Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:56 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:56 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:12 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
I've just realised what an unlucky name "Irene" is on DOND. The first Irene won £5, the 2nd one won 52p and the 3rd one has just won 50p...

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:35 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials
Forum Games Moderator

Well now I must tell my cousin not to apply for DOND... :Jimmy_is_great

willrelf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:53 pm    Author: willrelf    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials
Forum Games Moderator

She's an Irene is she? :P

StatsMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:10 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

h2005 wrote:
I've just realised what an unlucky name "Irene" is on DOND. The first Irene won £5, the 2nd one won 52p and the 3rd one has just won 50p...

Yeah, I was thinking how unlucky the name Irene was on DOND before this game even started - amazing the average between these 3 contestants is just over £2!

Anyway, very bad luck there. Not a lot to say, really, it just wasn't Irene's day. It says it all that he had a successful swap at the end and still only went away with 50p. I read the banker wrong at the end there and would've kept the box, although it didn't make much difference in the end. As I said earlier in the week, these special weeks are often games of huge extremes, and so it's proving.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:13 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials
International Forums Moderator

I'm typing this post as I read the recap.

I'd pick rum and raisin today. I don't much like either, but I remember rum and raisin Crunch Corners being really quite nice.

cfd wrote:
She had a box yesterday.

Hopefully this means she has a high red today.

Quote of the day and we've not even opened a box yet.

£35,000 is going in the opening round quite a lot or is it just me noticing that amount, which is still utterly cool and interesting to this day? Three blues is good; £250k and another Power 5 is very bad.

Orange, orange, dodgy break link, Irene says something about quitting while you're ahead which Noel really needs to listen to... BLOODY HELL! Is that the first ever all-orange round?

All three amounts taken out were below the admittedly-decent opening offer, and it's a stick. Deal, or nine more to open?

Now the board's taking more of a 'normal' look, with a blue/£50k/blue round. Those who follow the game really closely can tell that £5,000 is not in the least bit respectable, but a speed-bump en route to the First Actual Offer in nine boxes and ten minutes, after an adbreak, a joke offer and something to do with ice cream. Incidentally, we've gone from half the mean to a quarter of the mean in two offers, when in a typical game we'd have done the precise opposite. £3,000 as an opening offer and £10,000 at 11-box seems perfectly normal.

cfd wrote:
Irene says she doesn't have a clue how to read the board, and would like low offers from here on in.

Note to self: never, ever underestimate cfd's caustic wit, or think he can't better his last cutting remark. If he was on the show, he'd take 75% of the mean at the third offer and then if it was an OPW he'd say something that would get Noel fired. cfd, please get on the show.

Oh crumbs, we did not need to lose The Rock. Oh crumbs, that's why. Unless Irene is a Wakeyist and has £100k in her box - or is a Fakeyist and leaves it until the end - any five-figure win now requires the sunshine twist.

h2005 wrote:
Wayne in the audience says she has to be prepared to win a blue if she goes on and Noel agrees.

Mr Edmonds, how many contestants have been goaded into No Dealing when they were not prepared to win a blue, and promptly did? I'll concede it's been two and a half years since the last big spate of them, but there was one only a few months ago. Possibly less, considering you crank out three of these per day.

Well at least she took out two low blues either side of the top amount. And the gimmick isn't so painful here, as on these stakes in a two-box game most contestants are into auto-Wakey mode.

Good comedy with the 2p offer. The actual offer was so bad they might as well have stuck with the 2p.

Oh crumbs she's only gone and pulled off the 1-in-60 shot of the nightmare round in descending order.

I'd actually Deal here at two-box, and make a big point of how it's the only offer of the game above half the mean. The next most generous offer - in absolute as well as relative terms - was the first one. Also, it was so immediately apparent they were engineering a 1p win to create a 22nd before the season ended in order to make a thing of it in pre-season hype, I'd have made sure of denying them the opportunity. Fortunately, the Banker had the dignity to offer the swap. It was the most relevant offer of the game.

The Banker may as well have looked in Box 4 at 17-box and be done with it.

And that's ten minutes of my life I'm not getting back. I feel sorry for those who saw it and lost forty-five, or thirty if they had the courage to recognise the Banker's plans and not get seduced by the premise that the middle part of the show had any televisual value whatsoever.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

travis P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:39 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

KP wrote:
And that's ten minutes of my life I'm not getting back. I feel sorry for those who saw it and lost forty-five, or thirty if they had the courage to recognise the Banker's plans and not get seduced by the premise that the middle part of the show had any televisual value whatsoever.

Don't be sorry for me I was forunate to watch the whole show today and won't be complaining. Irene had an unlucky selection and once again someone on the wings was adding fuel to The Banker's fire by butting in. I felt he was generous offering £1,000 at the final five.

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:03 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

If there was good entertainment around the game that's great. Not much of a game though.

Having said that this wasn't a waste of my time as cfd had me howling with laughter! :D

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:00 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

Well today the banker set a new record for low probability predictions - given that he knew the 1p was in the box, the probability of hitting it and getting a £4k minimum offer was 0%.

Instead he gave an offer so low that there was a 50% chance of having a 4 figure offer, 25% chance of possible an offer in the hundreds (or a joke offer most likely) and 25% chance of disaster. Unfortunately for Irene, she hit the last one and crashed and burned.

It's a good job we had a cautious player yesterday, otherwise we might have had 3 blue wins in a row (although Dot swapped her orange for a blue win).

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:23 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

I can see any Irene's who have applied for the show or maybe future contestants rushing to the deed pools asap. :D

I'm not half as upset about this game as I was with Dot's - this was just a pure and simple trainwreck whereas Dot's was a great board turned at the last minute. And I thought Irene remained remarkably stoic given what had happened to her - but to be honest even if she had picked the sunshine I think the end result would have been the same given the order the three boxes came out (highest first every time!).

I'm thinking basically now anyone who had the banker see in their box and they have a low amount is essentially screwed unless they're extremely lucky/clever or both, and also the three games the banker saw in the boxes last Xmas he was probably playing to lose! I bet if Steph had picked the rain the week's winnings so far would have totalled £1.60.
:shock:

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:06 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

Well this is certainly proving to be a week of extremes, poor Irene never really had a dealable offer though that's as much down to her bad luck with the boxes as anything, I don't think she at any point had a board that the Banker would have considered threatening.

Doubly unlucky losing out on the ice cream, though that's three days on the trot the sunshine has been on Noels right i think which is quite unusual. Once the Banker knew she was sitting on the penny she didn't stand a chance.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:12 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

Out of interest, haven't all the "RAINS" been on the right side so far? Presumably they are quite easy to change around, but it'll be interesting to see if that trend continues the rest of the week...

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

cfd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:27 am    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

haha KP. I'm glad this show was good for something :)

I hope Irene isn't a member of this forum like some other past contestants. I'm probably not in her good books :/

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:24 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

This was a predictable game...yet again the brilliant editing unfortunately gave away the game to be an unavoidable trainwreck.

I was always wondering if he'd ever reveal he saw the 1p on the table...because there's always more to play for the player would never believe him! Ach!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

JuliePenguinFan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:43 am    Author: JuliePenguinFan    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

bad luck there, what a shame, but she took it on the chin.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:46 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

An unavoidable trainwreck. No other way to describe it. Bad luck and no decisions to be made throughout.

Which is a shame because had the game gone differently, I think Irene would have done very well.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:53 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

It wouldn't have mattered how she read this game, that board in this special week meant the only way superior board-reading abilities and a different resultant Banker relationship would have saved her is if she'd picked the sunshine at five-box and got a decent bailout. Even that may not have been enough, and would not have been enough for more than an orange win. In an ordinary game, an eight-box bailout could have come her way (perhaps regardless of how she read the board), but as we all know, we're on 17-box opening rounds this week.

Truly an unavoidable trainwreck.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:56 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

I don't mean the sun/rain twist as such, I meant that had she had Steph's kind of board for example, then she could have done well.

To be fair, I actually like the "17-box opening rounds" as you put it in these special weeks. Getting to 5-box and the added twist makes the game a bit more interesting for me. Hence why I found Halloween Chris from last year's game a bit boring...

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:58 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/07 Irene - Seaside Week Specials

Oh that game (and that proveout) was just hilarious.

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]