Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:09 am Last visit was: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:09 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

johnr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:25 pm    Author: johnr    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

Warnings: 0
Lie of the year!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:25 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

OPWs all around! :D

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

kestral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:26 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

The Banker calls and says that he would have phoned back here and said he is NOT offering the SWAP!

Noel opens box 15 and reveals £1,000

Box 7 with Rachael contains the £100,000

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:27 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day
International Forums Moderator

That would've been contentious if she'd said No Deal, given that the swap has become an expectation these days - although it would've been far more contentious three years ago! :D

Good result either way though. Played on with backups, got out when it got to a high-volatility finish. No complaints.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:27 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

Haha the end credits have everyone's parents' names instead, followed by "...'s son/daughter" :P

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:29 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

Yes! OPWs across the board :D ! Congrats all, especially to Carol! Enjoy the money :D !

I wish I could still bring Box 23 out, 'cause this is for sure an Epic Win ;) !

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:30 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

The swappy barbara finish and same box numbers, excellent game. Think I'd have gambled and won 1K.

KP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:32 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day
International Forums Moderator

Thought you might, Alex - and I don't blame you either. I think if I were more financially secure I'd have done the same and thank heavens for the swap, but the difference between the anti-red and a five-figure amount (which was the difference between this and Gaz's finish - £25k to risk in each case for a shot at £100k, and that one I'd have turned down in a flash) is quite significant to me at present. If I had a guaranteed job offer right now I'd have gambled that.

Amazing how things have changed - I vividly remember telling everyone in my hall during Swappy Barbara's game she'd made the right decision swapping, then left in shock when this was disproven. I went on to a musical theatre group's first meeting, and didn't enjoy it. Move on two-and-a-half years, said group have just finished their main production for this year, I've had three unsuccessful auditions with them, and I'm still planning on writing a musical... and DoND is still providing fascinating decisions (after a period or two when it didn't) :P

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Last edited by KP on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:32 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

Well that was a feel good game on a day when it was needed.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:33 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

I agree with that for sure!

Profile E-mail  

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:34 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

KP wrote:
Thought you might, Alex - and I don't blame you either. I think if I were more financially secure I'd have done the same and thank heavens for the swap, but the difference between the anti-red and a five-figure amount (which was the difference between this and Gaz's finish - £25k to risk in each case for a shot at £100k, and that one I'd have turned down in a flash) is quite significant to me at present. If I had a guaranteed job offer right now I'd have gambled that.

yeah I'd have taken 30K.

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:40 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

Only caught the last few mins of that but I'm sceptical about the swap thing again. Not only was it Swappy Barbara's finish but the two box numbers involved were the same (7 had the £100k and 15 had the £1k), but the other way round with which was originally at the table. I'd be disgusted if someone no-dealt but thought the big money was in the other box, wanted to swap, the banker didn't allow it and they would have been right to swap. Though after the last few games, any feel-good ending is great, and she took justificable risks to get to where she did so I thought it was good gameplay by both sides. First player win of any description since Alice!!

Oh and Old Faithful is starting to lose its magic as Mavis dealt it too and was totally right to!! :)

Incidentally, I was catching up on Pam's game from Halloween recently which had a similar ending (as I missed it due to it being on the same time as the Brazilian Grand Prix!), and she was sure the big money, the £100k, was in the other box on the wings but she dealt becuase she wasn't sure he'd offer the swap. Then the banker phoned up and said he'd be too scared to offer Pam the swap - but I thought you were guaranteed the swap on all the themed shows, or was that only if the banker has seen what was in the box? :?

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:50 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

Having read this article last month I knew that a deal was inevitable at 2-box and that Carol never had the £100,000 in her box at the end.

A nice game though with a happy ending for the mothering Sunday show.

Profile E-mail  

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:51 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

Saw this today, what a great game for Mother's Day

Enjoy £26,000, Claire :)

rico7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:51 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

Excellent game, it was a stable enough board to no deal until 2 box,
and £26,000 is a great result! :D

I find it difficult to believe that so many of the contestants on the wings who said no deal
to 26K really would have done so in their own show.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:04 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

That game had great tension, largely because she had quite a few difficult decisions to make from 8-box onwards. Again, we saw a fairly stable 100k-strong board, but that has been no guarantee to success lately with Colin's game being a prime example. In fact, she was offered £20k at the same stage, but fortunately her board just managed to hold up. I wasn't quite sure what Carol was going to say, which often makes for a great show, right up until the final few moments.

She did remind me a bit of Barbara, and it's weird that she should end up with the same finish, and the same boxes. At least the coincidence ended there though, and she walked away with a very respectable £26,000!

Profile E-mail  

cool-luke-18

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:06 pm    Author: cool-luke-18    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

Even I remember someone who turned down £26,000. Feb 08 during the period where the £250,000 came to the table 3 shows out of 4. Someone called Nicola turned down £26,000 and then got offered £44,000 and took it.
None of the offers were really tempting for me so I would have gone to the end.

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:07 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

Without nitpicking, I think they just mean that because of how many people HAVE taken it altogether...

Profile E-mail  

mustafago

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:38 pm    Author: mustafago    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

the banker dare not offer the swap because of losing the £250,000 tother day.
does not want to lose his job again ;) ;) ;) ;)

Profile E-mail  

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:13 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 22/03 Carol - Mother's Day

Great game, real feelgood atmosphere. A stable looking board for Carol but it still took a degree of nerve to go to two box, A very respectable £26,000 win and she correctly predicted the contents of at least two boxes, great stuff.

Nice to see the mighty Laura doing the teaser for show 1000 too.

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]