Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:06 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:06 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:27 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

Warnings: 0
That's more like it. A game where the player got an offer that wasn't gimmick based and not a joke. An OBW but one where the margin of the banker's victory was acceptable.

Skyline

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:50 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois
Forum Games Moderator

Wowsers... watching it on the old +1, the games hasn't started and she's already crying! :smt009

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:59 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

I saw the ending, another one where The Banker gets away with a last minute victory, it seems ages since we had a very powerful game, they're getting more and more rarer to come by these days :?

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:02 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois
International Forums Moderator

Frustrating run of games, and it was more by luck than judgment that she didn't make a clearly bad decision. Thoroughly deserved OBW in my book, but at least it was no catastrophe, thus helping next week's players...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:06 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

I think Noel is to blame for some of the caution as he makes offers appear good when they are terrible and also by emphasising how amounts of less than 10K seem really large in gameplay terms.

jonny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:22 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

What the hell was up with the makeup? That was one pointlessly surreal exchange...

23rd, 24th and 25th of July 2008 (Adam, Helen, William) recorded 7th April 2008

18th, 19th and 20th May 2009 (Cath, Sean, Lynne) recorded 4th February 2009

10th, 11th and 13th December 2009 recorded 4th June 2009

greeny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:07 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

If you saw Friday's show with the comments from Jerry about what Mark and Spencer had told him, you'd understand.

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:21 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

KP wrote:
Frustrating run of games, and it was more by luck than judgment that she didn't make a clearly bad decision. Thoroughly deserved OBW in my book, but at least it was no catastrophe, thus helping next week's players...

Not sure how an OBW could have been avoided today apart from taking the all or nothing gamble at the end. The highest FD today was just over £13,500 at 11 box and given the mood the banker is in coupled with Lois's demeanour and stating that she was awful at reading the board, there was hardly going to be an offer over £10k today.

In fact, according to what the banker said to Lois at 5 box, taking out the £75k would have resulted in a joke offer (which £3k plainly wasn't) so the deal was a cautious one but not a daft one.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:37 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

That's the worst case of Wilsonism I've heard from you, KB - that really is unfair to say! She made a costly mistake in revealing how much she thought the £5,000 offer was good, but apart from that most of the game was out of her hands!

£10,000 in the box would have either been an OBW (which it was), or she'd have appeared very false to suddenly Wakey through her game.

Luck just hasn't been on the players' side this week, simple.

And now we only have two weeks left before the summer break; this week coming being the final "normal" week of the season!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:49 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

Lois was gorgeous and lovely but it was clear she was really nervous, and these days it appears you have to be a "Fakeyist" to get decent offers. I was pleased at least she didn't win a blue and was really happy with her money, and there was never life-changing money available to her.

It does seem rather devoid of excitement at the moment I have to say. The offers being so poor meant it was four automatic no-deals and the first decision would come at 5-box, it was a real shame she hit the £50k just before it. (And the £250k was in the box 17 she'd mentioned earlier in the game, it was the kind of thing they'd only edit in if it was relevant, though I expected the £75k to stay till 2-box based on editing too). And it doesn't necessarily hold true that no-dealing to the end provides excitement either, in Olivia's game due to timings, I knew she'd be left with an all-blue finish once she no-dealt at 5-box, as there wasn't time for £75k to stay!

I don't know how it's all morphed back to last year again, it's all happened in the last couple of weeks! Indeed the only times recently I've felt any tension were when the banker did extra gimmicks outside of nomal play with Kerry's all-or-nothing gamble and Pat's one-to-open gimmick. Plus there have only been three 5-figure offers since Noel's game (Dan's 2nd and 3rd offers, and Pat's £18k at 3-box)! Plus nothing more than £10k has come to the table since Noel, shame he was a cautious player who was never going win big money!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

willrelf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:58 pm    Author: willrelf    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois
Forum Games Moderator

I really liked Lois as she was a pretty girl; glad she got out at the right time, just a shame she had £10,000 in her box in the end, but it was only a loss of £3000 so not bad. Well done Lois! xx

Everything happens for a reason.

No regrets.

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:26 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

Oh yes, and I have come to one of two conclusions about Noel: either he has no board-reading abilities whatsoever (£3,500 at 8-box was a great offer? WHAT!!), or he is on the banker's side and against the players. :)

"He could easily have offered £1k or less" (with £75k, £50k and £10k all still there at 8-box). If it had been me playing I'd have said "yes, if he just wants me to open the box right now, he can!!"

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:59 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

Fairly mediocre game with Lois, it's a shame her full personality didn't show until near the end of her game, and she didn't play a particularly tactically astute game, saying how good early offers were (when they plainly weren't!) and saying she wasn't a good reader of the board. I remember Dan saying this, but it somehow worked out to his advantage!

I was actually thinking with the £7k offer if the banker could guarantee at least 3 times more with a blue/ 75k finish, I would go for it, and then the banker did indeed phone up to offer that guarantee! I'm not sure if I'd have taken the £3k of not, I would depend on my mood.

Anyway, not a bad result for Lois, even though the luck wasn't really there again.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:55 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

Big-Davey wrote:
That's the worst case of Wilsonism I've heard from you, KB - that really is unfair to say!

I was only just saying what disappointed me at the end of the game, not Lois's decision :?

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:55 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois
International Forums Moderator

alexandercbrown wrote:
I think Noel is to blame for some of the caution as he makes offers appear good when they are terrible and also by emphasising how amounts of less than 10K seem really large in gameplay terms.

This is the most hilarious role reversal from two and a bit years ago, when he made offers appear ordinary when they were insanely generous and also by emphasising how amounts of less than 30k seem really small in gameplay terms. :P

Very true that the OBW was always going to happen with the way the boxes fell but considering the strategic errors Lois made it was only fitting that she didn't beat the Banker.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:02 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

James1978 wrote:
It does seem rather devoid of excitement at the moment I have to say.

Probably because Season 4 is nearly over

James1978 wrote:
I don't know how it's all morphed back to last year again, it's all happened in the last couple of weeks!

That's why we need to have another powerful game or 2 like Betty's and £75k Daniel's, in order to bring back the excitement and the tense of the show, cause it's starting to fade...

James1978 wrote:
Plus nothing more than £10k has come to the table since Noel, shame he was a cautious player who was never going win big money!

Agreed, all the luck has been drained since Mel won £50,000 :(

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:07 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

I found Lois quite delightful, love the players who wear their hearts on their sleeves, even if it doesn't work in their favour.

I think that all red opening round took a lot of redressing and even though she managed to match that with a run of 5 blues straight after it wasn't quite enough. Some appalling bad luck throughout and Lois didn't have the poker face to force strong offers so it was always going to be a struggle for her.

Still a decent result with a deal close enough to the value of her box to be negligable, would have hated to see her crash.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:19 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

Definitely!

Biggest thing to consider; one good win isn't going to change much, KB; because Sod's Law would dictate it'd be a simple glitch, and the following game the bad luck would probably return.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

JuliePenguinFan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:09 am    Author: JuliePenguinFan    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

Aww what a lovely player Lois was, and glad she got a nice amount that would help her clear all her debts and stuff. Yes she could have got 3K more if the had played to the end but 7K but lets not split hairs here.

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:51 am    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 12/07 Lois

Big-Davey wrote:
Biggest thing to consider; one good win isn't going to change much, KB; because Sod's Law would dictate it'd be a simple glitch, and the following game the bad luck would probably return.

Well, we did have that period of one big win after another a few times, like Early 2007 and Christmas 2008 so Sod's Law doesn't always have the final say

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]