Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:07 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

Warnings: 0
Skyline wrote:
And how did I guess that £5,000 was in her box from the beginning?

Um, lucky guess? :lol:

Good game today - I think the offers were semi-respectful. Her 5-box was similar to Chris' (whose game I went to see last year); he was offered just over £21,000 on a board with another blue replacing the £5,000 - and I remember saying I'd have dealt there...but with £5,000 there to also backup the £10,000 and £20,000 would have had me feeling confident so I think I'd have played to the end today.

Great game, and the slight slump is hopefully behind us now! :)

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:08 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

Oh yeah, baby! We're definitely back :D !
I knew something good had to happen after the trainwrecks of the past two days. I was certain another big win was due soon. Looks like I was right.
Congrats Mavis, and enjoy £26,000 :D !
Let's hope tomorrow's player does just as well, if not better :D !

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:32 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis
Administrator & Global Moderator

Cazzie wrote:
Billy wrote:
"I've had lots of...fun...with you..." That was hilarious yet terrifying at the same time.

:laughing That made me laugh just reading it there.. can't wait to watch it!

I was specifically referring to an incident which happened when Mavis and I were on our own in the hotel's restaurant one Friday evening. :P

Mavis is a great, feisty lady - or as Wayne put it so eloquently, a "tough old bird"! So pleasing to see her win £26,000 especially after the horrible endings to Dermot's and George's games in the 2 shows before.

I noticed today was another 33-minute episode and Noel didn't do his end-of-show speech to camera. Instead the camera showed a close-up of me stepping on Lisa's foot and mouthing "sorry" to her. :lol:

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:44 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

:lol:

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:45 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

Yes I noticed that! :lol: You and her already seem close on the wings...I take it she was a good friend of yours too down there?

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:10 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

I wouldn't have thought with all the millions that Bernie ecclestone has that he wouldn't need an extra £26,000! Even my dad walked in and thought it was him! :)

But did we really need a big win and an OPW after back-to-back blues! I actually thought the 8-box offer was really poor as the board was almost exactly like Charlie's (the ginger girl who played at easter 07, not the guy who played last autumn! :) ) - except Mavis had the £250k there when she only had the £100k and was offered 5 grand more!! I know early 07 offers were an anomaly but still! I'd struggle to be moved on any 8-box board with only 2 blues left, especially when the lowest red is £5,000 - so it would have had to be well into the 30s for me to have dealt there!

I actually thought the 5-box board was weaker and the offer went up, so no complaints about the deal. Shame Dermot with his system hadn't have played today with his box countdown, with the biggie being in 1......

But Mavis was great, and great to see old faithful be the exact opposite for once, well done!!!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Brick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:20 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

Good game! I only followed the last two games on here but I imagine this was just what was needed after them. What was it, just one red off the board by the second phonecall? Seems like a long time since we've had a board that strong at that point!

As the rounds went on though, Mavis' board wasn't really as strong as it may have looked at first - it was the bigger numbers that were going rather than the low 'fallback' values. At 5-box there was an argument either way really - the board was still good but you'd be counting on the 250k to stay for the offer to go up more. Well done Mavis!

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:18 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis
Forum Games Moderator

Billy wrote:
TEH WINAR!!!!!!!

Why did I stop watching this show!

Probably the same reason I did in 2007. Wanted to get a bloody life....

Welldone Mavis on £26,000. I must admit if anyone expected her to turn down £26,000 they're stark raving crazy.......

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

rico7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:23 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

Much needed show after the 2 blue wins. It so nearly presented a scenario of 5 reds at the
end to contrast with 5 blues! I was wondering if we've ever had two consecutive shows
with 5 of one colour followed by 5 of another. I would doubt it, but maybe somebody can pull out
the stats.

Mavis was a great contestant, there was plenty of humour, she came across as playing the game
without nerves and real confidence. She was clearly there to have fun, but then knew when
to call it quits given her plans.

Old Faithful 26K was predictable enough given the board, and although there was likely
to be some consolation if things went wrong, it probably wouldn't have been enough for what
Mavis had talked about. I can imagine there would have been some great celebrations after that show, although depending on the filming sequence it might have been tinged with some sadness given the previous two shows.

Well done Mavis on 26K! :D

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:38 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

By turning down £20k and taking £26k, it seemed Mavis wasn't being a targetist but based her decisions on the board. The 5 box offer could have been a bit better but Old Faithful seemed an easy offer to call from the sofa.

flamedtresses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:32 pm    Author: flamedtresses    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

what a great lady. enjoy the win mavis :)

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:08 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

What a great game, really admired Mavis's attitude and the way she played the game . I have to concur with those who say this game is just the pick up we needed after the past couple of days.

Think the 5 box deal was perfectly acceptable, Personally I tend to think that any offer in excess of the second highest amount on the board is worth considering. Probably would have taken that myself though with only one blue left on the board it would have depended how lucky i was feeling on the day.

nevadajo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:17 am    Author: nevadajo7    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

enjoy ya bed & Os mavis
:biggrin

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:26 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

The first OPW win of the week (and hopefully not the last). Whilst £26,000 may have made a few people decide to no deal (me included) it was the right deal for Mavis, and is it proved for the game itself. Mavis had talked about the plans she had for the money, which £26,000 will achieve.

I'm not sure why they cut Noel's speech at the end though, which only takes a few seconds. Why not just cut Noel's welcome to DOND speech and the title sequence instead.

lozz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:02 am    Author: lozz    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

First post :D

Definitely enjoyed today's show, Mavis was an entertaining contestant to watch and it was incredible how her board was just dominated by reds for a good portion of the game! Also noticed Noel's end speech wasn't included, has that ever happened before?

granitecitybino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:31 am    Author: granitecitybino    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

Probably because they ran out of time following the later start due to Cheltenham racing. Have noticed that todays show is 5 minutes longer so maybe we will get a very long end of game speech today instead :smt047

ciderduck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:53 am    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

Simon F wrote:
The 5 box offer could have been a bit better but Old Faithful seemed an easy offer to call from the sofa.

i agree, when noel mentioned she'd seen every show from the start, i just knew that 26k would be offered. and i was slightly disappointed (i know the 75k went just before)....should've been a little higher, eg 28k...not much i know, but still......that was a great game, banker chewed up and spat out indeed, great lady to watch, congratulations! :lol:

ciderduck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:55 am    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

granitecitybino wrote:
Have noticed that todays show is 5 minutes longer so maybe we will get a very long end of game speech today instead :smt047

or maybe it'll be a blinder of a game, but in a good or bad way :ponder: I noticed Mary's game was 50mins long....so can we expect something like that? i hope so!

ps, never bother watching the final speech, so missed the foot treading incident! :shock:

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:04 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

After the last couple of games, this was well needed.

A very enjoyable game that had tons of energy. Mavis was great and it was good to see her get an OPW. £26,000 is brilliant money.

I noticed David saying sorry to Lisa, but wasn't really sure why so thanks for clearing that up.

maggieq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:35 pm    Author: maggieq    Post subject: Re: 11/03 Mavis

:laughing well played Mavis.good offer gladly accepted lol!bet shes already enjoying the money.

[ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]