Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:25 pm Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:25 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:23 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
killersbee wrote:
I have to say though, when is someone actually gonna deal at more than £100k, it's now nearly been two years since it last happened? :(

Dude, aren't you spoilt enough? £250,000 was won last week, not enough for you? :P

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:26 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve
Forum Games Moderator

Well, at least h has my 2nd favorite box. :/

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:29 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve
Administrator & Global Moderator

killersbee wrote:
I have to say though, when is someone actually gonna deal at more than £100k, it's now nearly been two years since it last happened? :(

It's more than likely that such an offer (in live play) is only going to be offered when there's at least £35k / £50k as backup. So surely if someone did deal at above £100,000, you'd say they should've no dealt as "they had a good backup"? Anyway, you should just be pleased that the Top Prize of £250,000 was won only a week ago! There was a time last summer when no-one won more than £20,000 for about 6 weeks or something ridiculous like that!

I was indeed there at the start of today's show but had to leave as I felt too ill. As Noel said, I had food poisoning (which was due to some dodgy fish at the hotel which had affected some others, but not as badly as me as I think I was going down with a cold anyway at the time so felt extra bad because of that).

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:40 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

Told you KB's expectations have soared... :roll:

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

rico7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:51 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

h2005 wrote:
killersbee wrote:

It's more than likely that such an offer (in live play) is only going to be offered when there's at least £35k / £50k as backup. So surely if someone did deal at above £100,000, you'd say they should've no dealt as "they had a good backup"?

As we've seen before, I think Steve fed the banker the 110K proveout offer with his prediction. 90-100K would be
more realistic.

I find it difficult to believe that Steve would have no dealt £110,000 in liveplay with only 15K backup! :shock:
Maybe he was just saying that to make the proveout more interesting!

Either way, his game wasn't looking good at 11 box, so £20,000 is a good result and it took some courage
to get there.

Would we have seen the banker's gamble a 10p/250K finish? I doubt it.

Well done Steve on winning £20,000 :D

Brick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:21 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

We seem to be going through one of those ugly phases where boards seem to start well then nosedive, or are never all that stable to start with, and end up with blues being won and reds sold short :(

Since last week the only 'victories' we seem to have had have involved questionable hypo swaps... :ponder:

KP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:47 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve
International Forums Moderator

There we go - proof the hypothetical swap exists to ensure the guilt trip can be done with the higher of the two box amounts left at the end. He'd have done the same speech if £15,000 was on the table at the start.

No arguments with the gameplay, took a chance then got out with good money - I think I'd have done the same but if I'd been guaranteed six figures for that finish or a £10k kicker I'd be playing on...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Nkosi Enkulu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:15 pm    Author: Nkosi Enkulu    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

Quote:
I was indeed there at the start of today's show but had to leave as I felt too ill. As Noel said, I had food poisoning (which was due to some dodgy fish at the hotel which had affected some others, but not as badly as me as I think I was going down with a cold anyway at the time so felt extra bad because of that).

I told you in the dining room that there was something wrong with the fish. :twisted: And that's why I left the plate on the table and got some of the other dishes.
Mind you, to be honest the food was nothing to write home about. It could have been better but that's my personal opinion and others may not agree with me. :smt105

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:17 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

Yeah right you would have swapped Steve. Alice felt like she couldn't swap even though he was only gambling £17,499.99, and he'd have been gambling with £95,000?

Still a justifiable deal and it saves it from being the worst week ever, though IIRC if tomorrow and Sunday's games are trainwrecks it could be the 2nd worst ever!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:57 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve
Administrator & Global Moderator

Nkosi Enkulu wrote:
Quote:

I told you in the dining room that there was something wrong with the fish. :twisted: And that's why I left the plate on the table and got some of the other dishes.
Mind you, to be honest the food was nothing to write home about. It could have been better but that's my personal opinion and others may not agree with me. :smt105

You're a wise man, Dirk. I'd only eaten half of the fish but stopped as I thought something was dodgy. Strangely though, I think Graham had double portions of the fish but wasn't affected.

And as for the food issue at the hotel in general - well let's just say I don't disagree with you! :laughing

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:08 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

Yet another 4/4 board at 8 box. I'd have thought that compared to yesterday, the board was worth a bit more than £10k.

I found it a bit odd that Steve wasn't prepared to gamble £20k but would have taken the gamble at 2 box. In the end, it's a good job he didn't gamble as we would have had the opposite result to a week ago.

The proveout was certainly inflated - a while back when we had had a few £20k/£250k finishes, I think I worked out the average offer was around £95k.

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:30 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

h2005 wrote:
So surely if someone did deal at above £100,000, you'd say they should've no dealt as "they had a good backup"?

Not exactly, it's that the show is way long overdue for a 100k+ plus offer to be dealt :?

Big-Davey wrote:
Told you KB's expectations have soared... :roll:

Quite the opposite, they've lowered and I don't expect much these days since every kind of scenario has happened on the show :?

ciderduck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:31 pm    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

Had the 250k been in box 16, i would've been flippin mad, what with Noel forcing him into NOT taking it out...the whole 'play on with honesty' stuff. Obviously now it seems like a contractual obligation in the rules. Should Noel be allowed to stick his oar in like that?! I think had i been playing the game, i would keep my mouth firmly shut regarding any silly 'special' numbers etc. Should i then be convinced for no reason that the biggest remaining numbers were in a particular box, then i would be able to take them without Noel stopping me from doing so! Can anyone elaborate on this, david or clare etc, cos it does irritate me! And anyway, glad steve was very happy with his deal, and to me, he really didn't seem at all bothered about 'missing' out. A good attitude to have. Nice one!

clareclw1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:45 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

h2005 wrote:
Nkosi Enkulu wrote:
Quote:

You're a wise man, Dirk. I'd only eaten half of the fish but stopped as I thought something was dodgy. Strangely though, I think Graham had double portions of the fish but wasn't affected.

And as for the food issue at the hotel in general - well let's just say I don't disagree with you! :laughing

I concur to all of the above!! :-D

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:48 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

Does anyone else think Steve looks like that bloke from The Shield?

Lot of bad luck in that game again, can't blame Steve for dealing when he did, especially with two piddling blues on the board, and no significant backup for the £250k, i probably would have done the same, then again i might have been tempted to go all the way if i'd got to two box with that configeration. would depend if i felt i could live with £15k

With regard to the hypo swap I think Steve felt obligated to go through with it because he'd been so insistant that the £250k was in the other box.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:43 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

Well it was a pretty farcical end to a overall decent game, with Noel telling Steve not to pick a box (although it was blatantly clear he wasn't playing on with honesty, so I agree with him on that), and then Steve saying he would've turned down £110,000 despite making the previously more cautious decision to deal at £20,000. And then the hypothetical swap, which is always a nonsense. He sold a £250k box for £20k. Simple as. Don't complicate matters, in the early days he never bothered asking players if they would swap after they had dealt, so why now? :evil:

Oh, and the beginning was quite bizarre as well - I thought my eyes weren't deceiving me when I suddenly saw David disappear from the wings - that's never happened when someone is due to play! I know they prepare a running order each monday morning for the whole week's players or something, then at the last minute they'd have had to shift it around, what panic! :shock:

Weird to think that a cruel twist of fate for David (get well soon :D ) could have turned out to be an extremely lucky twist of fate for Steve (although we are to believe he would've swapped the £250k away).

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:47 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

What didn't make sense to me is that if David was meant to play today and he wasn't feeling well, why was he present in the studio at the start? If he was there to begin with, there would be no reason why he shouldn't be picked (unless the producers had a inkling that he wasn't feeling well)

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:56 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

StatsMan wrote:
Oh, and the beginning was quite bizarre as well - I thought my eyes weren't deceiving me when I suddenly saw David disappear from the wings - that's never happened when someone is due to play! I know they prepare a running order each monday morning for the whole week's players or something, then at the last minute they'd have had to shift it around, what panic! :shock:

I'm sure it's happened before, but not mentioned on the show. I doubt it would have been too much of a problem regarding the running order, they probably just swapped Steve and David's shows.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:57 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

Well then!

If he was well enough to play on this show, he'd have carried £10,000 to the table!

Gives him a further show (at the very least!) to get to carry one of the two biggies with him to the table!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Power5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:03 am    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 19/03 Steve

So, David would have had £10,000 in his box had he played... so not missing out on huge money in box terms but at least would have guaranteed not winning a blue unless he had swapped! Let's see how it compares to his actual game now...

[ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]