Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:18 pm Last visit was: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:18 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MisterAl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:55 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

Warnings: 0
James1978 wrote:
I take it Alice was on the wings in TV time when Christopher's game was filmed too?

Actually, no. Chistopher's game was recorded on 13 February, and Alice didn't appear on screen until 15 February.

Profile E-mail  

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:55 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

After £350,000 down the drain, what's to bet that the next player will end up with peanuts? :|

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:12 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

James1978 wrote:
alexandercbrown wrote:
Good game that - I was worried that the terrible 11 box offer would lead to later poor offers but it was good the 8 box offer was above 20K and I predicted the doubling guarantee.

Endemol better be *beep* careful though with the 1p vs 250K undeal though - it might not be long before contestants deal with the expectation of this and that would be a farce.

Totally agree. To be totally honest on a lot of occasions I've thought on certain boards if there are potential final pairs I'd take the banker's gamble on, I'd deal where I wouldn't have in 2006 or 2007 before BG had been introduced!

That's my point - I only like it used rarely like in Mel's game and it's a tough decision for the player even if I'd still be in play anyway.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:47 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

Bad luck today. All the makings of a classic, but the human side to gambling meant that we had to have a "squandering". At least it was still a good payout!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:48 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul
Administrator & Global Moderator

I don't know what to make of the banker's apparent promise to make an offer of a banker's gamble on a 1p vs £250k final 2, if the player's already dealt.

On the one hand it makes things a bit predictable and could affect the offers and/or player's decisions with the £250k in play; on the other hand, as Noel said, it can make for an exciting final round where leaving the 1p and £250k could result in a very interesting situation.

However I think I'd rather the £250k was won again through crazy gambling or good board reading, rather than generous banker's gambles.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:12 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

Call me cynical but isn't it rather too easy to say you'd take the banker's gamble after the £250k was revealed to be in the box. It would have been better had Noel asked the question before he opened Paul's box.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:15 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

Yes - same as when some people say they'd have swapped AFTER their box was opened! :roll:

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:34 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul
Administrator & Global Moderator

If he was lying, surely it'd have made more sense for him to say he wouldn't have accepted the gamble? If he'd said that, then he could've claimed he'd never have won it anyway, and therefore played a better game than he did...

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:04 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

I wasn't on about today for example :lol: but yeah, some have in the past

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:10 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul
International Forums Moderator

It's true enough that Paul was the player and thus nominally in charge of decisions, but his finances will (surely!) be handled jointly, and so his wife has a stake in the game's outcome in a way the audience, wing members and host do not.

Paul still held the upper hand in the decision as it's his choice whether to say NO before he says DEAL anyway!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

DanS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:11 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

I'm gutted for him. To think, if he went the other way and went with Rachel instead of Judith, he would have eliminated the £750 instead of the 1p, and he would have become a quarter millionaire if he was telling the truth about accepting the banker's gamble.

Profile E-mail  

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:12 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

One thing I've also just realised - the last 4 amounts on the board were the 4 corners, that looked cool!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

cool-luke-18

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:38 pm    Author: cool-luke-18    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

It was a shame that the £250,000 was in his box but I am sure he is happy with the £22,000 that he got but possibly regretting a little bit that he didn't go for it.
I once went in the audience for a lot of shows but this show is the very last one I have been to for the moment so at least I don't have a single clue about any of the next recorded shows but when you are in the audience it does spoil it a bit when Noel keeps mentioning about not having the first male quarter-millionaire and/or says looking for the x quarter-millionaire.

Profile E-mail  

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:14 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

What a cruel proveout round that was, most unlucky.

To be honest i thought Paul dealt too soon but i probably would have dealt at 5 box, and I certainly don't think i would have gambled on a £750/ £250,000 final pair.

The promise of the Banker's Gamble was an enticing one, and had a curious sense of deja Vu to it. I can't be the only one who remembers the exact same promise being made on a 1p/£750/£250,000 final three a couple of weeks back except that time it was the top amount not the bottom that was taken out of the game.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:43 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

I thought he would've gone on a bit longer, so I was a bit disappointed with the Deal, no doubt he was influenced strongly by the intervention by his wife, however £22k is a tidy sum.

I near enough correctly predicted the offer as I remembered the 1st game I saw live at the studios with Penny leaving £35k, £75k and £250K at 8-box and being offered £22,500. However, the proveout was a lot better as she was left with 50p and £1 at the end! :lol:

Must've been a bit frustrating for anyone in the audience to have had Alice's game essentially spoilt - I guess Noel can't help himself sometimes! I count myself extremely lucky to not have heard about Alice's win (only about Alice's win, mind ;) ) before broadcast, and having not heard, I was fairly certain she would win 1p, so when £250,000 was revealed I was shocked for quite a long time afterwards, it was utterly surreal and brilliant. Shame Noel ruined some of the enjoyment of that experience for the pilgrims today, and also risked another 100+ of them spoiling the episode to the papers. He didn't even wait until the finish materialised in play, which was a bit ridiculous.

But then again, I suppose that's the flip-side of being a pilgrim sometimes... I mean, back in March 2007, I was told the £250,000 hadn't been on the table for 66 shows, a fact for which I was eternally grateful for afterwards... :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:52 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

Oh boy, that's some Grade A Banana Sandwich right there. I think I'm beginning to see a trend developing here, and I don't like it at all. End the failure, please, and bring on a better game with a massive win.

greeny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:04 am    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

Winning £22,000 is NOT a failure, even though he had the £250,000, that cannot be called a failure.

Profile E-mail  

garylq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:47 am    Author: garylq    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

Aaaaargh, another spouse puts a contestant in a very difficult position, effectively forcing a deal that prevents the chance of a huge win.

I don't think Paul can give an honest answer to the 'would you have taken the gamblers gamble?' question. The only real way to know for sure is to face the situation in live play. Maybe Paul would have taken it if Caroline was still sat down and keeping quiet, but I am inclined to think the answer would actually have been 'no deal' if Carolines was given the chance to voice an opinion, she looked shocked when Paul said he would have gone for it.

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:26 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

garylq wrote:
Aaaaargh, another spouse puts a contestant in a very difficult position, effectively forcing a deal that prevents the chance of a huge win.

Exactly!

Why couldn't she just let Paul get on with HIS game? :roll:

jonny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:58 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject: Re: 21/06 Paul

What? Where on earth is your evidence that his wife had an effect on whether he dealt or not?

23rd, 24th and 25th of July 2008 (Adam, Helen, William) recorded 7th April 2008

18th, 19th and 20th May 2009 (Cath, Sean, Lynne) recorded 4th February 2009

10th, 11th and 13th December 2009 recorded 4th June 2009

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]