Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:56 pm Last visit was: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:56 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:02 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

Warnings: 0
kestral wrote:
DanJudge wrote:
Surely I have seen Airplane....... cue the joke....

Glad you have seen the film and stop calling me Shirley :P

WIN! :D :lol:

xuenilom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:04 pm    Author: xuenilom    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

What an ace game! my fave so far loved it !!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:05 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen
International Forums Moderator

wkd wrote:
I'm deeply disturbed by these 'go all the way', offers irrelvant, my time has come, destiny calling nutcases (I mean that respectfully!). However she pulled off that persona to the extent that I was shocked when she eventually dealed on one of the most generous offer I can recall.

Just the way to play the game. Confidently reject the offers with the air of someone who'll go all the way. Get a fantastic offer. Then deal.

Except she didn't do that. She did confidently reject early offers and hinted at going to the end, and she did get a fantastic offer.

At eight-box. :)

I do think it's possible to accuse her of bad play when she's not playing on her behalf, though if it's just for money for herself it's her financial decisions and I can disagree with and question them all I like but still accept them on some level. This causality works in reverse, too!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Kanga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:07 pm    Author: Kanga    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

Wow - what a lovely lady and what a great game.

I think the others would have been more upset than she would if it had all gone wrong.

Profile E-mail  

EnglishDevil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:08 pm    Author: EnglishDevil    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

What a game! Doreen was awesome ... a true DOND legend.

£20,000 would have got me walking ... but the chance of an all blue round at 8-box would have been pretty good (I guess), but it would have taken only one box with £250k to be revealed and it would have been a disaster.

£50k was an unbelievable offer. Way higher than I expected. I was thinking around the £30k mark ... to me it was placed way to high and would have ended the game for all but the most hardened (or stupid) gamblers.

£250k in box 8.

Profile E-mail  

xuenilom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:10 pm    Author: xuenilom    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

Dan.. What should the offer have been ? :D

Profile E-mail  

DanJudge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:12 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

Yeah, I've got to say, this is completely the flip side to how I would play the game, as you can confirm by comparing it to my game.

But (cue broken record;)) as long as the player isn't going to be all tears and moaning if things go wrong, I think anyone should be able to play their own game and I wish them well.

I see your point KP, but as I have said before, the occasional player taking big gambles won't make a nation of reckless gamblers in the future. Most people can see that DOND is a gameshow and the rules in that enclosed environment are not nescesarily the rules we should follow in life. I don't think Doreen has a duty to play the game in any way other than her own. The reason the show is so good is because the variation of characters. So seeing a few "reckless" players here and there won't harm anyone in my humble opinion.

She's an 82 year old woman and she won't realistically get the chance to take a big gamble like that in her life, so I cannot ever begrudge her of taking her chance.

Well done Doreen. I wouldn't have done anything like that, but it worked for you and I'm over the moon. Genuinely a very impressive woman and more alive and full of beans than most people half her age.

Profile E-mail  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:14 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

Fantastic! What a game! The Epic Win streak continues :D !

Congrats to Doreen, and enjoy every penny of that well-deserved £50,000 :D !

DanJudge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:17 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

xuenilom wrote:
Dan.. What should the offer have been ? :D

in a 2 box situation with someone sooo keen on No dealing, I think 75% mean (£37,500) would be in the "awesome, but possible" category.

She got 100% of the mean (give or take a few coppers)!

Awesome offer!

Profile E-mail  

DanJudge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:20 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

Quote:
"This is the death of Endemol's attempts to manipulate the viewing millions. This is the most important game in DoND history."
-KP on Daniel's game, 20 / 02 / 09.

from your "Random Quote Space" Mad_Mark.

I said at the time that my game would be forgotten very quickly, ha ha ha ha ha. Two opposite games, 2 OPW. There is no 1 way to play this game and ensure an OPW. The only thing you can guarantee is that there are no guarantees!. ;)

Profile E-mail  

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:34 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

Ok I have been annoyed as I haven't had access to a TV this afternoon and then I come on here and read about some of the most ridiculous offers ever. wow. similar to 47K trevor's offer.

travis P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:47 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

DanJudge wrote:
Quote:
"This is the death of Endemol's attempts to manipulate the viewing millions. This is the most important game in DoND history."
-KP on Daniel's game, 20 / 02 / 09.

from your "Random Quote Space" Mad_Mark.

I said at the time that my game would be forgotten very quickly, ha ha ha ha ha. Two opposite games, 2 OPW. There is no 1 way to play this game and ensure an OPW. The only thing you can guarantee is that there are no guarantees!. ;)

That was well.... mad, offer wise.

I also mentioned last week that people will remember about you playing the banker but not winning £16,500 after a few weeks but not inside a single week :shock: As I bet those who left work early will see me on Monday saying "did you see Doreen win £50,000" as nobody has said to me about your game. Also I bet one major demographic to the show (as KP previously pointed out), the OAPs where really cheering Dorren on today.

It will be interesting if anybody on the wings did plead her to deal at an earlier stage. Given the offers he made while Dan was there last week compared to today's offers which a fourm member was awaiting his turn.

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:52 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen
Forum Games Moderator

Is it me or was the £50,000 so over-inflated? :suspect:

Last edited by Skyline on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:53 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

It was 100% of the mean as I recall it :smt105

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:55 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen
Forum Games Moderator

KP wrote:
From here, if this offer is £32,000 or less, she has effectively partaken in a negative-expectation gamble. If she takes that, she'd then be proven irrational for No Dealing £20,000 assuming a standard utility function (which for these stakes and this situation you absolutely have to IMO).

It isn't, it's the mean.

If she turns this down, then I am actually going to wish her the worst of luck.

She played the game how she wanted to. Some people do like to take gambles. Real extreme anti-wakeyism there :o

Last edited by Skyline on Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:57 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

That was incredible!

That game was simply a remake of MJ's game last January; a woman so hell-bent on wanting to make other people happy, and would strive to win that £250,000! No bloody wonder the offers were so huge!

I said if the all-blue round she craved followed, the offer would be doubled (£40,000), so for it to have been £50,000 was a godsend!

But I'd have cried off with £20,000! :P

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:00 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen
Administrator & Global Moderator

Doreen was a truly delightful lady and so far, that was the best show I'd been there for. It had everything as far as I'm concerned - an entertaining and likeable character, an exciting no deal followed by a relieving deal, a proveout which went in Doreen's favour, and having just £1 being in her box meant it was a massive player win. The only thing there wasn't much of today was banter with the other players - but I don't think there was a chance of any as Doreen was providing all the entertainment needed, and she did so brilliantly and with style.

My heart was literally pounding after she no dealt £20k, and I never thought he'd go near £50k at 5-box. I guessed it'd be about £40k at most, but I was blown away when it was £50k. I think that's the most generous offer ever (in proveout or in live-play) on a 4 blues / £250k board. I nearly piped up and said that the banker normally offers £10k - £15k on such a board, but I knew that she'd made up her mind anyway and was going to do the right decision for her.

I don't think today's game is going to adversely affect millions of people - it may positively affect them in as much as it gave them 45 minutes of pure entertainment though. She didn't have "zero regard for the value of money" as KP said earlier - she knew what the money meant but she was there for the big money and she went for it. She was prepared to gamble for it and I see no problem with that. Personally I'd have dealt at £20k, but I can see why she no dealt, and it was definitely her true preference. No-one could've changed her mind either way!

Profile E-mail  

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:00 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

KP wrote:
If she can take it, fine.

It's the two and a half million viewers I'm worried about. I don't want Doreen setting an example like this to them, and I really, really, really don't want Noel endorsing that example all spring.

It's just a gameshow. :? Besides the 20K no deal was fine/good. She scared the banker. 1000 times better than 2008.

angebabe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:00 pm    Author: angebabe    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

just seen Doreen on ch4+1 and my god what a lady...nerves of steel im so pleased she delt ,good game ,a top ten game i think but i still enjoyed last fridays more.....Well Done Queen Doreen

Profile E-mail  

foxxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:05 pm    Author: foxxy    Post subject: Re: 27/02 Doreen

I am EXHAUSTED!!!!!!

What a game! Doreen is such a lovely lady, and the £50k WILL make a difference to a childs life I'm sure!

It's games like these that has me on the edge of the sofa, and my eyes still hurt from the emotion of the final box openings!

Thanks 'your highness'!

Profile E-mail  
 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]