Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:08 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:08 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:47 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Total silence greets the offer...

Jason says NO DEAL

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:50 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

21 - Sharna - £3,000

2 - Chapola - £5

The banker phones, and Jason says he was going to ask him a question! The banker says if the next box is £10k, the offer will be £36. If it's not the £10k, the offer will be £3,600. Jason wants to know if Jason can swap his box for another box! The others ask how he'll choose which box to swap for, as they're both the dates of his children's birthday.... the boxes he'll be left with are 9 and 7, and the others point out that 9 and 7 add up to 16, which is the box he currently has!!

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:51 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

The banker speaks to Jason...

Banker's offer:

SWAP

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:51 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

Jason says NO SWAP :?

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:52 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

7 - Kate - £10,000

Banker time with £10 and £100 remaining...

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:53 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

Banker's offer:

£36

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:53 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

Jason says NO DEAL

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:54 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

Jason wins £10 from his box 16

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:54 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

9 - Tristan - £100

Jason says he's now thinking back to those 2 numbers he wished he'd kept!

KP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:13 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason
International Forums Moderator

One-post summary.

Several players want to go to the Caribbean? This episode was filmed in the spring; in the interim period, there has been most of the hurricane season, and the Caribbean has escaped largely unscathed from it so far. Jason's travel aspirations are on the other side of the world, and are rather touching, and probably the story that got him to Bristol. He's on a rush to go one round further than the ADP, which probably sealed the deal, pun very much intended.

Three blues and the top two in the opening round will rather help such a path; the offers will be lower, but the stability remains. Offer is reasonable, Noel's suggestion that a £75,000 board at 17-box is 'balanced out' is not. Oh crumbs, he meant to leave the top two - that's why you stick to a system and don't rush! And now £75,000 goes... blue, useful mid-red, and the Banker has quite correctly realised that nobody gets to spend two weeks in Bristol if there's the merest inkling that they'll take a 14-box offer, so he doesn't make one! Noel wrongly claims there's never been a 14-box swap offer, which rather conveniently airbrushes from DoND history the game of someone who paid even less respect to the offers than he does, and won a blue for his troubles. Jason says no swap because the swap is "confusing". It's like the worst of the forum made it into the chair.

Rubbish board. Jason is quite wrong to dismiss the first four offers out of hand - this isn't a special week, you know! - but quite within his rights to play chase-the-money with this board and offer.

Crumbs.

Talk about a reality check - the man who was about to dismiss the fourth offer now says that £750 is a 'very nice sum of money'. The Banker brilliantly responds by offering said sum. Of course we play on, with all the oranges in play.

Oh.

Of course he's going to play on when the Banker actually says the offer is half the mean. What? Offer guarantee at three-box, and the man who said swaps are 'confusing' asks for one? And gets one? And rejects it?

This show is unintentionally hilarious. And £10,000 going was utterly inevitable.

Amidst that hilarity, we all managed to ignore - except Jason - the fact that we very nearly got a huge-money game there, as following the system would have meant the top two in play at five-box and he'd have ignored the first four offers, potentially leading to a monster five-box offer in excess of £50,000! That was a lot closer to a mega-money game than any of the games the usual suspects complain about!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Skyline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:13 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason
Forum Games Moderator

What a boring game. Only two people posted... :(

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:50 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

I was at College for longer than I thought...

Still, what a disastrous start to the game, The Banker must be on Cloud 9 that it's all going so well for him :(

mallard2007

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:54 pm    Author: mallard2007    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

well this is a quiet thread! Possibly the quietest I've ever seen! I remember when the forum crashed when David (h2005)'s game was being shown, due to the number of people posting and visiting.. :lol:

I didn't understand why Jason refused the swap and then asked for it later on :ponder: And then refused it again :eyes: Still it didn't make much difference did it, unless he'd swapped for £10k!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:15 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

You can't get worse than that game, simple as.

Least tomorrow it SHOULD be marginally better...at least you'd expect it to be! :?

But it's worth noting another Fail...this wasn't the first time the Banker offered a Swap at the second offer (Craig?) :)

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

maggieq

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 pm    Author: maggieq    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

:smt015 l fell asleep in the middle of this game.that just about sums it up.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:31 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

He must have been unable to choose between his kids' numbers...so to not swap at all was probably easier for him

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:49 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

Absolutely GUTTED. Jason had been possibly my favourite of all the wings in the recent shows I have seen, then he has that happen to him. Not to mention having to suffer being stood next to an animal-noise machine for 12 shows, who thinks he's funny and he isn't in the slightest.

KP is right about the big-money game it never was. Now we see the virtues of writing the numbers you'll pick down before the start of the game. And to think it's only old people who forget where they are doing that!! :)

Is that the first time since Craig whose first three offers were swaps that there's been a swap offered more than once? I can't remember if anyone's been offered a swap at the first offer, declined it, no-dealt to the end then got offered the swap again after no-dealing at 2-box? (oh wait, exclude PJ from that question.....)
It did over-complicate things though. How do you choose between your two childrens' numbers?

Anyway, I wished he could have won a lot more as the was a real decent chap. :(

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

MisterAl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:42 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

I think that one or two people here are being a bit harsh! I found that game quite compelling, mainly because I was intrigued by the significance Jason put on the numbers. If I were standing on the wings for that game, I think I'd have definitely wanted to remind him that it's all random, and special numbers really don't mean anything in this game!

It really wasn't anybody's fault that the boxes came out the way they did, least of all Jason's. Also, aside from the second-offer swap, the offers were usually pretty fair for the state of the board, so you can't really say that Jason didn't have any real decisions to make either. A fascinating game, just not a particularly lucky one.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:14 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason
International Forums Moderator

It was bizarre, strangely compelling, and the ending - while upsetting, of course, as it was a trainwreck of the kind that few would have avoided (the offers were of moderate generosity, but on a stable low-money board it takes practically the mean to get many players even thinking) - was unsettlingly amusing in light of the swap madness and the system deviation.

Above all, this could well be the culmination of the Banker's lucky streak. This could have been a Power 5 win if he'd followed his system - instead, it's a tenner. It can't get any better for him, surely?

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:21 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 21/09 Jason

I will say it shows the virtues of having a system - if his system meant the boxes containing the £250k and £100k were picked out early then so be it, but he was beating himself up about having meant to leave them to the end, but then he seemed to have so many boxes he wanted to leave his brain basically got mashed up!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]