Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm Last visit was: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

lcc

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:18 pm    Author: lcc    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

Warnings: 0
good on yu gal hope you shop til you drop :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

rico7

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:23 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

I was expecting a banker's gamble at the end, just as well it didn't happen! :shock:

I wonder if Scarlet would've risked it to give up 36K for 10p/250K??

cool-luke-18

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:28 pm    Author: cool-luke-18    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

The offers were generous after 5-box.
At least poor Darren didn't get his box taken away from him this game like what happened in 2 out of the first 3 games.
At least she ignored the banker's mind games. She was a happy, positive and strong person.
Hope that she enjoys the £37,000.

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:01 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

I can't believe I missed her game, but hearing that she got £36,000 was really good to hear :D

jonny

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:53 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

Big-Davey wrote:
And there's the game I was waiting for! :D

So what if the timing wasn't perfect, Scarlet was spot-on about not trusting the Banker, so at least she didn't crash before dealing!

I thought you weren't watching this week? :lol:

23rd, 24th and 25th of July 2008 (Adam, Helen, William) recorded 7th April 2008

18th, 19th and 20th May 2009 (Cath, Sean, Lynne) recorded 4th February 2009

10th, 11th and 13th December 2009 recorded 4th June 2009

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:59 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

What did I say? I said I'd read the forums just incase :lol: - caught the game on +1 after reading it on here, and it definitely didn't disappoint

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:06 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

Great game today. This is probably the best twist that the production team has come up with because it can really screw with your mind if you let it.

Having, semi-lied on Monday and lied on Wednesday, you'd expect the banker to be telling the truth today but then that is what he might want you to believe so he might lie a third time (which he did).

I'd have probably done the same as Scarlet today even if the banker hadn't looked in box 17. £36k is too much to risk on a 25% chance of disaster normally.

It will be interesting if we have a player this week who will be willing to call the banker's bluff straight off and opening all the the boxes he's seen straight away.

ciderduck

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:41 pm    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

94k offer with a blue left on the table? Wise up!

James1978

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:46 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

Much better game today!

Really wasn't expecting Scarlet I have to say - they've played 3 blonde women in a row! I was expecting a male player today (most likely Pezza as he was the longest-running male) - but he probably got a lucky escape having the penny! Actually scratch that becuase Scarlet only had 10p and look what she did with it!

And I liked the way she approached the game. I thought she didn't give much away to the banker, and even though the board was very volatile, you're always in with a chance with one to open and the quarter-mill still in play.

I've began to give up trying to second-guess the banker when he sees in a box, so I must say after yesterday I'd have been tempted to take an easy £21k before the mind games kick in, but I was really pleased she pushed it another box to get into power 5 territory. Once there it was much harder to go on, so was happy with the deal - even though it did have the potential to be painful with the offers going up a lot after blues were found, it would have been worse losing the lot in one fell swoop I think. If only she'd left another decent back-up red.....

I think the whole studio left relief after yesterday, I especially loved seeing Jez and Jonno resting on each other after her deal!!

And Scarlet too didn't really regret missing out on £62k and £94k offers, she knew too it would have taken a hardened Wakeyist to go beyond her deal point, she was totally thrilled with £36k and why not. It's renewed my faith in this week anyway! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

James1978

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:51 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

ciderduck wrote:
94k offer with a blue left on the table? Wise up!

I actually believed the proveout offers today! The £62k was genuine becuase he promised at least £60k before her deal if she found a blue in the next box. And if you were going to go on from there, the banker would be seriously panicking, and would have had to have gone up significantly from £62k if another blue was found!

Doreen got a similar 5-box offer due to the really big risk she took at 8-box so it's not unjustified at all!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:11 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

Yeah, remember in these one-to-open rounds, the Banker's generosity is always on the increase, and bearing in mind had Scarlet declined both those offers to get to the end with 10p and £250,000 left then the Banker would have had no choice but to reward her!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:56 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

Also remember that the banker is using the offers as part of the mind games because he saw what was in one of those boxes - today he obviously was trying to force the player to go on and hope that the £250k wasn't on the table.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:06 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

Great game, exactly the pickup we needed from yesterday. She was brave to go to 4-box, I think I might've taken the £21k despite the fact hitting a blue would've seen a significant increase, hitting the £250k would be too much to bear, and plus I would be keen not to indulge in the banker's mind games for fear of it backfiring. Anyway, sensible deal in the end, and she didn't seem too disappointed that she could've got quite a bit more, so it was clearly the right decision.

Another way of looking at the twist today is regardless of what the banker has seen, your worst odds of finding the £250k are 1 in 3 if it's on the wings, so essentially you've got at least a 66% chance of missing the £250k for the offer to slightly less than double - that makes it sound a more attractive gamble, actually. I think in today's scenario, the one-to-open rule is so much dependent on utility curve, though.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Last edited by StatsMan on Thu May 14, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

Brilliant Game. I loved Scarlet and while i'm a little dissapointed she got called to play while dressed as a clown (thereby hiding her natural beauty) there is an honour to being called to play in the Birthday week - or indeed in any special sets of shows - and i do think she earned that honour through her time in the wings.

It was a tough game and after yesterday's car crash with Nicola i was genuinely concerned the curse might be back, but thankfully Scarlet was able to turn it around.

To go to 5 box with only one red is always risky and when the Banker has seen inside one of those boxes it's even trickier, Yesterday i would have said to Nicola open that box, Even if the Banker is being honest about the contents you've at least put things back on an even footing, but with Scarlet it wasn't that easy because of course if he was telling the truth then she was scuppered. Today i genuinely didn't know what to think.

I expected Scarlet to deal at £21,000 was a bit surprised when she played on and immensely relieved when she dealt at £36,000. Okay she could have had 3x that but it didn't seem to bother her and at 19 £36,000 is a tremendous amount to have, especially if she's off to Uni in the fall.

Well done Scarlet, by far the best of the specials this week.

My abiding menory of the girl though will be from her time on the wings, during Vera's game when she proudly declared "And i've only got one ovary" :smt046

JuliePenguinFan

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:53 pm    Author: JuliePenguinFan    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

woo hoo, great summary, cheers LOTS folks for that. :smt023 WOW 36K that's BRILLIANT! :-D

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:37 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

Finally, a show that both worth airing and isn't total rubbish.

Congrats to Scarlet on winning £36,000, and enjoy the money :) .

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:40 am    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week
Forum Games Moderator

All shows have a glimmer of goodness in them, Mad Mark.

Except killing the 0p club by putting a second member in.

Bob Loblaw

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:59 am    Author: Bob Loblaw    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

Great game. I've not really enjoyed the games these weeks (mainly because I find clowns unnaturally unsettling and Noel just looks plain creepy done up like that!) but Scarlett was funny, bubbly, and energetic (and yes, gorgeous). Very brave not to have dealt at £21k too, I'd have definitely gone then.

Well done on the money Scarlett and thanks for brightening up our screens over the last couple of weeks.

jahlada

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:19 am    Author: jahlada    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week

Moxx of Balhoom wrote:
Brilliant Game. I loved Scarlet and while i'm a little dissapointed she got called to play while dressed as a clown (thereby hiding her natural beauty)

I was disappointed that she was hidden behind the make up too. She's absolutely gorgeous and the camera was often on her when she was in the wings. I was waiting for her game and as soon as Birthday week started I knew I wouldn't get to swoon over her during her game. She's exactly my type, dressed beautifully, and the only down side is her comment that she wanted to get into marketing "making people buy stuff". That's working for the devil [/Bill Hicks]

Oh well, back to the game. Haha. I'm very happy for her, slight shame she couldn't have gone that bit further and spanked the banker, but she seemed happy with her winnings.

I'll miss her.

KP

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:09 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 14/05 Scarlet - Banker's Birthday Week
International Forums Moderator

I had her down as a delusionary spiritualist-Wakeyist at £21k, someone whose positivity was allowing her to ignore the money and be trapped by the dream, but with one to open she clearly wasn't - I'd have gone on myself with a £36k guarantee and would have been seriously tempted to go on even then with a 75% chance of more than £60k! (I'd have asked for it to be £63,000 though, both because of it being the previous offer flipped round and because of Daniel4389. :P )

If anything the £94k was under-inflated - it was only just enough to make the hypothetical £62k ND an EV+ move!!

My only concern over Scarlet now is that I don't know how having £36k in savings affects her student finance applications - in effect, her winnings might not be tax-free!! Have any other current or future students ended up with anything like as much money as Scarlet? Off the top of my head, that's the third biggest win by a teenager in British television history, and one of the other two was on a talent show!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]