Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Wed May 25, 2022 11:45 pm Last visit was: Wed May 25, 2022 11:45 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:56 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
Well... that seemed to be a boring game - only 2 people were replying... o_O

Profile E-mail  

Muriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:01 pm    Author: Muriel    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena

I really can't be doing with all these blubbering contestants, if they can't take it what are they doing on the show?
I've applied to go on the show and I shall be as hard as nails, having said that I am a very hard woman, I always fight fire with fire.

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:01 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena
International Forums Moderator

Good grief, they're falling over themselves (almost literally) for happy endings now, but the game has karma, and a bad decision (and at those stakes with a spendable blue, that was a bad decision on the gamble, especially given that she No Dealt the same amount when it was a much higher percentage of the mean at 5-box, albeit with one to open) gets punished.

If she was that cautious with a blue win on the cards she should've gone at 8-box!! Just plain bad board reading once again and a deserved OBW even if the Banker's messing around with the gameplay a-gain. Can't judge the player's character as I didn't watch it, only her decisions which just seemed irrational for any reasonable utility curve.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Kanga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:05 pm    Author: Kanga    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena

That seemed a very low key game - perhaps after Simon's energy. There were never any big offers and she actually went for the lowest offer in the game.
I was expecting her to deal at 5 box for £4,000 and I think the banker coming back with an offer at every box actually worked against her.
She might feel she missed out on £15,000 but in practice if she had gone on to 2 box she would probably settled for about £6K so I don't think she missed life changing money.

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:12 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena

Oh yes, it was an OPL!

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

never_wrong

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:21 pm    Author: never_wrong    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena

That game was horrible to sit through. I don't know her circumstances but seeing her sit and cry through the entire last third of the show was depressing. She wasn't going to win 1p (unlike Olivia last week who took it with great grace) so the OTT reactions to winning £3.5k were quite unpalatable. And I resent the Banker giving her 76384723 chances to win the highest amount possible. Was it because she cried that she was given an offer after every box and the Banker's Gamble?

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:23 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena

Fortunately she contrived to miss all of them - no more than she deserved in my opinion. Can't remember the last truly deserved OPL - it may even have been Terri in 2006 whose game caused me to invent the term.

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:30 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena
Administrator & Global Moderator

The banker seems to be all over the place. He didn't offer any Banker's Gambles at all for about 6 weeks after Alice got the £250k through it, then suddenly there have been about half a dozen in the last 2 months or so. Likewise with the offer after every box in non-special games (despite Noel saying it's "very unusual" - well, it used to be unusual).

The banker used to change the rules to be nasty - such as offering a SWAP only offer, offering money to past players and so on - but now he seems to be doing the opposite by offering generous banker's gambles, offers after every box and so on. It doesn't really fit with his "mean and nasty" persona. What a strange "individual".

Profile E-mail  

lcc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:33 pm    Author: lcc    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena

she just didnt wont to dissapoint her children i,m sure they will get a good holiday out of it ..................i,m sure her kids will have loved her if shed gone home with a blue or red think she had high hopes of bringing a lot of wad home ..but she should be grateful :-D its like she was letting herself down think she has a lot of issues going on....enjoy your money though geena....xxxxx :smt023

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:13 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena

h2005 wrote:
The banker seems to be all over the place. He didn't offer any Banker's Gambles at all for about 6 weeks after Alice got the £250k through it, then suddenly there have been about half a dozen in the last 2 months or so. Likewise with the offer after every box in non-special games (despite Noel saying it's "very unusual" - well, it used to be unusual).

The banker used to change the rules to be nasty - such as offering a SWAP only offer, offering money to past players and so on - but now he seems to be doing the opposite by offering generous banker's gambles, offers after every box and so on. It doesn't really fit with his "mean and nasty" persona. What a strange "individual".

Way back in the early days of the show someone on BB likened the Banker's role to the gamesmaster in a roleplaying game. His role isn't to minimise his payout - though the notion that it is is central to the premise of the game - but to create (or augment) interesting situations for the players. I have to agree - and this 'gamesmaster' right now is changing the nature of the game in light of the economic situation, to make it less like Noel's Gambling Party and more like Noel's Recession Presents. Which creates some strange cognitive dissonance, but is wildly more in tune with the times than DoND circa 2006-7.

ciderduck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:42 pm    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena

h2005 wrote:

My thoughts exactly there H. What a complete shambles of a game. It goes badly wrong for any number of players. This one came with tears, then NOEL mentioning the women's hostel part-was that necessary?-more tears, low offers, then an 'unusual' 1box offer call. Same as last week. More tears, and the second banker's gamble in a row. What a mess! 3.5k is still a red win, but not an enjoyable win by any means. I am sorry to say this, but i can't take the tears

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:43 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena

I may be in the minority here but as the founder (And to date sole member) of the Geena fan club I'm not going to be criticising her decisions. Yes, she went at the wrong point but she's not the first and she wont be the last.

It was a tough game and luck wasn't on her side, she just couldn't get through a single round without hitting a chunky red. With hindsight and given her run of luck she should have dealt at 8 box but i think she genuinely believed she could make it to the next round without hitting the £250k

Then the Banker's tease of an offer after every box in the final round was too good to turn down but that proved somethng of a poson challice and I guess she panicked, saw the £15k going in the next box and took the so-called lifeline

Probably should have taken the Banker's Gamble but it can't be that easy when you're in the chair.

Still Geena played with honesty and her heart on her sleeve which is something i personally enjoy seeing and at least her other half didn't faint.

Oh and Nic :smt046

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:03 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena

I was a bit of a frustrating game, discovering the big reds mostly in the last boxes of each round and leaving a board that I personally hate with the top 2 and little backup, a board that looks so tempting but can be destroyed so easily - and is difficult to walk away from. Maybe her expectations were a bit too high because as soon as the top 2 went, she basically dissolved into tears despite the fact £15k was still there to be won, higher than any of her offers up to that point.

The banker played on her vulnerabilty, and there was little chance of her taking the gamble (hell, there was was virtually no chance of Kerry taking the gamble from a much lower deal until most of the pilgrims and the contestants persuaded her otherwise...).

The point is, if the banker is fairly confident the player won't take the gamble, he'll offer it for increased emotional trauma on the player, however generous the offer seems (and often is with today's BG's) to us, it is a personal thing. Whatever the decision, it injects a bit (sometimes a lot) of tension into proceedings.

However today, with the one-box offers as well, I have to agree it felt a bit desperate, pointless and massively predictable, which it shouldn't be.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:49 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 17/07 Geena

Banker's gambles where the odds the banker is giving for the positive side of the coin flip are always evil when the banker knows that the money means a lot to the player (remember the one with around £9k offered with the £100k on the board). The emotion Geena showed didn't really endear herself to me and I can't argue with her decisions apart from the last one.

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]