Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

beaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:10 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Warnings: 0
Power5 wrote:
Yes, you obviously have to come from there originally rather than live there, so maybe the coincidence won't lead to house prices in Monmouth rocketing and going against the national trend...

May just be a Welsh thing as I seem to recall a black lady from Cardiff winning £100k+

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:13 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Despite having the result spoiled to me on YouTube last weekend by a PM (not by srwilson though, someone else) I still found the win to be exciting, and despite knowing that £250k was going to be revealed it still felt tense. Partly due to the way they edited it and the background music which just seemed to add to the tension. The atmosphere in the studio must feel so much different with out any of the background music.

Even though I knew the end result I had no idea who, or how, it would be won and so when Alice did deal I was a little shocked, but presumed that it had to be via a Banker's Gamble, even though I didn't think one would be offered in that situation. Again I did read something else on YouTube a couple of weeks back about a March £250,000 winner and it being "set-up". Which I guessed was referencing the Banker's Gamble.

Regardless of how the £250,000 was won it was still a great moment to watch and that we finally have our 2nd £250k winner. Yeah offering a Banker's Gamble on that situation was making it an easy win, but remember that Alice had strong feelings for box 3 and could have easily swapped for the 1p, which thankfully she didn't. I doubt we'll see a Banker's Gamble like that again because not only are the odds on that finish extremely rare, but Endemol don't want to be paying out £250k too often.

If I have one complaint is that the end of the show just felt a little rushed. It would have been nice if they just spent a couple of minutes extra talking about the win, and the celebration part.

Credit to all the crew/contestants/audience members/and even the cleaners according to one news story (I suppose someone has to clean the confetti up :lol: ), that managed to keep the win under wraps with not one hint of a big win in any of the media (to my knowledge), despite being filmed over 3 months ago. It holds out hope that there could be future winners that will come as a total surprise as I always thought a £250k would somehow, somewhere, make it to the press and be spoiled considering how far in front the recordings are and the amount of audience members & players who pass through the studios in that time.

It's certainly going to be an interesting few weeks on the show of what has already been a great year so far. Not only do we have David's game to look forward too, but the big 1000th show milestone.

That's a rather long post... :lol:

beaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:13 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

CrazyChair wrote:
beaker wrote:
Although it was a bit of a no-brainer really to give back the £17.5k

To be honest, I didn't think the banker's gamble was a no brainer. £17,500 is a lot of money to risk on the flip of a coin, especially when she could have ended up with a penny. I enjoyed Alice's game today because I didn't know the result. I had been informed that something special was going to happen on March the 12th, but I didn't know what. Many congratulations to Alice on her £250,000 win. To those who managed to keep their mouths shut about her win, thank you!

For me, the lure of £250k would have been too much, and I suspect, for the vast majority, it would have been the same - winning 1p, isn't really much different to winning any other blue, IMO - so the fact the 1p was still in play would have made no difference. Like I said in my earlier post that you snipped :roll: I'm really delighted she won the big one and thought it was a superb game

Power5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:15 am    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

beaker wrote:
Power5 wrote:
Yes, you obviously have to come from there originally rather than live there, so maybe the coincidence won't lead to house prices in Monmouth rocketing and going against the national trend...

May just be a Welsh thing as I seem to recall a black lady from Cardiff winning £100k+

Was that Claudine? Can't remember where she was from...

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:21 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Just wondering about the whole confidentiality thing. Obviously, the crew and contestants would be covered by contracts not to reveal the result but assuming Noel will be going on about today's game for a while, surely there would be quite a few pilgrims who would have known about it.

I was thinking that if a player got close to the end with the £250k still on the board, Noel could still use the "1st male quarter-millionaire" line and say "next quarter-millionaire" if it were a lady (although that itself might arouse suspicion from being changed from 2nd quarter-millionaire).

beaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:22 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Power5 wrote:
beaker wrote:
Power5 wrote:

Was that Claudine? Can't remember where she was from...

Yeah, think that was her name - she was definitely from Cardiff

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:31 am    Author: Rob    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

WOW!!!!! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!

One question -

H, how the hell did you keep THAT quiet?!?!?!?!?!

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:36 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Rob wrote:
WOW!!!!! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!

One question -

I'm guessing all the contestants would have to sign something legal promising not to disclose publically the result of any game.

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:36 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
Administrator & Global Moderator

Rob wrote:
One question -

Not difficult really. I decided I wanted to keep all of my limbs. :)

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:46 am    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
International Forums Moderator

h2005 wrote:
Not difficult really, as I decided I wanted to keep all of my limbs. :)

H wouldn't be able to let me have a share of his own £250,000 win if he had let that out. ;-)

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 am    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Well, I was not expecting that!

Deal or No Deal's second quarter millionnaire! Woohoo! Didn't see that one coming at all! Kudos to everyone for keeping it a secret, I genuinely had no idea! I knew the show was scheduled for 50 minutes but I put that down to the horse racing! I can't believe it wasn't leaked!

Congratulatons Alice!!!!!!! :D

Last edited by "The Banker" on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:17 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

This thread is already longer than Laura's (and more recently Claire-Louise's). I'd imagine it will pass Daniel's soon as the 2nd longest thread.

Will it pass David (1st birthday show) as the longest thread on this forum though?

Bob Loblaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:29 am    Author: Bob Loblaw    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

This is my first post here, so hi everyone - lurked for a while, but can't think of a better show to join the forum!

I must admit, I stopped watching DOND around November - I was just a bit bored of it. And then in the New Year I started watching again out of nothing better to do, and was hooked yet again (it was the era of Dan, Claire-Louise, Alfonso, Mel etc).

Anyway, so glad I stuck with it, as this was a cracking game. Thank you to everyone who didn't spoil it. I had a weird feeling that the Bankers Gamble would be played due to Alice's love of adrenaline - and what could be a better thrill than having a choice between 1p and £250k!

So well done Alice and enjoy the money. I also thought it was a coincidence that Alice's sister Claire looked the absolute spit of Lisa who stands next to David!

Goldeneye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:23 am    Author: Goldeneye    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

collydolly wrote:
Wow, Wow, WOW :D :D :D

I had no idea about this I never read the spoilers, but I had noticed on my last two visits to the Dream Factory Noel had not said there was no second winner of the £250k and I did wonder :D

Well done Alice :D

For what it is worth, I believe that this episode was filmed on Dec 4, if I figured it correctly, since we (and a few others in the forum) were in the audience three days prior to that and the shows that were filmed were the 2, 3 and 4 March episodes.

On that day, I was still in the European continent...in Sweden at that time.

In the audience for Den's (2-Mar-2009, Show #974), Hannah's (3-Mar-2009, Show #975) and Rich's (4-Mar-2009, Show #976) episodes.
Probably the only non-UKer to be in the audience ever...

Goldeneye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:34 am    Author: Goldeneye    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Have been lurking a lot lately ever since getting back to the States (and the hectic business back home for me), but a few notes here...

This is only the second time ever to have the 1p/£250,000 final two, with the first being back nearly 800 episodes ago, with Debbie back in June 2006. She was never given the option for Banker's Gamble, as it didn't exist then, but her proveout offer was £60,000, four times what she dealt for at 5-box on £250,000 plus four blues, including 50p and 1p.

If I were in this situation, I would have taken the Banker's Gamble. Conversely, if the contestant was fairly risk averse or needed the £17,500 or possibly much older than myself (I turned 30 just prior to heading to the UK) or either Laura/Alice, then the Banker's Gamble would not likely have been taken.

As for the swap, I would not have swapped (with two exceptions) as 8 is my mother's birthday. That exception is if 18 (my birthday) was the other box on the wings. Laura had 6 on the table and didn't swap because that was her father's birthday.

Anyway, enjoy every penny of the £250,000, Alice!

In the audience for Den's (2-Mar-2009, Show #974), Hannah's (3-Mar-2009, Show #975) and Rich's (4-Mar-2009, Show #976) episodes.
Probably the only non-UKer to be in the audience ever...

trustno1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:11 am    Author: trustno1    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Simon F wrote:
Just wondering about the whole confidentiality thing. Obviously, the crew and contestants would be covered by contracts not to reveal the result but assuming Noel will be going on about today's game for a while, surely there would be quite a few pilgrims who would have known about it.

I was thinking that if a player got close to the end with the £250k still on the board, Noel could still use the "1st male quarter-millionaire" line and say "next quarter-millionaire" if it were a lady (although that itself might arouse suspicion from being changed from 2nd quarter-millionaire).

I'm sure that right now, H2005 is ripping his up, since the 250k has been aired.

DanJudge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:01 am    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Quote:
I should have been clearer. Had Michael accepted the gamble and won £100,000, I think Alice would have been less likely to have received the gamble offer. The banker was, in my view, attempting to push how far he could risk a large amount of money, but not have the player accept the opportunity.

I get you now. But I tend to think that the BG wasn't put there for it to be turned down. The banker will have known it was going to be taken. they know enough about us to know roughly what our intentions are. Alice told me that when it was offered she KNEW instantly that she was going to take it, the only thing she was worried about was whether to swap or not. She even said that she wanted to have a really key decisions to make (paraphrasing, haven't seen it yet). I think even a cautious player would take that BG, so someone who said they wanted to have a big decision to make would definitely be inclined to take it. Endemol was in a win-win situation because they knew she'd accept it. Either of the 4 results* after the BG was offered would still have unbelievable tension (the forum was buzzing just before the reveal). DOND definitely don't care about the financial loss, the press and hype surrounding this will mean the show will recoup that amount of money pretty quickly.

*by 4 results, I mean: -
Take BG - 1p
Take BG - £250k
Refuse BG - 1p
Refuse BG - £250,000

Each of those outcomes is good TV, but I'm guessing the producers were routing for option 2!!

The show offers the bankers gamble because they want players to have all or peanuts moments. It's all about viewing figures. I think they offered it Michael because they knew he probably wouldn't take it, but would have liked him to still go for it, and even when he didn't take it, they still got all the agonizing that led up to the decision. Again, another win-win for the show.

As for the confidentiality. I went back in the audience a little after Alices game and Noel and the comedian were both open that there had been another winner and that her name was Alice. I guess that they have to mention Alice in some of the shows afterwards because it would be weird if they didn't, so I bet we will see about a month or so of show where Alice is mentioned still (about 8 days of filming). By this time next month, everything will have died down a bit more, then about 2-3 months (viewing time, not filming time) where she is not mentioned by name and then the shows that are filming right now will then be free to mention her again.

Billy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:25 am    Author: Billy    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

...out of all the episodes to bloody miss!!!!!

I had absolutely no idea until I got back last night, went on Facebook and saw David's video saying "MY BOX OPENING IN ALICE'S HISTORIC £250,000 WIN". I thought it was some weird ironic joke at first, but then when I went on here and saw a 14 page thread I realised it must have happened.

Well...damn, oh well. Congratulations Alice anyway and I'm sure it was a great game!

collydolly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:36 am    Author: collydolly    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Goldeneye wrote:
collydolly wrote:
Wow, Wow, WOW :D :D :D

I had no idea about this I never read the spoilers, but I had noticed on my last two visits to the Dream Factory Noel had not said there was no second winner of the £250k and I did wonder :D

Well done Alice :D

For what it is worth, I believe that this episode was filmed on Dec 4, if I figured it correctly, since we (and a few others in the forum) were in the audience three days prior to that and the shows that were filmed were the 2, 3 and 4 March episodes.

On that day, I was still in the European continent...in Sweden at that time.

To think we missed this game by only 3 days Goldeneye :roll: That would have made your trip even more special :D

The theme that is running through this thread is how happy the majority of us are that no one leaked the win :D

I thought I had seen a posting on the forum a while ago where someone said they had to sign a second confidentiality form on a recent visit to the Dream Factory, but I think the post was deleted as I never saw it again :D

One of the "super" fans was in the audience, I saw him stood and punching the air, I can't remember his name but I have met him a few times :D

When Noel comes into the studio and before they start recording he often used to say they were still waiting for the second £250k winner, but in January and this week when I visited the Dream Factory I noticed he didn't say it I hoped one was coming up :D

So thank you to everyone who kept the secret as I hate spoilers :lol:

And well done Alice :D

tr4962

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:23 am    Author: tr4962    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Does anyone else get the feeling that if Alice hadn't been from Wales or Monmouth, that she wouldn't have been offered the gamble

[ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]