Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu May 19, 2022 10:51 am Last visit was: Thu May 19, 2022 10:51 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

cool-luke-18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:55 pm    Author: cool-luke-18    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

Warnings: 0
What a shame there were virtually no offers to consider, the fact the game was so bad that he had five blues at five box which is very unlucky but contestants would have to be extremely lucky to get all reds at five box and there is an equal chance of it happening. I am pleased that he took it on the chin and pretended as if nothing had happened and stayed positive, some people cry if it goes extremely bad.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:59 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

I see KP's point. If past games mean nothing to the present player's game, why should Noel mention them at all? I know DOND is unique in that the players have a long stay in the studio but other than possibly Millionaire, is there another show where the host mentions previous games in the intro to the present game.

rico7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:15 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

Very annoying to see such a traincrash from 11 box.
George was probably only one box away from an offer of £2,000 or close enough to it
given the banker's promise of close to the mean offers.

George took it really well though. As disappointing as it was, perhaps it was easier to take
than yesterday's show where the stakes were so much higher at the end.

He thought he would win a blue, often you get what you expect! :(

If this game had to happen, at least it happened after the 25 streak.

Power5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:57 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

Well, I guess if Dermot hadn't decided to gamble the red winning streak would have only lasted for one extra day!

One of those games that you just can't do anything about, good first round (though blasting out the middle part of the board always leaves you vulnerable to a middle third of the game like he had, those low reds do have some value in gameplay terms!) then fell apart completely in double quick time. At least he took it well, haven't seen too many people so pleased to open their box and reveal they have won £250 even if he couldn't remember what it actually was and was just relieved it wasn't 1p!

And after equalling the red streak record, we're now one off equalling the blue streak record I think... and was this the most spectacular first-offer peak ever (twice as high as any other offer?) I remember Howard back in late 2006 who got an £18k opener and won £1, but can't remember what his later offers were like.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:10 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

I don't think Howard got offered more than about £4k after he turned down the £18k, P5!!

I was getting September flashbacks there! I think the banker only offering dealable offers once there's only blues left is just as much of a joke as being really nasty like Caroline's £4 offer. I definitely didn't have George as a third round dealer but something around £10k at 11-box could have been an interesting decision (1p Adam got £20k on the same board!!!), but the only hard decision he got was at 2-box! Good that he took it with a laugh anyway, so it didn't feel depressing, and swapping the 1p away for a feel-good end of sorts. Indeed it's probably in the top 10 blue wins for me. Seeing him so the Andy K-style celebration atw inning £250 was great!

He's not going to go home regretting no-dealing at any point like Dermot possibly might have.

Unlucky George, but you did the best you could given how the boxes went!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:48 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George
International Forums Moderator

£4,500 if I remember rightly.

I respect everyone's opinion, and hope that people respect mine on the show's presentation decisions. Suffice to say that nobody could have been coerced into winning more than £250 today. :(

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Power5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:50 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

KP wrote:
£4,500 if I remember rightly.

I respect everyone's opinion, and hope that people respect mine on the show's presentation decisions. Suffice to say that nobody could have been coerced into winning more than £250 today. :(

Apart from George's brother perhaps...

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

Despite a very unlucky game, it was great to see George take it so well. I'd heard something about this game, so I was not overly surprised at the result.

As I said yesterday, I just hope this doesn't lead to a run of cautious games...

Profile E-mail  

flamedtresses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:56 pm    Author: flamedtresses    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

what a nice guy george is. he took his blue win so well. :( wish he'd have gone away with more

Profile E-mail  

collydolly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:24 pm    Author: collydolly    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

Such an unlucky game and what a nice man and happy with his £250 :D

I hope his Brother didn't give him too hard a time :roll:

MisterAl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:04 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

KP wrote:
So, erm, let me see. Noel, as supportive host, says players should ignore a game where a gamble went wrong, and only focus on games where a gamble paid off.

Well, that's twisting things somewhat. He was saying that the players shouldn't let Dermot's bad result get to them. And when he mentioned Claire's game, he didn't say anything at all about how her win had been obtained by going to the end of the game. He just focused on the fact that it was a nice win.

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:09 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

Yes, but they'll have remembered how Claire in particular got that, no further context was required.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:38 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

KP wrote:
Yes, but they'll have remembered how Claire in particular got that, no further context was required.

So you're judging Noel on something that he didn't say?

Profile E-mail  

greeny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:12 am    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

KP wrote:

I'm not keen on how you're jumping to conclusions which aren't there. You are presuming that this is the case, but it may not be the case.

Profile E-mail  

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:21 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

Wow, the red run is well and truely over now isn't it?

While Dermot arguably pushed his luck a little too far, George just didn't seem to have any luck to begin with - or if he did he used it all up in the first round.

A harsh game to watch but I was impressed once again by the way George took it in his stride.

And a canny use of the swap too I might add.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:54 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

h2005 wrote:
Today's episode started about 5 minutes late due to Cheltenham racing, but it finished on time. The total recording lasted 33 minutes according to my DVD recorder (excluding adverts) when normally they last about 36 mins... so I guess 3 mins has been slashed from DOND to allow for Cheltenham overrunning.

I had noticed that too, but as I recall they did the same last year when Cheltenham was on.

An unlucky game for George, with nothing meaningful worth considering. Though at least he was lucky enough to avoid the 1p club (though i'd actually prefer to win that by that stage).

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:58 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

They probably edited this one down due to being an utter trainwreck. One of the games later this week lasts five minutes longer which I presume is down to the expectation of over-running, but the game not lending itself to a 33-minute edit.

Goldeneye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:01 pm    Author: Goldeneye    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

This is the first time that 1p has been brought to the table with Box 13.

That said, George does hit 1p Trevor's final two, but in a different unlucky fashion. However, he does avoid the 1p club with a swap.

Also, this is at least the third time that an all blue final two involving Box 13 and Box 20 to the end, one of which was also involving a 1p box (Dave Ellis back in April 2006).

In the audience for Den's (2-Mar-2009, Show #974), Hannah's (3-Mar-2009, Show #975) and Rich's (4-Mar-2009, Show #976) episodes.
Probably the only non-UKer to be in the audience ever...

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:39 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

Not a nice game, is all I can say.

Looking forward to hopefully a better one later!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:11 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 10/03 George

KP wrote:

Why so serious? There's no need for all the negativity.
Joey certainly had it right when he commented on your judgements and the conclusions that you often jump to.
You do realize that the outcomes of previous games have little or nothing to do with this one at all, do you?

[ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]