Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:29 am Last visit was: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:29 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:17 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

Warnings: 0
geordiegirl wrote:
Hi everyone Really enjoyed Eddies game today what a really nice guy.
By the way....what is a wakey??? :blueponder
shell xx

A player who plays to the end regardless of the game

kellyhurst30

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:24 pm    Author: kellyhurst30    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

Great game Eddie....

Last edited by h2005 on Fri May 01, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spoiler removed. See here for information on posting spoilers - http://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6764

Profile E-mail  

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:28 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie
Forum Games Moderator

£70,000?

That is THE single most terribly placed offer there can be. £20,000 and £250k left - reminds me of Morris on 06/05/06, and he was offered £101,000. Someone else had £90,000 with £10k or £250k. DoND anniversary David I think.

But £70,000 on that final two is unacceptable. The very MINIMUM that should be offered there is the fair deal of £90,000 or so, I would have rewarded Eddie a bit and given him well over the £95,000 mark.

Despite the terrible last 3 offers today, I congratulate Eddie on a wonderfully sounding game and much-deserved £70,000. I hope he spends it very wisely, as he no doubt will given his advanced years.

Though, having said that, I know an 85-year-old who goes out partying every night with all the young stupid people....and Eddie does seem quite a character ;)

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum...have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Profile E-mail  

James1978

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:20 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

Well to be honest I was just really pleased he got that far, if that game had happened last year the player would have been out by 8-box for £15,000.....

I think the banker made a big risk by only offering £70k but he just got away with it, but at least the first banker win since James' game was a £70k payout and not a blue win. I always thought £50k targetism was more or less Wakeyism as usually people have to take just massive risks to get money that big (look at Buddy for example!) but of course in unusual circumstances you can get boards worth a lot more! It's funny with old people - some are just completely gamble-happy like Joe for instance, others are really cautious, you certainly get a mixture of attitudes there.

Eddie was a fantastic old chap and I'm really happy for him he's won enough to be financially comfortable for the rest of his life, well done!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

collydolly

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:37 pm    Author: collydolly    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

I think Eddie was thinking if he only got £20k he couldn't do all he wanted but the offer was poor considering the board.

It looked to be going the wrong way after the opening round so well done Eddie, enjoy the money :D

James1978

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:40 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

The ironic thing is, a strict £20k targetist would have won the biggie today, so long as they weren't going to settle for slightly less at 8-box or 5-box, albiet on a board which would have made reasonable gambling (well a non-swappy one would anyway!) :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:01 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie
International Forums Moderator

For what it's worth, I reckon about two-thirds of contestants who got to that two-box situation would take the final gamble. A significant minority - perhaps a slight majority - would've been gone earlier.

Which comes to about one in four contestants winning £250,000 or a swappy £20,000 today (and I'd imagine hardly anyone would've actually got the latter, as there is a general swap-aversion on any big finish, let alone one like this). Frustrating, then, but Eddie's approach was always one that had the potential to produce a Power 5 win (from the box or - as it turned out - from a Deal in that territory), but not a £250k.

Would £230,000 be twice as useful to me as £50,000, given the 50% chance of it? For me, in the situation of being twenty grand richer than I am now, yes. Twenty grand right now would be medium-term financial security, something I could stash away, put five grand of it in a cash ISA when the limits are raised next year, put another five grand in a shares ISA if I believe we're not in 1932 Revisited (...forget that bit, then), then use it as a deposit on a house when prices look like they've finished crumbling and I'm established in work. In those circumstances, a 50% shot of an additional £230,000 - outright ownership of a decent-sized house in Eddie's own home county of Kent (where I am to live if I get the job in London I've applied for), and by implication long-term financial security with no mortgage to pay - looks better than a 100% assured additional £50,000 (25% down on said house).

However, I'm 22, I haven't even finished uni, and have my life ahead of me. Lots of time to make money and spend money - chasing six-figure sums for long-term dreams is an incentive to me, in a way it isn't for someone like Eddie, who wants to clear off his mortgage and go out in style. He can do that. Good for him!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:05 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

The way Noel was talking about the £50,000 and relating to something Eddie said earlier in the game I was worried that was what the final offer was going to be. Whilst it would have been nice to see a larger offer at the end I think the Banker pitched it well for Eddie.

To see the £250,000 left in play at 2-box in live play is a rare occurrence (more so with a decent back-up) and after Alice's game was kept secret from the media for months I did think for a moment that we might see our first male QM as well.

I would have liked to have seen Eddie go for it at the end as it was in his favour, but £70,000 was clearly enough for Eddie and so it was the right deal for him. It just would have been nice to see our first male QM winner.

Profile E-mail  

nevadajo7

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:24 pm    Author: nevadajo7    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

just watched on catch-up :-D
brill game, eddie & pat enjoy £70,000
DOND is having a run of GREAT GAMES at the mo :banana: :biggrin :cow

Profile E-mail  

johnr

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:31 pm    Author: johnr    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

Argh!

That was one of those games where I got the feeling 'It's in your box, go for it!'. Maybe if he was a younger player the gamble would have been taken

Power5

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

This is actually the type of game that could produce a "true played" £250k win without crazy Wakeyism from the contestant or poor play from the Banker. A slow-building game with no offers in excess of £20k then hitting the perfect final round to leave the big one with a decent enough backup for many to go for it.

Interesting comment that a £20k targetist could easily have won £250k today, I doubt there's more than a handful of games in over 1000 we've seen where that would be true.

cool-luke-18

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:50 pm    Author: cool-luke-18    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

I honestly thought that the last offer should have been about £90,000 which is what I was expecting. It definitely seems like the youngsters here would have gone for it. I am a youngster (only 18) and I would have definitely gone for it, I still have my whole life ahead of me.
Anyway I think that he is happy with the money, will he buy a first-class ticket on the whole cruise? I am happy that he found love after his first wife died, unfortunately it doesn't happen for everyone but pleased that it happened to him.

Last edited by cool-luke-18 on Fri May 01, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:52 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie
Forum Games Moderator

cool-luke-18 wrote:
I honestly thought that the last offer should have been about £90,000 which is what I was expecting. It definitely seems like the youngsters here would have gone for it. I am a youngster (only 18) and I would have definitely gone for it, I still have my whole life ahead of me.
Anyway I think that he is happy with the money, will he buy a first-class ticket on the whole cruise? I am happy that he fould love after his first wife died, unfortunately it doesn't happend for everyone but pleased that it happened to him.

I agree with you 100%. I was shouting at the TV.

Fair Deal is £102,000.

Still, £70,000 shouldn't have been sniffed at by me. :|

Profile E-mail  

travis P

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:13 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

Skyline wrote:
cool-luke-18 wrote:
Anyway I think that he is happy with the money, will he buy a first-class ticket on the whole cruise? I am happy that he fould love after his first wife died, unfortunately it doesn't happend for everyone but pleased that it happened to him.

I agree with you 100%. I was shouting at the TV.

Fair Deal is £102,000.

Still, £70,000 shouldn't have been sniffed at by me. :|

My opinion, the fair deal calculation has no longer been considered for well over a year ago since The Banker plays his offers more on the player and their personal life than placing an offer against the average and the board.

I'm disappointed that the £70,000 offer have received some criticism on here on the basis it's "poor when placed on the board". I confessed if I was on the phone that I would go no higher than £80,000 and since £250K with anything produces a broad range offer wise, I was £10,000 out. I suspect those who said the offer was poor was only down to expecting the offer to be more for them, not for Eddie. Blatant point but Eddie don't have any stats or mathmatical knowledge regarding offers.

Cool Luke is spot on that the younger folk would risk £50,000 since many young folk have got that housing security.

h2005

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:09 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie
Administrator & Global Moderator

I know there was a guaranteed £20k at the end of Eddie's game, but wouldn't most £20k targetists think "£70k is a lot more than £20k so I'd be even more happy with a guaranteed £70k", and therefore deal at the £70k? I know deep-down I am a bit of a £20k targetist (and the banker worked that one out from what I said on here) and for me, Eddie's £70k would've been a deal.

Anyway, February ended with a £50k win, April began with a £50k win, April ended with a £50k win and now May has begun with a £70k win. It always seems the way that gamblers or believers in faiths don't get matched with the right boards. I'm quite certain that had Graham been playing today, for example, he'd have gone to the end and got the £250k; unless of course he'd got blinded by a probable ~£100k offer at 2-box!

Well done Eddie, it's great to see DOND sorting out someone's life like that. Let's face it, Eddie's not one of the youngest contestants ever, so I think it's safe to say that the money he won on DOND will pretty much set him on the straight and narrow for the rest of his life now. That's quite an achievement as many OAPs struggle in their later life to get together money to live on!!

Profile E-mail  

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:11 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

killersbee wrote:
Nope, it hasn't come to the table during that time

Still, I sure hope this run of big offers continue, since were now only 6 days away from what was the best game of May! ;)

Didn't Lisa have the £250k? Or was that after a hypo swap

I really enjoyed that game, if i were to play that would be the sort of game I'd want, poor start then building steadily, and just strong enough to egg you on after each round.

I can understand why Eddie felt it was right to deal at the final offer but i have to say i'm with those who would have gone on, I think i could live with the worst case scenario if it was £20k and £70k just wasn't enough for me, not with a 50/50 chance of taking away the big one

As to swapping , I only encourage a swap if it's a number of deep personal significance...so probably not.

Incidently on the subject of swaps it seems ages since the Banker offered one at the start of the game.

Lewis246

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:14 am    Author: Lewis246    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

Lisa had it on the table following a hypo swap, and Steve (who dealt £20k), swapped it away a week after Alice's game.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:34 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

£70k certainly is the lowest offer of the several £20k/£250k finishes we've had. I remember a year or two ago working out the average was around the £95k mark (probably helped by the 2 £100k+ offers for the previous identical finishes to today).

Would have been nice if the offer was closer to £90k but the banker pitched it perfectly. Not the worst way for the run of player wins to end though.

ciderduck

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:44 pm    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

nevadajo7 wrote:
just watched on catch-up :-D
brill game, eddie & pat enjoy £70,000
DOND is having a run of GREAT GAMES at the mo :banana: :biggrin :cow

Can't get catch up to work! Missed a half hour of it stuck in traffic. My mum and i were a tad disappointed at the 70k offer-what a weird thing to say!-given morris's offer on the same board. Had i been fortunate enough to have that board, i would've gone for it.i have no real responsibilities to pay off and what i do have would be well covered by 20k. I certainly dont earn enough to have a mortgage. If i ended up with 250k, i could buy a house outright in the current market! Eddie seemed happy enough, i think! Hope he drives the mercedes in the manner in which it was designed!

ciderduck

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:24 am    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 01/05 Eddie

sorry, can i ask a stupid question re catch up....when i try to use it, i only manage to get options for clips. is that all we're allowed now? :ponder:

[ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]