Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:17 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den

Warnings: 0
DanJudge wrote:
Big-Davey wrote:
I wouldn't have taken the gamble then, no! :oops:

I guess it's one of them "spur of the moment" decisions :|

Seriously? That surprises me.

Well on the flip side, I couldn't risk £12,000 on a £1/£50,000 finish...considering I am definitely not a member of the Hindsight Brigade ( :P ), if that was me playing today, on the back of two consecutive shows with the £1 on the table, I would have been feeling really optimistic of the £1 not being on the table again. I know it could have, but it would have carried some confidence through with me.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Goldeneye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:53 pm    Author: Goldeneye    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den

I am probably very recognizable as I have black hair and glasses next to collydolly.

As for the gameplay, just after the single proveout round was over, I had whispered that it would be a Banker's Gamble as the configuration and the deal he made is perfect for that. It turns out I was proven on the money there.

Now, I think Noel made a reference to someone selling a £1 box for £50,000 on the episode prior to this episode. It turned out to be two episodes before this one, even tho the one in between also involved a £1 box on the table too!

In the audience for Den's (2-Mar-2009, Show #974), Hannah's (3-Mar-2009, Show #975) and Rich's (4-Mar-2009, Show #976) episodes.
Probably the only non-UKer to be in the audience ever...

Goldeneye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:57 pm    Author: Goldeneye    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den

As for gambling £12,000 on a high-stakes coin flip for a chance to win £40,000 or lose £11,999, I wouldn't personally do it. However, Box 13 has been usually very good or very bad whenever it's on the table.

Also, so far, I think it might be the only box to neither have the 1p or £250,000 in it when it comes to the table.

In the audience for Den's (2-Mar-2009, Show #974), Hannah's (3-Mar-2009, Show #975) and Rich's (4-Mar-2009, Show #976) episodes.
Probably the only non-UKer to be in the audience ever...

Last edited by Goldeneye on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:58 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den

12K at 5 box was generous but I'd have undealt in an instant.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:30 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den

Missed the very start of that but I have to ask - did they play out the "Postman Pat" theme tune when his name got called? :)

Banker was all over the place with the generosity today - 5-box I thought was a cast-iron deal (unless you're a hardened Wakeyist), I was expecting a return to £9k, but I guess £12k was there for reason to set up a possible Banker's Gamble on £50k/blue - and that's exactly what we got.

I don't get why no swap was allowed (as opposed to Joanne's game where she would have HAD to swap)? It was a bit like Ade's game in that I'd have thought Den would have been more inclined to gamble had he been allowed to swap - and both actually had the big money in front of them. I've never been a fan of Box 13 at the table anyway, it had a great record in 2006 with the likes of £100k Gaz, but produced lots of blues later.

There is a reason why I think the swap wasn't allowed but probably get in a lot of trouble if I say what I think it is. ;-)

But enjoy the £12k Den!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Brick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:00 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den

I think most times someone's thought "Oh, that amount was on the table yesterday, it can't be there again" it's backfired on them (Jim, Shaun, Mavis, probably more...). So I don't blame Den for not relying on that.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:49 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den
International Forums Moderator

No swap allowed because the £50k was on the table and they wanted to make sure that the gamble was the right decision so that Wakeyist spin was possible, James? :P

No arguments with the financial decisions there, although I'd almost certainly have taken on the undeal even with no swap offer, and told the Banker he squandered £49,999 by not making the swap offer. :D

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:32 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den

Looks like it's a bad deal, but it's an understandable move. The only way I'd ever do a Banker's Gamble is if I had two reds left, one smaller than the other. Replace the £1 with one of the lower reds (£1K - £5K), and I'd have definitely gone for it.

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:06 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den

cool-luke-18 wrote:
It's a random game but at the end there was a 50/50 chance that the £1 was on the game. The main reason why I would that the £50,000 was because box 13 had not had a big red in it for a while. The offers were certainly respectable.

Surely the randomness of the game means that the history of box 13 on the table is as irrelevant as the amount on the tables for the last 2 days.

£12k on that finish is stingy but the psychology of having the money already is powerful.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:58 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den
International Forums Moderator

Not that stingy even, as it still equates to £24k on a blue/£100k final two, but in a financial space most seem to find much easier to risk.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:19 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den

That Banker's Gamble was a tough call, I don't know if i'd have had the courage to take it, though i can see why people might. But as Heinz olf used to say "Chance has no memory"

Beside using Moxx's theory of deeply significant numbers the £50k should have been in box 5 :oops:

Not a big money game for Den then but a decent one (albeit with a sting in the tail) and i did think that the £12k offer at 5 box was very respectable, and definately worth taking

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:30 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den

It was an intriguing finish to today's game - and Den was quite an intriguing character as well. I agree with most that the 5-box £12k was a good offer for the board, and I'd have taken it as well, but the banker's gamble was far less of a clear cut decision - I'm really not sure what I would do there.

It's easy to persuade yourself £1 won't be there 3 games in a row, but that's hardly a valid reason for taking it. I know I'd have taken it had it been £10k or less, but that extra £2k seems to make all the difference and edge the decision to a deal - just.

As for the banker not offering a swap, I don't tend to read anything into that, it's the banker's money so he can make whatever offers he likes - I don't like the fact the swap is almost taken as a given these days (remember when the very suggestion of it used to be met by an audible gasp from the audience?), essentially it doesn't make any difference because no one knows where the money is, so it's 50% whatever. No swap doesn't equal wakeyist influence intention.

Anyway, nice twist to today's game (if massively predictable) - built up the tension well at the end with the long pause.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:46 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den

The run of decent wins continues!

I don't see anything wrong with the deal, a very generous offer for the board, one which I would have taken. I wouldn't have accepted the BG either, I'd rather go away with £12,000 and have the £50,000 in my box than go on and end up winning £1 (I know that wouldn't have happened but..).

Andrea10163

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:12 pm    Author: Andrea10163    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den

Am I the only one who was bored by this game. I didnt find anything exciting about it at all. :smt009 I felt that Den's character was not allowed to show through and was one of the most serious game plays I have seen in a long time

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:47 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 02/03 Den
Forum Games Moderator

Andrea10163 wrote:
Am I the only one who was bored by this game. I didnt find anything exciting about it at all. :smt009 I felt that Den's character was not allowed to show through and was one of the most serious game plays I have seen in a long time

I hate to point this out, but this is a game involving, potentially, up to £250,000. It must be played at least relatively seriously.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

[ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]