Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue May 24, 2022 10:47 am Last visit was: Tue May 24, 2022 10:47 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

KP

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:03 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 12/05 Shell - Banker's Birthday Week
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
Let's look at a dictionary definition of 'courage'.

Those responsible for dictionary.com wrote:
1. the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.

Ambiguous in the context of financial risk-taking. Is it 'don't be afraid of risks'? Possibly. But it is placed in the context primarily of physical rather than fiscal risks. The former is generally seen as unequivocally positive; the latter has always been given a mixed reception in this country, and that opinion has veered sharply negative in the last twelve months. Conflating the two is an act of deliberate deception.

Quote:
2. (obsolete)
3. 'have the courage of one's convictions', to act in accordance with one's beliefs, esp. in spite of criticism.

There you go. When the show is set up to encourage risk-taking, to have the courage of your fiscally cautious convictions isn't easy. Ask Dot, who turned down her £12,000 target because she didn't have the courage of her convictions but instead allowed herself to 'play the game', or to be more exact, play the role of 'game player'. By the time she had a dignified opportunity to stop the ride and get off, she'd lost almost three-quarters of her money and was full of regret. That was perhaps an extreme example; I don't doubt there are many more that are less obvious. Shell could have been another, but didn't allow it to happen. Good on her!

Ultimately, the more Noel talks up the 'courageous' option of No Dealing, the more it becomes courageous to Deal.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:22 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 12/05 Shell - Banker's Birthday Week

First of all, I couldn't believe it when I heard Shell had a 19-year old son and she'd been married even longer - I thought she was early-mid 30s so must have been married while still at school by that reckoning! Next they'll be saying Scarlet has 4 kids or something.....:D

As for the game, it seems as though they may as well just open 17 boxes before an offer, I wish they could think up a twist they could introduce prior to 5-box as not to render the game irrelevant until 5-box. The heart in Love Week is the only thing they've thought of which can be played before 5-box unless I'm very much mistaken, and even then there seemed to be external pressure not to play it before 5-box, as testified by Daniel! So it's understandable the offers are rubbish before then, I guess it ruins the whole point of having it if the player deals at 8-box, such as Chris last halloween!

In her position, I'd have been thinking there should have been a £30k-ish offer at both 11-box and 8-box and been annoyed that only about half had been offered each time, and therefore been cautious once meaningful offers started to come, thinking I couldn't cope with crashing from a stellar board to a low blue. I think she did well to no-deal the £10k, and get the offer almost doubled after hitting a blue. From there what can happen is anyone's guess, in these situations the banker tends to make offers more on what's just gone rather than what's left, momentum is HUGE - look at Whitey and Tony's games in halloween week for comparison!

Indeed I'd have expected a bigger drop if the £20k was hit just after the deal.

And I bet if she'd had the penny in her box, killersbee would have called her one of the best players ever! :D

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

James1978

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:24 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 12/05 Shell - Banker's Birthday Week

Actually I'm wrong - the use the eggs at easter from 8-box don't they, but even then they put in a silly option like don't find the good egg and you win a few pence! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:58 am    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 12/05 Shell - Banker's Birthday Week

Big-Davey wrote:
Look back at your posts today, you wasn't happy at all haha!

I was happy until 5-box, stop torturing me! :lol:

James1978 wrote:
I bet if she'd had the penny in her box, killersbee would have called her one of the best players ever! :D

Not exactly, if she had went to the end, she wouldn't have swapped anyways so she would have £100,000 and not 1p so, YOU FAIL! :P :twisted: ;)

geordiegirl

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:33 pm    Author: geordiegirl    Post subject: Re: 12/05 Shell - Banker's Birthday Week

Hi Mox of Balhoom you asked me if I would have dealt before I hit 5 box if the bonus;s hadnt been on offer, I think I most certainly would have dealt! :roll:

James 1978 Im 43 years young LOL I think its the sea air that helps LOL

speak soon Shell xxx

Profile E-mail  

greeny

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:41 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 12/05 Shell - Banker's Birthday Week

killersbee wrote:
Big-Davey wrote:
Look back at your posts today, you wasn't happy at all haha!

I was happy until 5-box, stop torturing me! :lol:

James1978 wrote:
I bet if she'd had the penny in her box, killersbee would have called her one of the best players ever! :D

Not exactly, if she had went to the end, she wouldn't have swapped anyways so she would have £100,000 and not 1p so, YOU FAIL! :P :twisted: ;)

You've totally misread what James said - he said if she had the penny in her box (ie. box 9), you'd have called her one of the best players ever. He didn't say she had it, because she didn't. I don't think the 'you fail' part is appropriate either.

Profile E-mail  

James1978

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:34 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 12/05 Shell - Banker's Birthday Week

KB, I did mean that if she had 1p in the original box, not if she'd swapped for it hypothetically. At the time of the banker's gamble, Box 9 had exactly the same chance of having the 1p as it did £100k, so I'm know what I'm talking about thank you. :)

[ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]