't seem to be the case at all.

Power5

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:30 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

Mental Mickey wrote:
She got away with it though, but was unfairly punished by the banker with an insultingly low final offer of £15,500 which should have been a lot more - but he hasn't really been that generous of late has he??? Whether that swayed her determination to go on or not I don't know, but even at that level, £15K is a life enhancing amount of money on what is essentially a 50/50 bet, and with the numbers involved being just a pound and £75K, surely no-one with any sense would have turned down that last offer, even if it was insultingly low?

How many places would you get odds of 4/1 on a 50-50 chance though? That was a joke offer and I thought the Banker would give her more respect for taking the previous gamble.

never_wrong

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:33 pm    Author: never_wrong    Post subject:

jamtart25 wrote:
daniel4389 wrote:
FANTASTIC game - I take back everything I said about Simone being boring on the wings, that was amazing! Don't think she was stupid at all, she obviously knew the risks she was taking both times, and took it really well when it didn't work out. Painful as it was, it was the most exciting end to a game in ages, far more so than if she'd played it safe and dealt. I'd have taken £25,500, but I felt it was a bit mean, and the final offer was absolutely pathetic. So well done to her for going for it.

(6 people in the £1 club now! Must need a pretty big phonebox.)

I agree with this.
Simone was very brave for saying "no deal" to £25,500, not stupid like many people have suggested. How is anyone gonna win the £250,000 if they don't play to the end (or near the end in this case) !!!! I think the banker's final offer was disgusting, she should be rewarded for being brave not punished. I haven't felt this mad over the injustice of DOND since Massimo's game. If it was some 40-50 female blonde contestant, who the banker and Noel seem to be attracted to, the offer would have been so much more.

It all depends on the board, though. Simone made a gutsy, albeit very very risky, decision to no deal when she only had two reds left. The chances were that she'd take out one of them and, as happened, she was forced to play til the end. Both Morris and Kirsty were more justified in their no dealing until the end as their boards were a hell of a lot stronger than Simone's at that point.

Mental Mickey

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:35 pm    Author: Mental Mickey    Post subject:

daniel4389 wrote:
Mental Mickey wrote:
with the numbers involved being just a pound and £75K, surely no-one with any sense would have turned down that last offer, even if it was insultingly low?

Depends how much the money means to you. Would you have accepted £10? Thought not! I'd probably have taken it (albeit extremely reluctantly), but Simone and her husband clearly felt that the risk was worth it, so fair play to them. I'd only call it "foolish" if the money would make a big difference to her life and she couldn't cope with losing it, and that didn't seem to be the case at all.

I would hope that the banker would never be so mean as to offer me £10 at the final box stage if I was sitting with either £1 or £75000 like Simone was.

A fair final offer would have been in the vicinity of £30,000, but I'm afraid those days are long gone.

I wouldn't have been happy, but I would have probably taken a final offer of anything above £5K, cut my losses and run. But then again, I'd never have gotten that far as I would have taken the £25,500 a round earlier. :D

Simone didn't seem all that bothered, she was there for the experience and the game, and if she had fun then all credit to her. It still would have been nice to take some money home though! I'd have played it differently, but then that's me. :-D

daniel4389

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:43 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

Mental Mickey wrote:
I would hope that the banker would never be so mean as to offer me £10 at the final box stage if I was sitting with either £1 or £75000 like Simone was.

Heheh, I know - just trying to show how there has to be some point at which the offer is "insultingly low" enough for you to go for it. Personally I'd have No Dealed £5k in an instant, but like you said, everyone plays it differently - it would make for a pretty boring show if they didn't!

Richie Rich

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:19 pm    Author: Richie Rich    Post subject:

i reckon the banker was right to offer simone a low offer at the very end.
she demonstrated that she hadn't been keeping track of the game by never knowing how many boxes she had opened in each round.
I would have exected a £30k offer at the final hurdle, so he really was punishing her.
Never mind, £1 is a lot of money to some people I suppose.
I think there's a fine line between greed and bravery.

Lins

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:28 pm    Author: Lins    Post subject: sitting in the chair

I thought Simone showed lots of nerve and courage today. You never quite know how its going to go until you sit in that chair. All the things you think up and plan go straight out of your head. Today was true entertainment. A brilliant show and (I think) a great player.

Well done Simone :D

mary sue

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:42 pm    Author: mary sue    Post subject:

Great Game today. Very sorry at the end. Simone deserved more.

MichaelC

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:51 pm    Author: MichaelC    Post subject:

Well it was a good game, very entertaining - but I'm sorry, if I'd have been playing, I'd have taken the £25.5k and run. 3 blues left with £75/250k? The much for me, but if they'd have been reds instead of blues I'd have gone on.

I was on the phone with my eldest brother at the end, and with the £1/£75k left, I said "If I was the banker, I'd make this a really low offer to encourage her to open the box and get £1" - seems I was right, cos that's plainly what the £15k offer was. To be honest, if I'd not taken the £25.5k offer, I'd have been that relieved that the £75k was still in play, that I'd have taken the £15k and been happy!

Cheers

Michael

smooth_criminal

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:59 pm    Author: smooth_criminal    Post subject:

One of the best games ever, but I'm gutted she only won a pound. The banker was cruel to just offer her a low amount, and I'm CONVINCED he would have said the offer would have been about £30,000 had she already dealt.

simone

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:29 pm    Author: simone    Post subject:

Shame she only won a pound but it was a really good game. If that had have been me I would have run when i was offered the 25 1/2K

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:08 pm    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Quote:
Terribly stupid if you ask me. She should have dealt WAY earlier. What was she thinking ?!? Chalk another one down to greed I think and getting seduced by the big numbers.

Although I can understand being caught up in the moment when the game is becoming exciting, I would appreciate it if we could avoid calling the players "stupid", or anything similar, when they play the game.

If Simone reads this thread, and saw several comments calling her stupid, she might reconsider joining the forum, and that would be a shame.

And though a player may be perceived to be "greedy", with such poor offers throughout this game, if she were to have dealt at any stage, she would have declined at worst a 3:1 return on her money. If you were playing, you would have to be very risk averse to deal in her shoes.

I say all of this because I like the forum and everyone here for being friendly, welcoming and thoughtful. It wouldn't be the same if there were offensive comments posted about the player's choices each time they played differently to how you would have played.

Mental Mickey

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:26 pm    Author: Mental Mickey    Post subject:

crazyeddie wrote:
Quote:
Terribly stupid if you ask me. She should have dealt WAY earlier. What was she thinking ?!? Chalk another one down to greed I think and getting seduced by the big numbers.

Although I can understand being caught up in the moment when the game is becoming exciting, I would appreciate it if we could avoid calling the players "stupid", or anything similar, when they play the game.

If Simone reads this thread, and saw several comments calling her stupid, she might reconsider joining the forum, and that would be a shame.

I say all of this because I like the forum and everyone here for being friendly, welcoming and thoughtful. It wouldn't be the same if there were offensive comments posted about the player's choices each time they played differently to how you would have played.

That was my original quote you've pasted above there, so I'll take time out to reply to this.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but judging by the posts on here, most of us would have dealt at £25,500. Those that wouldn't would surely have had to deal at the final stage when faced between a £1 and £75K choice or taking £15,500. Simone decided not to, I don't particularly blame her for that (£15K was an insult and low considering the £75K was there), and although 'stupid' might be the wrong word ('unwise', 'brave' and 'foolish' might be better ways of describing her decision - I was in a hurry to type out the commentary at the time) it was not meant to offend, and if Simone ever does read these pages I hope she realises that. £25K or even £15K was meaningful money, and I'd like to have seen her take it rather than face going home with a quid.

I don't gloat when people go away with peanuts (unlike those on certain other DonD forums who just go for insults which is why I like here so much) and would very much liked to have seen her win big money, so although maybe I should alter the word 'stupid' in this thread to something less ambiguous (I am the main offender!) I'm not going to. So there. :lol:

david3383

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:03 pm    Author: david3383    Post subject:

What I would have done in Simone's shoes:

1. Looking at the state of the board when the Banker offered Simone £25,500, I would DEFINITELY have dealt.

2. In the VERY unlikely event of being risky enough to go on, I would DEFINITELY have taken the £15,500 with just £1 and £75,000 left on the board, even though it was a rather derisory offer.

David, you're obsessed with trains and bloody Barnsley. - 22identicalboxes

lisa

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:07 pm    Author: lisa    Post subject:

Me too but without players like Simone, NO-ONE is ever going to win the £250,000, so my hat off to her for having the sheer nerve to go for it.

Maltus

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:47 pm    Author: Maltus    Post subject:

lisa wrote:
Me too but without players like Simone, NO-ONE is ever going to win the £250,000, so my hat off to her for having the sheer nerve to go for it.

Agree with that - it'd be so boring if everyone made the sensible choice the whole time. And though I hate to say it after a show like that, with regards to winnings, you need the bad games to appreciate the good ones. It makes the show what it is.

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]