Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:53 pm Last visit was: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:53 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:53 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
Can't argue with £27k there, would have been a questionable gamble for most, and ironically he actually won more than Emma would have done as Emma would have no-swapped to £10k (assuming she'd still have gone all the way on a £250k board, which I don't doubt she would've done). That, in itself, rather undermines any Wakeyist arguments tonight.

Great board and a life-changing sum of money won after a reasonable risk at eight-box. To complain about this result would be a little silly IMO... Heath isn't!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:01 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

Add me to the growing list of people who hate the hypo swaps.

£27,000 is a good haul. Congrats to Heath, and enjoy the money :).

JuliePenguinFan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:34 pm    Author: JuliePenguinFan    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

Well that was a bit freaky at the end, :shock: his dream really did come true if he'd gone to the end But yeah I wonder if he would have dealt at 90K at the 2 box stage. Anyhow can't sniff at 27K. That's just loadsamonry! Enjoy yer fabbie dosh Heath!

Profile E-mail  

cool-luke-18

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:45 pm    Author: cool-luke-18    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

He definitely had a poker face today, I couldn't tell at 5-box whether he would deal or no deal, it was a bit confusing the secret between Mark and Heath.

For most people £27,000 was a deal although as long as you took out the two blues you would win a decent amount.
Enjoy the money Heath.

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:51 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

He played a good game, just too bad the £75,000 and £100,000 both went before 5-box else he might well have played on with the good backup!

Never mind, at least his original box only had £10,000 in!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

matthew17

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:22 pm    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

didn't see today's game, congrats to heath anyway on 27k :-)

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:58 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

Finally caught up! :lol:

Interesting to see the big money remaining in play for quite a while in recent games, and Heath made all the calls I would have done today - £23k was a bit low at 8-box, the board was worth nearer £30k with the top 3, and £27k was a much riskier proposition at 5-box, so it would've been a reluctant deal there for me.

Shame the wakeyist-spinning swap had to take place - my questions to its relevancy are:
a) would the player really have the guts to turn down the 2-box offer to get to the position of being offered the swap? (in this case, the massive offer of £90k)
b) Could the player live with the knowledge that they had £250k all along and gave it away? To me, it would be so much more torturous than never having had it. (Lucky number or not, only a huge gambler would take on that kind of psychological mindscrew, surely?)

Oh, and c) If you've dealt, the banker has successfully bought your box, so wouldn't it be logical to base the result on what that box contained anyway?

Anyway, apart from that, it was a good game, with a couple of interesting decisions to make towards the end.

Profile E-mail  

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:54 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

Well I have to say I found it hard to "connect" with Heath (maybe it was the fact that he seemed to put on a poker face all the way through), but he was obviously a very popular member of the group, so really pleased for him and the rest of them he went out with a good win. Why the banker went from being so stingy at 8-box to so generous at 5-box is beyond me, maybe he was scared of getting it wrong - sadly on this occasion a crap 5-box offer would have been great for the game! Maybe he lowballed the 8-box offer on purpose so 5-box would appear really generous!

That was surprisingly similar to Wayne's game earlier in the year, a great board, a determined player who goes for it at 8-box, had a dodgy 5th round but keeps the £250k, deals a good 5-box offer but the £250k stays to 2-box each time, and a hypo swap (although the only difference is Heath would have brought it to the table)!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:25 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

Good game. I thought Heath was going to follow Emma's example at 5 box, so it was a surprise when he said Deal.
Can't say i blame him though, to press on with that big a gap between the top box and the first fall back is an incredibly risky and daunting prospect. Can't help feeling though that if the 5 box offer had been less than or even the same as 8-box it would have been a different story.

Another 'prophecy' comes true as well as Heath claims to have dreamed he opened the £250k in front of him.

With regard to the hypo swap i maintain that as long as the swap is guaranteed with any final pairing that includes the £250k then the swap is an important part of the proveout. Yes, Noel could have been clearing in establishing whether or not Heath would have taken the £90k (I got the impression not) but all the same the hypo swap in this instance was a valid one

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:41 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

I still maintain that saying you would swap with the £250k in play in the final 2 is a lot easier to do in the proveout. Given the low amount of people who have no dealt the final offer with the QM still in play, I'd imagine we will be waiting a while for someone to be brave enough to risk swapping the £250k away.

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:55 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

I agree with Simon - Alice didn't swap after her taking the banker's gamble did she, even though the other box was her lucky number!

The other reason I thought Heath's £27k offer appeared so generous is now I feel that the "old faithful" £26k is now a psychological barrier as much as say £10k or £20k is. Offers above £26k seem to be so much more powerful than offers at or just below it - I'd have dealt £27k today but would have thought about going on with a low-mid 20s offer!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:42 am    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

Maybe it got too much for him to gamble, therefore throwing away his dream that could've come true once in a lifetime...

Brick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:50 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

Simon F wrote:
I still maintain that saying you would swap with the £250k in play in the final 2 is a lot easier to do in the proveout. Given the low amount of people who have no dealt the final offer with the QM still in play, I'd imagine we will be waiting a while for someone to be brave enough to risk swapping the £250k away.

Spot on. I haven't watched much lately but Noel does appear obsessed with trying to prove the £250k can be won without it coming to the table at the start. It sounds like this 'dream' clouded the game and he either forgot to ask Heath if he'd have dealt the £90k, or it got edited out to make the swap more dramatic.

It sounds like a good win anyway, and all you who are saying he should've gone for it and he threw it away, well, in this case it may have been good for Heath, but relying on dreams and turning down generous offers for prestige's sake must be much harder when you're sat there. And if Endemol really wanted to create more £250k winners, they should make a more stable board people would be happy to take chances on, rather than have the 2nd highest value only being two fifths of the top prize.

lcc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:52 am    Author: lcc    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

enjoy your money heath :smt023

Profile E-mail  

cool-luke-18

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:02 pm    Author: cool-luke-18    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

If Endemol really want more £250,000 winners then they should pick more people who haven't got financial problems and can afford to go home with a blue.

Profile E-mail  

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:11 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

cool-luke-18 wrote:
If Endemol really want more £250,000 winners then they should pick more people who haven't got financial problems and can afford to go home with a blue.

There are too many contestants who won't risk 20K they've never had. I'd rather the QM was never won again than have it engineered TBH.

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:02 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

cool-luke-18 wrote:

You do know there's a global recession on at the moment?

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:11 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

But the thing is, do we really give a wooden nickel about the global recession? :?

cool-luke-18

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:46 pm    Author: cool-luke-18    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath

I understand the viewpoints but the point I am making is that what Endemol care about the most is making good television and entertainment and having a good mix of games. Even I think it would be boring if contestants didn't have to make tough decisions. I honestly think it doesn't matter to them whether they have three more QMs or none over the next year.

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:31 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 28/06 Heath
Administrator & Global Moderator

I don't think they necessarily do want to cast gamblers all the time really. Noel often says how the studio is the "dream factory" and that the show is there to make people's dreams come true, and he frequently states how much he enjoys it when the show makes someone's financial situation that bit easier.

So I don't think they'll be avoiding casting people with financial difficulties any time soon...

Profile E-mail  
 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]