Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:08 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:08 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:53 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

Warnings: 0
Simon F wrote:
Noel's forgotten Richard then and I guess we have a new benchmark for the possible worst deal ever

For comparison Richard's deal of £22,500 was 46% of the mean and 85.75% of the FD.

Ronnie's is 33.6% of the mean and 67.2% of the FD.

Meena's stats for her £3,500 deal were 31.5% of the mean and 78.4% of the FD so debatable which was the worst deal statisically.

At least we got the statement from Noel at the end that the deal wasn't statistically right for the board but may have been the right decision quantity wise for Ronnie - not sure he was right though.

I'd love to see the statistics on 3rd offer deals OPWs etc against all games again though.

Last edited by Simon F on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

travis P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:55 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

Simon F wrote:
Has a presenter ever sponaneously combusted on TV before?

Noel almost sponaneously combusted once. Remember his massive rant to a certain council on Noel's HQ in January?

KP wrote:
Noel says he respects the player's decision and it's the player's game.

In much the same way that Jeremy Kyle respects his guests and it's their show, presumably.

Noel does have a heart and care for those in the studio (he just wants the contestants to make the most of the opportunity) where Jeremy Kyle doesn't and treats his guests like sh*t. Which is why only chavs loves watching The Satan Kyle Show and the rest of the UK despise him.

At least today's game made it another unique and interesting one to talk about.

maggieq

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:55 pm    Author: maggieq    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

:smt009 well for me that was up there along side Richards game(along time ago)so frustrating at that moment but he got what he wanted/his wifes face was a picture :x
suppose its enough for a cruise.enjoy the dosh Ronnie.

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:57 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie
Administrator & Global Moderator

To be honest, I found that game really interesting. Yes, it's exciting to get brave 'no deals', but the cautious deals from time to time make it interesting too. I found the rounds after he dealt almost as 'exciting' as the rounds following a brave 'no deal', as we waited to see whether Ronnie had missed out on a huge sum of money.

Really cautious decision though; probably the most cautious for at least 18 months! Still, as Noel did say, it's Ronnie's game and he can do what he wants with it. £16,000 was right for him and that's fair enough. But he had such a golden opportunity with that board, and I'd have thought that most people would've played on at that point.

Still, well done to Ronnie for producing a controversial show! It'll be interesting to see what Noel and the banker are like tomorrow.

JS Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:59 pm    Author: JS Boy    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

I wondered if he changed his mind and dealt because he was embarassed by Noel walking into the audience etc.
Anyone else wonder what Ronnie did after the Police? By my calculations he would have left the Police at about 39/40

matt26

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:03 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

Noel seemed to be really straining himself to stay calm there.

£25,000 was a tad inflated, but not hugely so I guess. £17,500 at 5-box was ridiculous though; Rob only got offered £10,000 on a marginally worse board than Ronnie's. It's a shame that he missed out on an extra £34,000, but don't forget that £16,000 is a huge sum of money by almost everyone's standards.

Though really, most people would probably have dealt one of the three offers that followed anyway, and thus wouldn't have won £50,000.

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:07 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

JS Boy wrote:
I wondered if he changed his mind and dealt because he was embarassed by Noel walking into the audience etc.
Anyone else wonder what Ronnie did after the Police? By my calculations he would have left the Police at about 39/40

I was confused about Ronnie's age! Noel asked if he did national service, but he would've been too young for that, as according to the official site he's 66...

KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:10 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie
International Forums Moderator

Tweet of the game came right at the start and I missed it:

I just generated my #TweetCloud out of an hour of watching repeat episodes of Deal or No Deal. Top three words: Noel; stop; and voices

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

JS Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:11 pm    Author: JS Boy    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

h2005 wrote:
JS Boy wrote:

I was confused about Ronnie's age! Noel asked if he did national service, but he would've been too young for that, as according to the official site he's 66...

I think he said that he joined the Guards at 17 and a half, did 6 years and then 16 years in the Police. I think National Service went until the early 1960s btw

Last edited by JS Boy on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:11 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

matt26 wrote:
Noel seemed to be really straining himself to stay calm there.

£25,000 was a tad inflated, but not hugely so I guess. £17,500 at 5-box was ridiculous though; Rob only got offered £10,000 on a marginally worse board than Ronnie's. It's a shame that he missed out on an extra £34,000, but don't forget that £16,000 is a huge sum of money by almost everyone's standards.

It's an excellent sum of money but I wouldn't call it 'life changing'. He clearly wasn't desperate for the money as he was being encouraged to go on by his wife so why didn't he? :?

Maybe David could explain to us about the 'fear' of winning a blue again and why the show is taken so seriously by some contestants?

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:18 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

alexandercbrown wrote:
Maybe David could explain to us about the 'fear' of winning a blue again and why the show is taken so seriously by some contestants?

I think the 'fear factor' of winning a blue only really kicks in when you have more blues than reds (and especially if you don't have many of the Power 5 left).

However, Ronnie had such a strong 11-box board that even knocking out big values would've still left him with a board which was still pretty strong.

Perhaps Ronnie was just an extreme example of my 'fear of winning a blue' theory...

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:21 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, etc...

All I can say is that now that the £50k has been on the table again and not won.

Watch the next 21 players who will go further than Ronnie and then crash and Burn to win a blue...how lovely... :roll:

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:22 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

Even if he'd taken out three of the power 5 next round, I struggle to see the offer being much less than £10k! He had to basically do that to make the deal the right thing to do TBH, as the offers usually get more generous once the second break is reached.....

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:26 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

Indeed, at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised that by the end of Season 5, the highest win would be £50,000

Rockjack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:52 pm    Author: Rockjack    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

For me to not pass my audition to players like this get me reet mardy :smt011

JuliePenguinFan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:03 pm    Author: JuliePenguinFan    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

Hey really feel for you Rockjack. I'm a pretty cautious person but I also felt that was a real missed opportunity to deal when he did. Yeah 16K is a very nice amount but still....it was his game.

Brick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:14 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

Has the banker ever actually rung up in live play after 2 blue boxes have been opened to say what the next offer might be?

Only ever heard him do it in proveout. :blueponder

I do think Noel tends to treat a player win as a win, regardless of when they dealt, and so only remembers the early deals that went wrong...

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:51 pm    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie
International Forums Moderator

That was another fascinating game, the contrast between Ronnie's and Ryan's characters couldn't be more different. I'll talk about the game first before getting to Noel.

The third offer was low, though after Ronnie said the Banker almost had him last offer, it was inevitable. But the deal did surprise me. It seemed as though he didn't take the more generous second offer because he would be the first to do so, though heavily pressured by Noel's claim he wasn't the type to deal then.

But I can't get outraged at his choice, as it's entirely his decision what he wants to do. The problem with critcising another person's decision, is that we don't know his situation. At the time in the credit crunch, £16,000 could well have been life changing for him. That's not to say I agree with his choice (and his wife seemed perplexed as well!), but it's understandable. The proveout was hokum, so no comment there.

I wonder if there's a psychological aspect, unexplored so far, where there are players who have very strong boards, and can't cope with the sudden expectations of those around them to play on, against their wishes. The games in mid-'08 with a run of them, and players making increasingly cautious deals after Richard's game, are other examples.

Anyway, to Noel. I didn't think he could make a more crazy rant than when he did with David's game. Wonder if the violin music was playing at the time, as being there would have been... :shock:

And what he going on about with the "torture chamber" and "fear", is anyone's guess. He says that before the game, and is surprised when the player becomes more cautious, not realising what he says and does is influencing the player, making the opposite of what he wants happen.

I'm honestly finding it hard to write about his antics without laughing, as they were so absurd! Maybe that night, when he looked at his picture of h2005 adorned on the wall in his bedroom, he thought to himself: "Oh, David, you wouldn't have dealt the third offer with the power 5 on the board." :lol:

JS Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:23 pm    Author: JS Boy    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

So, are we not going to explore the reason(s) why Ronnie clearly changed his mind about dealing? I thought Noel was going to, but then he got side-tracked

paulyc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:35 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 29/11 Ronnie

When Ronnie was in the wings he was always telling the player if they couldn't handle going home with next to nothing then to consider the offer, most noticeably Rio and Caz's games and he was quite correct in their games. Even my Missus, who doesn't follow the show that much, said he would deal early. I didn't think that was necessarily the case, just that he was reminding the players that they needed to risk going home with a blue if they went on, and given the board he had I would have thought he would have risked another round.

That board was great when he went and as others have posted, the offer was low because the banker saw he was seriously tempted to go at the 2nd offer and he even said at one point before he dealt that he didn't see Ronnie as a history maker. I wonder if this influenced his deal, as he might have felt he would have to work hard to prove he was a player for the banker to worry about. Its interesting how they look at a player. Ryan very often would say he would play on but there were times when he said he would have dealt, given the board, yet the banker chose to highlight his instinct for a gamble and the offers were very good due to this.

Of course, the prove-out offers were over inflated, as the banker already saw Ronnie as an early dealer, so had he went on there would have been no need to give him the top end of the offers. I think that hypothetical 50k offer was well over inflated. It was an early deal and cautious but certainly brought a different dynamic to the game. And lets be honest a lot of braver players go home with far less.

I remember a while back there was stats man on the show and he went at the third offer for 16k. I dont think his board was as strong as Ronnie's though but it turned out to be the peak of the game. Enjoy that Dosh, Ronnie. ;)

[ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]