Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:53 am Last visit was: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:53 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MisterAl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:57 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

Warnings: 0
That looked like a genuinely scary moment there with Simon's wife. It must have been horrible for the audience and the other contestants, not being able to do anything but watch. I'm so pleased that everything worked out okay.

Profile E-mail  

JuliePenguinFan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:13 pm    Author: JuliePenguinFan    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

Phew wee that was super scary there with Simon's wife and wow wee what an ending! A right old roller coaster one today! :shock: Didn't think he was going to go for the gamble after he had dealt at the lowest offer ....and then the swap, I was on the edge of my seat! WOOO HOOOO soooooo soooo pleased it worked out for him! 35K that's just FANTASTICALLY FABULOUS! :-D DOND at it's best!

Profile E-mail  

JS Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:14 pm    Author: JS Boy    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

He dealt at a ridiculous low offer. Banker liked him and his wife, banker knew he would swap cos number 15 was special to him; offers the gamble; a result, i.e. a lovely ending, job done - well done DOND producers/banker/independent adjudicator QED.

Profile E-mail  

willrelf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:30 pm    Author: willrelf    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon
Forum Games Moderator

I correctly predicted that Simon's final 2 would be blue/£35,000. :smt023

Everything happens for a reason.

No regrets.

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:12 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

Well let's be honest; anyone who read about this happening today was wanting to see how it'd pan out...but that actually did look pretty serious. Thank goodness the gamble paid off...that's two Gambles on a Power 5 amount that have paid off now in recent times, not bad!

Good game, good entertainment, and certainly a nail-biter!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:45 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

Having seen the Sun video yesterday, it was no surprise when my namesake dealt at 5 box and then it seemed more likely that he would leave £35k/blue than £20k/blue which would have been a less likely banker's gamble.

It takes bravery to swap on a banker's gamble (which I would never do) but it made a great TV episode. If the banker had decided to just offer a hypothetical £10,300 for example, we'd have just had an average TBW but today was one of those weird and exciting episodes that makes DOND unique amongst game shows.

johnr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:15 pm    Author: johnr    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

I suppose the wife collapsing must show how much pressure there is in the 'crazy chair', I was certainly at the edge of my seat when Simon dealt the gamble, then fell off my seat when he did a swap!

Had tears in my eyes when Noel was about to reveal too, which is unusual.

BoxClever

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:34 pm    Author: BoxClever    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

A memorable game.

I didn't know what was going to happen near the end, but was prepared for something pretty major when we got to 2-box at about 4.45pm.

I reckon if there had been 10p in Simon's box, The Banker would have rung back and given him something "as compensation for all the stress he went through" (Banker's gamble, swap or no swap, on top of fainting wife). He's done that for far less.

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:43 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon
International Forums Moderator

Well, erm, where do I begin?

This was all set to be an ordinary game, bad five-box Deal after an eight-box No Deal the player could reasonably seriously regret being seduced into making, hypothetical joke, TBW.

I knew there was a Banker's Gamble involved and that there was an unlikely moment at that point, but that's it. Even then, I was mildly stunned at the five-box Deal, and as for the rest, well, I don't know what else I can add. A game that will never be forgotten, that much is certain.

I'd have got a swappy Power 5 win by a more conventional Wakeyist route had the Banker offered less than nine grand at two-box, but it would have been about a thousand times less memorable.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:48 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

Well i managed to reach that game spoiler free, but it was no less tense for that.

Bit of a roller-coaster really with the board swinging in the players, favour then the Bankers and back again. There were some decent offers and some brave (but not reckless) no deals. I was half-expecting the gamble just because of the amount of time left on the clock but i never imagined we'd get anything like we did.

It all got a bit uncomfortable for me watching Simon's wife faint/collapse like that, though it wasn't until Noel stepped out of presenter mode that i realised quite how serious it was. I suppose they had to keep the cameras rolling and show clearly what happened in order for everything to be above reproach in game play terms but it did feel a little intrusive.

After all that ado i really thought Simon would No Deal the BG and hurry off to check on his wife so i was as shocked as anyone when he said deal. Taking the swap was doubly risky and based on a hunch from a girl at work if i understood correctly? Not what i would call a number of 'Deep personal significance' but, hey it worked out and that's what matters

A truly memorable game

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:40 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

Obviously quite a lot of talking points from that game, and a game that won't be forgotten certainly. I felt a bit uneasy watching that sequence with Simon's wife fainting, but I suppose it had to be kept in for continuity, and the show prides itself on being honest to viewers, even if in this case it didn't make the most comfortable of viewing.

Then to contrast that torturous moment with the elation at the £35k being revealed - there were a couple more shocks in that I wasn't expecting him to take the gamble, and to swap was also quite a surprise - I don't think I would have the nerve to swap in that situation (knowing I might've given a power 5 away for a blue would be much worse for me than never having had it). But it worked out brilliantly, he seemed a great guy from the recordings I saw, and he provided us with a truly memorable game.

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:30 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

I think we can sum this game up by saying this is a moment that would be dismissed as ridiculous if it had previously turned up in any of our 'DoND series' fan-fiction. And now it's happened for real!

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:13 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon
Administrator & Global Moderator

I think there were more unexpected events in the last 10 minutes of today's show than there have been in all of the past few weeks put together! I'd read the articles online about this show and read that Simon got the banker's gamble but had no idea what the circumstances would be.

After the events with his wife, I assumed he'd decline the gamble simply so he could be with her ASAP. So it was quite a shock when he dealt the gamble, then even more of a shock when he swapped, and then another shock when he won the £35,000! Very unusual show and one that won't be forgotten in a hurry.

I'm very glad his wife was OK... the atmosphere in the studio (what with the lights, the drama etc.) certainly had an effect on me when I fell ill during Steve's show in March, but luckily I managed to slip out of the studio via one of the fire exits and the crew took care of me in a similar way they did with Angela. I must say that the DOND crew can't be faulted when it comes to caring for people's health.

By the way, I assume the user called "monkeyhanger" on here is Simon himself (or even Angela?!) after what he said in his show about hanging monkeys!!

Profile E-mail  

noall666

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:57 am    Author: noall666    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

anyone have a link to the sun video they can share?

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:38 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon
Administrator & Global Moderator

Look on page 3 of this thread...

Profile E-mail  

noall666

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:12 am    Author: noall666    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

DOH my bad. I am in china at the moment and didnt get a chance and cant watch the episode. my bad. thx man

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:02 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

h2005 wrote:
...the atmosphere in the studio (what with the lights, the drama etc.) certainly had an effect on me when I fell ill during Steve's show in March, but luckily I managed to slip out of the studio via one of the fire exits and the crew took care of me in a similar way they did with Angela. I must say that the DOND crew can't be faulted when it comes to caring for people's health.

A dramatic improvement on the early days of the show with Geordie, clearly. Good to see they've learned from that and great to hear the insider view again.

ciderduck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:18 am    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

James1978 wrote:
(Though if he hadn't taken it it would have been ammo for people who say spouse shouldn't go on the show!!!).

just what i was thinking too. i've been annoyed by the spousal interference before, but this was something else :shock: i've never seen anyone go that colour before. as simon said it happened on their wedding day ( :oops: ), i hope now, maybe his wife will see a doc about it!

when the game continued, i was too busy going 'eh??!!' that when he said 'deal' i'd completely lost track, and thought he had refused the swap. It was only when he agreed to swap that i realised. what an outcome. thankfully I hadnt come across any spoilers, there's nothing worse, especially in a show like this.

good on simon (i think!) for taking the gamble, but how would it have panned out with the 10p win. that does not bear thinking about :smt009

(ps thank heavens for the catchup service on 4, i c*cked my timer up, and nearly didnt bother, phew)

rico7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:45 am    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

Great victory for Simon. I wonder if he'd have still taken the banker's gamble if he'd dealt at 7K at 5 box.
I couldn't help thinking that if they showed so much of the sequence of Angela being ill that it wouldn't have looked good
for the show if the result had been a 10p win, so definitely a situation where a lot was riding on the banker's gamble working out which thankfully it did! :D

Muriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:47 pm    Author: Muriel    Post subject: Re: 16/07 Simon

I'm just glad he took the swop, I've recently had a very heated argument on another site who said he thinks the show is fixed.
It would have been such an awful anti-climax if he'd won the 10p.
Him taking the swop at least showed all the doubters the happy ending wasn't a fix.
Lots Of Love
Muriel

Profile E-mail  
 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]