Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue May 24, 2022 10:47 am Last visit was: Tue May 24, 2022 10:47 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:28 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

Warnings: 0
Realy liked Graham - just wish he'd played yesterday as he'd had the £250,000 in his box, and there was a chance he could have won it given his attitude!

This is where I differ from KP - if playing to the end was really what he wanted to do, even if it means turning down excellent offers like those at 8-box and 5-box today then fine, as long as they can be happy and walk out with a laugh if it goes wrong, and he certainly did that. 50p Dennis was the same, 1p Matty certainly was the exact opposite. :D

And at the end of the day there's nothing wrong with £5,000, a lot of people would have loved to have won that. He didnt turn down anything above the mean or anything massively life-changing, and also he gave all the offers total respect, so he's certainly got no regrets. Though the best games for me are when the player genuinely isn't sure what to do unlike today when there's not much point in the banker being there and it's just a long drawn-out box opening. :)

The funniest bits for me were poor old Declan completing his £50k hat-trick (if he has it tomorrow, he'll match Joanne from June '07!!) and Graham joking about swap-shop at the end. That's how cool and calm he was about the whole thing. :D

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:24 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

Decent game today: you knew he was playing to the end no matter what so we was just praying Declan didn't have it again...alas yes he did though!

Good consolation at the end at least - haven't seen the show yet so I can't comment on all you shallow lemmings talking about the newbie yet! :lol:

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

NoelsFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:48 pm    Author: NoelsFan    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

KP wrote:
Well you can't say he didn't stick to his plan.

That's about the best you can say for that 'gameplay'. Banker had him down as a Wakeyist from the beginning and gave him enough rope to hang himself. Disaster being avoided made for a nice positive ending, and unlike the last player to win £5,000 after six utterly meaningless Banker offers, he didn't get the chance to risk it all.

Jean won 5k and went for it!

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:04 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

Can't fault Graham on the way he played the game. Very cool, very collected - and while it was obvious he was going to go all the way he did it in a calm and measured way. Some players who come in with that approach can't wait to get to two box but Graham did it one round at a time, taking in the experience in full

He came across as a top bloke too, thought the story about why he carried the teddy around was really sweet, and you can imagine him getting some very strange looks for doing it. :lol:

£5000 isn't a bad consolation prize i suppose.

And someone really likes the newbie - how many close ups did Scarlet get today? Well above average i'd say

StatsMan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:05 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

It was really easy to get into today's game - Graham seemed a genuinely nice bloke with plenty of charisma. We all sensed from an early stage he was going to go the end, and as he would've clearly been happy with the consequences whatever, I don't see any problem with that.

We have seen quite a few of these low-money games that turn out to be just as entertaining as huge wins, and today's was certainly one of those (Dirk recently is also a prime example). I suppose it's a unique show in that the size of the win doesn't necessarily affect your enjoyment of the show - in the end, I was just hoping he had the higher of the 2 remaining sums and wouldn't be leaving with a blue!

Amazing for Declan to have the £50k for the 3rd time in a row - isn't that something like a 1 in 10648 shot? Of course, Michaela had £250k 4 times in a row at mere odds of 1 in 234256, and Joanne did something similar apparently.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:15 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

StatsMan wrote:

Amazing for Declan to have the £50k for the 3rd time in a row - isn't that something like a 1 in 10648 shot? Of course, Michaela had £250k 4 times in a row at mere odds of 1 in 234256, and Joanne did something similar apparently.

1 in 10648 in the odds of having a specific amount 3 days running but I guess given the coincidences based around the £50k recently, it might be relevant to quote this and not the 1 in 484 shot of having any amount 3 days in a row.

kestral wrote:
Graham says that he was always going to go all the way to the end, as the men are 2-0 down at the moment in winning the £250,000, and the only way to win it is to play all the way to the end.

That's funny as only 50% of the £250k winners actually won it by technically playing to the end.

A game where 21 box openings and 6 phone calls were irrelevant to the game. Nice that he had £5k in his box but had he had the £500, the banker could have really claimed karma was present in his game as there was already one monkey on the table and the £500 would have been a second.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:32 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham
International Forums Moderator

Quote:
had he had the £500, the banker could have really claimed karma was present in his game as there was already one monkey on the table and the £500 would have been a second.

That's brilliant!!!

I don't have any objections to Wakeyistic players like Graham. I have plenty of objections to the glorification of that approach and the encouragement for those who really don't have those intentions to 'play the game' that way anyway. Fortunately this hasn't been as evident as it was two years ago!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:48 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

KP wrote:
Quote:
had he had the £500, the banker could have really claimed karma was present in his game as there was already one monkey on the table and the £500 would have been a second.

That's brilliant!!!

I don't have any objections to Wakeyistic players like Graham. I have plenty of objections to the glorification of that approach and the encouragement for those who really don't have those intentions to 'play the game' that way anyway. Fortunately this hasn't been as evident as it was two years ago!

I actually picked up on the monkey thing early in the game (once I'd googled it to remind me what it was - surprised the banker never picked up on it - could have had a £500 motif to the offers).
Agree that I didn't really object to Graham's approach because it didn't seem to be based on a gambling based approach and was an entertaining game. I had no feeling at the end that I wanted the £500 to be in the box other than for the monkey-coincidence.

cfd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:50 am    Author: cfd    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

lol, would have been quality if every offer had a £500 in it for the monkey reference. I wonder how many people would have got it?

Profile E-mail  

Flid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:10 pm    Author: Flid    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

Thanks for all your kind comments on my game, i never made the monkey connection, so it would seem i won 10 monkies.i have enjoyed every aspect of the show, and im glad david made me aware of this site.
There is a sign on the wall in the green room which says something like ' dont be afraid to speak out, it may help ya game, this is not big brother we will never show you in a bad light' several of us have cringed at the things we had said, but true to their word, we were always spared the humiliation when it came to the final cut. if we come across well its the editors that make us look good, imagine if you could cut and paste real life , we would all look so cool. Graham 8)

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:21 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham
International Forums Moderator

Interesting - they certainly don't show you in a bad light, but 'may help your game' seems to me (bear in mind I play the game much more cautiously than you were ever going to!!!) to be true if they express a desire to dismiss the offers and 'just have a go'...

(There is a certain rationale to that - it *is* true the Banker will rationally make lower offers to a more cautious player as s/he is still more likely to take it. But there is a real risk of going too far, which the show did two years ago.)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Power5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:35 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

Simon F wrote:
kestral wrote:
Graham says that he was always going to go all the way to the end, as the men are 2-0 down at the moment in winning the £250,000, and the only way to win it is to play all the way to the end.

That's funny as only 50% of the £250k winners actually won it by technically playing to the end.

Well it was probably true as far as he knew, Alice's game wouldn't have been broadcast before his was filmed and he wouldn't have met that many contestants who were there for it. So it would only have been by chance that he might have heard about the exact circumstances of the second winner, even though Noel would have referred to it happening plenty of times!

flamedtresses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:37 pm    Author: flamedtresses    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

:ponder: i posted in here yesterday and my post seems to have gone?????
well done on your 5k graham :)

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:39 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham
Administrator & Global Moderator

flamedtresses wrote:

I think the post you're looking for is here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17588&p=576440#p576440

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:11 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

Power5 wrote:
Simon F wrote:
kestral wrote:

Well it was probably true as far as he knew, Alice's game wouldn't have been broadcast before his was filmed and he wouldn't have met that many contestants who were there for it. So it would only have been by chance that he might have heard about the exact circumstances of the second winner, even though Noel would have referred to it happening plenty of times!

You're right. I forget about things like that sometimes.

Power5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:28 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

Actually I wasn't quite right with the second part of my comment - looking at the player lists from a few weeks back, Graham arrived on the wings only 5 shows after Alice's game. So he would have been around with those who were there for some time, I'd be surprised if he hadn't heard the full story!

flamedtresses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:09 pm    Author: flamedtresses    Post subject: Re: 20/04 Graham

h2005 wrote:
flamedtresses wrote:

I think the post you're looking for is here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17588&p=576440#p576440

i posted in both of them :S :blueponder i left one and went and posted in the other :( never mind, thanks anyway

Profile E-mail  
 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]