Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:58 pm Last visit was: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:58 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:54 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia

Warnings: 0
I also heard the spolier and what needs to be said has been said already, the show is becoming sort of flat again, can we have some kind of huge win/huge banker beating please?

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:15 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia

Horrible game today. Reminds me of the game shows like Strike It Lucky and Play Your Cards Right where the cards/screens were allocated in a way that the player just couldn't win.

Of course, DOND is random but the only chance Olivia had today to get a half-decent offer was to have the £75k in play at 2 box.

If this is the banker's reaction to a 3rd offer OPW, it will just fuel Noel's "3rd offer deal = bad" fallacy.

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:05 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia
International Forums Moderator

Simon F wrote:
Horrible game today. Reminds me of the game shows like Strike It Lucky and Play Your Cards Right where the cards/screens were allocated in a way that the player just couldn't win.

Oh goodness I remember those.

Quote:
If this is the banker's reaction to a 3rd offer OPW, it will just fuel Noel's "3rd offer deal = bad" fallacy.

And this, I rather suspect and fear, is the point.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:45 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia

alexandercbrown wrote:
I also heard the spolier and what needs to be said has been said already, the show is becoming sort of flat again, can we have some kind of huge win/huge banker beating please?

Only if there's a Power Five on the table and someone goes to the end and wins it :(

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:54 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia
Administrator & Global Moderator

Olivia's offers were very low, but you could tell that each big value that went had a bad effect on her (she gasped the box opener's name in shock when a big value went, and stated how her dream was fading and so on), and I think the banker played on this. The banker likes his "themes" so I don't think Noel was the reason that he stuck for the first 3 offers. And even if he hadn't stuck, he probably would've only gone up by a couple of grand at 11-box, and I don't think Olivia would've taken it.

I also don't think Noel was necessarily encouraging gambling today. He's mentioned several times in the last few games how the players should consider the "lifeline" offers. Maybe this was playing on Dan's mind when he dealt, so you could actually say that Noel was partly responsible for a 3rd offer deal? I know Noel often says 3rd offer deals don't work out, but at the start of today's show, he described in quite some detail how Daniel thrashed the banker by dealing at the 3rd offer. Surely he'd have just glossed over it and not really mentioned it if he was really anti-3rd offer deals?

I know he made a chicken noise at Matt today, but Matt's advice was incredibly cautious - asking Olivia to consider an offer of £4,000 with £50k, £75k and £250k still on the board! Plus Noel did admit to Matt that he was wrong about Dan's game! I think Noel's constant reminders of the "lifelines" recently balances out any chicken noises he made to Matt, and/or any other things he did / said today which could be seen to encourage gambling...

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:02 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia

A harsh game, yes the Banker's offers were poor but the luck of the boxes wasn't with Olivia either - she was just too much of a red magnet, she needed at least one all blue round to get the offers upped and she just couldn't do it. That's the way it goes sometimes. Not pleasant to watch but pretty much inavoidable

Still it was a game laced with great humour from Noel's search for a new pair of shoes to Dot's priceless comment.

I did actually think Olivia was going to go at the five box offer, she seemed to be seriously considering it and i'm not sure if the talk from the wings changed her mind or not

StatsMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:58 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia

Wow, the game I narrowly missed an invite to on that morning in early March turns out to be a 1p episode, and not only that but basically a continuous trainwreck from start to finish with no much-needed all blue round and a distinct lack of sensible offers - just a horrible game!

Olivia did seem to be getting quite down after each red had gone, which may have affected the offers, however as people have said even with a few grand improvement to some of the offers, they would still have been far from takeable. Pretty much unavoidable sadly. Her game, horribly ironic as was raising money for her funeral, was simply dying a slow and painful death. But one which at least 3 forum members managed to swerve quite neatly. :lol:

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:30 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia

No!
NO!!
NO!!!

That is it. I have had it with this constant freaking failure. I thought temporarily coming out of retirement with the hopes that someone would win big would work, but it ended up being a big waste of time, just like this game. The semi prefix is now gone from retirement for me. I am oficially retiring as of this moment. I have seen more than enough. How a game show can survive with 118 1p winners or whatever is beyond human contemplation. It just boggles the mind in ways you can't imagine. I've had enough. Seriously. This shall be my final post here. I bid you all good day / afternoon / evening / night / whatever. It was nice meeting all of you, and I wish you all well in your endeavours, whatever they may be.

Enjoy the silence.

Sincerely,
-M.E. David.
Montreal, Canada

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:55 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia

Bye.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:22 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia

h2005 wrote:
Bye.

Good bye, David / H, and thank you for having me as a part of your wonderful forum. I hope I didn't cause too much trouble here. Thank you for putting up with me; I know I made it hard to do so sometimes. You were the best contestant in the storied international history of DoND, IMO. Good luck with everything.

To KB & Skyline: The fate of Box 23 and its many incarnations / messages lies in your hands now. Do with it what you must. Take care, and good luck with everything.

To KP: Keep on trucking, dude. Best of luck with the radio career.

To Davey: Keep on being Davey / Divvy. Every forum needs a good Divvy, right ;) ? Best of luck with everything.

To James & Greeny: Looks like you won't kave to worry about me posting in the What Would You Have Done Today? thread anymore. Good luck with everything.

To everyone else: Thanks for making these 3+ years memorable. Best of luck with everything.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:12 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia

You left out kestral from your list. This is not good enough. I think he deserves a personalised response from you. I hope this situation is rectified immediately.

mallard2007

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:36 am    Author: mallard2007    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia

Such a shame, i thought olivia was lovely. Hope she manages to get on that safari trip some other way! :D

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:54 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia

I knew the result from the moment her name was called due to seeing the spoiler but I was wondering how it would happen.

Not the greatest game at all, the best bit being Dot's comment.

collydolly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:54 pm    Author: collydolly    Post subject: Re: 08/07 Olivia

Tom wrote:
I knew the result from the moment her name was called due to seeing the spoiler but I was wondering how it would happen.

Not the greatest game at all, the best bit being Dot's comment.

The thing is Tom as you get older you begin to regard death as just one of those things :roll: Dot will have said goodbye to many friends and is just getting on enjoying her life, hence the brandys, and quite understand her comment, isn't she just lovely :D

Shame for Olivia but as my friends and I often say "they never leave you on top" someone will pay to see you off :roll:

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]