Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue May 17, 2022 9:13 pm Last visit was: Tue May 17, 2022 9:13 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

rico7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:03 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week

Warnings: 0
Finally got around to watching Calum's show on catchup, and it could hardly have been scripted better. :D
I can't help thinking that Calum could have really milked it and given his Mum (and everyone else) an even tougher time by deliberating over the 40K offer but that would have been too cruel! I can't believe even Wakey would gamble on a 10p/100K finish with a guaranteed £40,000

This season has been good but I think they need to have some innovations now to keep DOND fresh.

Brick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:00 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week

That preferably don't involve contestants having to wear silly outfits?

MisterAl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:04 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week

JuliePenguinFan wrote:
Yes i did notice that ex contestant, an older lady, can't remember her name but she was nice I'm sure of it, was it in one of the special weeks she was on all dressed up in a crazy costume??

Yes, it was an older woman. She was dressed up for the 1000th show celebrations (which were actually just about to be shown on TV at the time Calum's game was recorded), but I don't think she was on the wings for any other themed weeks.

I was surprised to see her there since, like Flamedtresses, I didn't think ex-contestants were allowed in the audience without a specific invite.

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:17 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week
Administrator & Global Moderator

I can reveal the contestant who was in the audience for Calum's game was Margaret, who played just after the show 1,000 specials back in April. I only know that because I recognised her, and I'm certain it was her. Plus a little bird told me that the warm-up guy for Calum's game spoke to Margaret and she explained that she was an ex-contestant. Like others though, I don't know how she managed to get back. As far as I'm aware, ex-contestants are not allowed to be in the audience (unless they're invited back for special shows such as during the lead up to show 1,000).

Calum's game itself was quite surreal, really. I enjoyed it but not in the way that I normally enjoy shows (if that makes sense). I can only begin to imagine how tense that final round would've been for audience members and other contestants. If it had been a normal 3-to-open final round then it wouldn't have been so tense. But the fact that the banker was throwing some rather good offers at Calum, and the fact that he kept making promises about what the offers would be, made it all the more tense.

I experienced some pretty tense moments while I was on the wings - namely Alice's banker's gamble being offered, Patricia's final round and Doreen's fifth offer (as we were all petrified that Doreen was going to no deal!). But they were over and done with fairly quickly, whereas the tension in Calum's game would probably have lasted quite some time while he was deciding what boxes to open, whether to take the offers and so on. Not to mention the banker phoning up and interrupting proceedings with his "promises".

Anyway, it's been an interesting Season overall, with some considerable ups and downs, and I'm pleased to say I was a part of it! Calum's game was a rather fitting end to the Season and summed the whole Season up - strange and tense but strangely pleasing and enjoyable. Well done Calum, enjoy the money!

Profile E-mail  

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:35 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week

What a fabulous end to the Season - that game had just about everything.

Calum's personality and nervous energy kept the effective 17-box opening round insteresting and entertaining, then each box from 5-box was tense (and even seeing whether he got sunshine or rain was too). I can't add much to what's already been said, except it was finally great to see in the situation he faced at 3-box that he could get a very inflated 2-box offer if he risked losing the lot (which often happens in regular games from 5-box too if there's one standout value left) - that he didnt crash chasing the offer like Pammy for instance, or deal then found out he could have got that offer (like Stan)! Also I think Pat's game a couple of weeks was the first time I'd seen someone not chase the inflated 2-box offer and be right not to! :)

That must have been one to go and see live, and great tos ee such a great contestant who I don;t think anybody could have said much negative about him sell a 10p box for a life-changing sum, though those last round box-openers, especially Ella and Georgina didn;t half go through it!). I think I'd have aged about 10 years had I been there!

Funny how the three people who picked the sunshine this week won £35k, £29k and £40k - and the people who picked rain won £1 and 50p - I've never known fortunes so contrasting! (But I guess it is really important when no big money comes to the table - it's been four blues and Dot's £1k).

After this I can't wait for the start of season 5, the show now is unrecognisably better than it was this time last year, though I don;t know if that's just becuase the forum is just so much more positive than it was then!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

MisterAl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:43 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week

h2005 wrote:
Plus a little bird told me that the warm-up guy for Calum's game spoke to Margaret and she explained that she was an ex-contestant.

Ahem. Let me just tend to my wings here...

Anyway, here she is during Calum's game (on the left):

...and here she is on the wings during H's game:

Profile E-mail  

wkd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:53 am    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week

Thrilling conclusion to the season, epitomising all that's best about DoND. A contestant determined to realise the maximum potential of what he rightly called a 'once in a life time opportunity', gave us a real rollercoaster of a game with a dramtic dénouement that was just fantastic television.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:50 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week

Oh my god, what an amazing game to finish off a brilliant season! [See thread about season 4 in general discussion for overall season view]

I always knew Calum would give us an entertaining and interesting game (to be fair, I thought he was going to be kept until season 5..) but this just blew me away. There was so much tension at times it was unbelievable and it would have been amazing to be in the audience for it.

I'm really looking forward to season 5 now, there's still some great characters and if the games are anything like some of the ones we have had this week, then I'll be chuffed.

Profile E-mail  

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:11 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week

Just realised one of the funniest things ever was at the end when Calum said Noel was "quality"!! :-D

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:49 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week

Local news interview with Calum - http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/ ... am_family/

Not sure who this Noel Edmunds bloke is though they mention. :ponder:

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:20 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week
International Forums Moderator

Haha, nice typo/spelling fail spot. :)

The swine flu outbreak started in late April. This episode was actually taped in late March. Good to see that Calum can take that holiday in 2010, maybe they've learned from Brenda who posted here and told us she never got her holiday to New York and as such is actually the first of three £0 winners on DoND...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:49 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week

This was the one I was waiting for, great character, great sum of money, great tension, etc. that's how Deal Or No Deal should be :D

It was a great end to the Season

thundercat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:06 pm    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week

40k on that finish was immense, definate deal from me as well

not been watching recently because of work

any topics of interest?

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:34 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 24/07 Calum - Seaside Specials Week

You actually found work then? :P

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  
 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]