Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 pm Last visit was: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:55 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
Ooh, the Banker placing the pressure on him to take a chance but Des isn't swayed, he's got fifty grand, he's had a few minutes to think about how fifty grand will change his life, and he's not going to put any of it on the line.

Arguable either way, but you cannot realistically argue with a win that big. And the hypo-swap denies the guilt trip! Given that the Banker was doing that job just when Noel wasn't, you have to say that's karma from the boxes right there.

If that's an OBW, I want a few more!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Last edited by KP on Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:55 pm    Author: Billy    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

And it's another Banker Spanking! Shows how much I know :-D

Great game and hope he enjoys the £50k!

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:57 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

Yep, an OPW thanks to the Post-deal Swap

Can't blame him for taking £50,000, enjoy it, Des :smt023

KP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:59 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

We usually discount the swap making this an OBW, but you couldn't ask for a happier OBW... the Banker certainly isn't going to feel like a winner after that one!

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

DanS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:41 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

I thought that was a very good game, and congrats to Des on the banker spanking. I myself was convinced that he might be the first male £250,000 winner, and I thought he was going to decline the £50,000 after Terry gave him his opinion. I also thought he was going to take the Banker's Gamble too, especially since the minimum he could go away with was £20,000. I thought he was quite an unpredictable player.

But congrats to Des on winning £50,000. Great game.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:24 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

Season 5 rocks! Especially when you consider the corresponding game to this one is season 4 was Nikki Tucker! :)

Great game that was. Des was unpredictable to read for me, he seemed open to the right deal but willing to go for it if the offers weren't enough, and obviously the banker felt the need to go huge at 5-box to stop him, and also I really wasn't sure whether he'd take the banker's gamble or not, so the show was full of tension. There were three possible banker's gambles from 5-box too, apart from the one he had, there was £250k with either of the blues too! I predicted the 5-box way too low, I thought it would be the £35k which had just gone!

Also loads of comedy too, the newbie's box opening was the best one I'd ever seen, plus Des getting Shaun's name wrong, even though I thought the stuff with Karen made me want to hide behind a cushion slightly.

But now we've had 6 wins of £29k or more in the last 10 games!!! (And the players are geenrally making the best of their luck as well, such as Gail yesterday). How good is this? :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

bidtv

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:37 pm    Author: bidtv    Post subject: Des
Account Suspended

What did you think about todays show?

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:14 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

Well, I thought it was excellent, not that that question was directed at me. Some great comedy at the beginning and an intriguing configuration towards the end, with most of the middle amounts removed from the board. £50k was more than I was expecting, but not necessarily a cast iron deal. I would've taken it though, with 2 blues on the board still offering the faint possibility (10%) of a catastrophic collapse, and no guarantee of a much bigger offer keeping blue/250k in play.

As soon as he dealt, I thought about the possibility of a BG with 20k/ 100k, just because it would be a perfect offer for that final 2, and i'm not sure what I'd have done there. £20k being the mode win of players and above the average might've tempted me to throw caution to the wind, but on the other hand, £50k is about twice as useful to me as £20k - £100k is a tempting 6-figure lure though (is £100k twice as useful to me as £50k is another question I need to pose - probably nearly is the hesitant answer, but my curve would be slightly steeper from £20k to £50k, I think) .

It would depend very much on audience reaction and contestant advice, as in my own mind I'm unsure which decision I would regret more there!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

bidtv

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:19 pm    Author: bidtv    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des
Account Suspended

thank you statty. do you think he would of offered less if it was in the middle of the season. So do you think he only offered that high as it was so soon in the season?

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:43 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

Was i the only one not expecting the Bankers Gamble?

My thought was that we might see one on a Blue/£100k finish but £20k seemed too high a safety net for me. Oh well shows what i know

Great game though, and a very satisfying result, regardless of the proveout. Some nice humour in there too, i don't think anyone's going to forget Newbie Jason in a hurry and just what is that strange effect Noel seems to have on Ellen. :ponder:

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:13 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

James1978 wrote:
...I predicted the 5-box way too low, I thought it would be the £35k which had just gone!

Me, too. The benchmark at 53% of the mean was suggesting just shy of £40k, and I'd most likely take that saving me any difficult BG decision.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:50 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

I was thinking of the banker's gamble on a £250k/blue finish but not the £100k/£20k finish.

Well it only took 2 episodes for me to disagree with Noel's analysis that today's game was an OPW but when you win £50k, who cares?

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des
Administrator & Global Moderator

In the eyes of the show as it was broadcast, it looks like it Des beat the banker, even though it was due to the hypothetical swap. And assuming he was telling the truth about the swap, then it's a fact that he would never have won more than £50,000 from that game.

Technically, he sold a £100,000 box for £50,000 so the banker beat him, but if Noel mentioned that then it'd somewhat put a damper on proceedings! So I expect Noel will be saying how tomorrow's game could be the 3rd "banker spanking" in a row. Although if you go by Noel's logic, and if you ignore the summer break, we've already had 3 in a row due to Calum's game!

KP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:31 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

I think my 'corridor of uncertainty' in the five-box configuration would be between £40k and £45k - the only way I'd turn down £50k there would be if I was guaranteed nearly the mean on a blue/red showdown. Would the 10% chance scare me? Of course it would, but 10% chances don't scare me nearly as much as 30% chances!

Brick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:31 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

Missed the end of today's show but it seemed a good result all round.

The first part seemed to be all about opening your box as quickly as possible (think Jerry won that), promptly followed by Jason nearly not getting his open at all!!

Have to agree that the stuff with Karen in the audience was just cringeworthy.

I don't blame Des for taking the 50k at 5-box, during season 4 hardly anyone got more than 30k with a board like that (indeed, replace the 20k with 15k and you've got Lisa's last 5!). Let's hope this good run continues!

flamedtresses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:28 am    Author: flamedtresses    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

h2005 wrote:
Billy wrote:
And the bit with Noel going into the audience trying to find a partner for Des reminded me a bit of Alex's game from Battle of the Sexes!

Didn't something similar with Alain from just over 2 years ago? I seem to remember he took a shine to one of the crew and Noel and the banker made a thing of it (offering Alain her phone number, etc.)

Fabulous box opening by newbie Jason! I'm surprised no-one's done that before as it doesn't take much to accidentally put your hands too low and lift the whole box rather than the lid (I assume that's what he did!).

Noel looked rather scary then staring at Ella. :eyes:

yes it was alain. think he got a kiss off her in the end.
i thought someone had stumbled with a box before?? :ponder:

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:54 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

Overall, that was a great game. Some great comedy moments mixed in with a fair amount of tension.

I don't blame him for dealing the £50,000 or declining the BG. I'd have dealt then taken it myself..

The only thing that slightly bothered me was the hypo-swap. In my eyes, you never truly win with it. You either have what happened today (seen as a spanking despite £100k being in the original box therefore Banker victory) or you get the player missing out on more money but actually beating the Banker nonetheless.

Anyway, season 5 has started amazingly. £66,000 in 2 shows! I hope it continues.

Brick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:21 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

flamedtresses wrote:
h2005 wrote:
Billy wrote:
And the bit with Noel going into the audience trying to find a partner for Des reminded me a bit of Alex's game from Battle of the Sexes!

Didn't something similar with Alain from just over 2 years ago? I seem to remember he took a shine to one of the crew and Noel and the banker made a thing of it (offering Alain her phone number, etc.)

Fabulous box opening by newbie Jason! I'm surprised no-one's done that before as it doesn't take much to accidentally put your hands too low and lift the whole box rather than the lid (I assume that's what he did!).

Noel looked rather scary then staring at Ella. :eyes:

yes it was alain. think he got a kiss off her in the end.
i thought someone had stumbled with a box before?? :ponder:

I think the previous occasions have all been problems with pulling the seal off (Howard being a famous example) rather than lifting the lid. That said, Mary dropped the lid during Carrie's game, but that was before the camera zoomed in.

DanS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:53 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

Yeah, many people have had trouble pulling off the seal. This is the first time I recall someone lifting up the entire box.

jamesfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:54 pm    Author: jamesfish    Post subject: Re: 25/08 Des

Can someone post Jasons box opening on youtube i have to see it, i was working yesterday.

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]