Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:52 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:52 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:27 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

Warnings: 0
DAMM! :(

kestral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:27 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Deborah says

NO DEAL

kestral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:27 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

Noel opens box 4 and reveals £10

Box 21 with Irene contains the 50p

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:29 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

Well that game was a shame as Deborah was a nice down to Earth contestant.

Unlike in Kerry's game I thought that twist was well executed and it increased the tension instead of rewarding cowardice. 3K was a generous offer and I mainly wanted her to deal it. She took the outcome well and there were no tears in the game.

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:31 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

And another one joins the 50p Club :smt009

This week has been horrible, no one was brave to win big, and those who were, ended up with diddly squat :(

The Banker's gonna be unbearable for the rest of this Month, unless someone comes along and spanks the Banker...

granitecitybino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:45 pm    Author: granitecitybino    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

killersbee wrote:

Not in the game I was watching she didn't......box 4 had £10 and box 21 had the 50p :? :?

rico7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:54 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

Deborah really played well, a very likeable contestant, it just wasn't to be a big money result. :(

She took it well though. Round 5 was the key and it just didn't go her way.

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:14 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah
International Forums Moderator

Desperate crash? Check. Questionable decision made on shaky grounds? Check. Desperate gimmick? Check.

Well done to Roddick and Federer for depriving this episode of viewers. From reading the recap, this was one well worth missing. Horrible luck for Deborah though even if the £3k was a Deal for most rational players (I can see why it would be turned down though).

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:58 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

Watched this one on C4+1 at the same time as the end of a far tenser Wimbledon match.

£3k seemed a really good offer at 4 box and with probably a maximum of £6k for a £15/blue finish, she was risking double or nothing on a coin-flip.

Perhaps if she'd have had the courage to go for box 5 earlier, she may have got a good offer earlier in the game, although with hindsight a 3rd offer of 2/3 the mean and 150% of the FD was worth considering.

kestral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:11 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

granitecitybino wrote:
killersbee wrote:

Not in the game I was watching she didn't......box 4 had £10 and box 21 had the 50p :? :?

I got my boxes the wrong way around at first :oops: granitecitybino is quite right with his boxes.

I've amended the commentary now.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:38 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

An unfortunate outcome for a likeable contestant who I think would've adopted her 'live for the day' strategy on a stronger board and gone to the end, but sadly it didn't work out for her on this occasion. Each round seemed to be dogged by bad luck, at least early on, and she could never really recover the situation to a decent five figure offer.

I thought £9,500 at 11-box was not too bad actually, but she still had a decent block of reds from 10k-35k and 75k at that stage, so well worth going on. £4,444 also not too bad with only 3 middle reds - it'd be hard to get a much higher offer hitting 1 of those in the next round, to hit the top 2 at that stage was a bit unlucky though.

I would've taken £3k for the reasons people have previously stated - it is basically a straight roulette decision. The fact Deborah coped with the outcome well indicates that it was probably the right decision for her to go on. I liked her determined attitude, and her game was interesting if not barnstormingly entertaining. It was a 'different' kind of game, as Noel had said.

(She did mention afterwards she had chosen box 3 (containing £250k) when she meant to leave it, although it's always easy to say that in hindsight... :roll:)

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:58 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah
International Forums Moderator

Didn't even notice the third-offer generosity, have I finally been trained into thinking the game starts at eight-box?!? Although I think it was too stable to Deal any but an exceptional eleven-box offer, and that was a merely very good one.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:38 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

Have to admire Deborah's attitude to the game, shame the luck wasn't on her side

Then again she did have a pretty decent bail out opportunity at 4 box

She did make the elementary mistake that so many people who accept a first round swop make, of not disposing of the rejected box in the very next round.

Other than that the parallels to Kerry's game were interesting though with more generous offers - shows what a difference a poker face makes.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:08 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah
Administrator & Global Moderator

Mark wrote:
Good to see it has a new sponsor.

Who is the new sponsor then?

I missed today's show and 4OD doesn't seem to have the sponsorship ad at the beginning.

kestral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:42 am    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

The new sponsor is http://www.king.com/

Travis predicted a while ago that a gaming/gambling company would be the next sponsor of the show, and he has been spot on. I am not sure how KP will take the new sponsor being a gaming/gambling site, as it will reinforce the promotion of the show with gambling :?

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:21 am    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

Well, with all that big money thrown away constantly recently, it was gonna happen sooner or later... :smt105

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

kestral wrote:
The new sponsor is http://www.king.com/

Travis predicted a while ago that a gaming/gambling company would be the next sponsor of the show, and he has been spot on. I am not sure how KP will take the new sponsor being a gaming/gambling site, as it will reinforce the promotion of the show with gambling :?

Thanks...

I suppose it isn't Ladbrokes or something, but king.com does seem to focus rather heavily on gambling! It seems strange that such a website is sponsoring the show. And yes, take cover when KP finds out. :P

It goes back to the question of whether the show is about gambling or not. I don't think Noel knows the answer to that! Sometimes he's referring to the global economic situation and saying how it's great that the dream factory can allow people to ease their financial burdens, but then on other occasions, he's saying that players should forget about what's happening in the wider world of economics and that they should "seize their once in a lifetime opportunity" etc. :?

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:29 am    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

Maybe Noel is beginning to be a Hypocrite or something? :?

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

Beginning?! :P

Check Cazzie's signature here and form your own opinion. ;)

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=230

JS Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:12 am    Author: JS Boy    Post subject: Re: 05/07 Deborah

KP wrote:
Didn't even notice the third-offer generosity, have I finally been trained into thinking the game starts at eight-box?!? Although I think it was too stable to Deal any but an exceptional eleven-box offer, and that was a merely very good one.

It was well over half the average left on the board. I believe that when you get those offers, unless you are a gambler, then you should probably take it because it's unlikely you will get a better offer

[ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]