Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue May 17, 2022 9:48 pm Last visit was: Tue May 17, 2022 9:48 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

clareclw1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:12 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

Warnings: 0
First of all, good on you Aby for a lovely sum of money!! I think it was obvious to us all how much that meant to you and your family, so good on you girl!

I do feel that maybe Aby felt some pressure to no deal at 8 box and thats why she went on. I think the tears after it showed that, and in a way, it probably came from games like mine where an earlyish deal wasnt well rewarded in terms of the luck of the boxes. Certainly if i was there, having seen how much that amount meant to her, (even if it was a low offer from the banker) i would have advised her to take the money. Still, it was a courageous move and £14k is certainly a great amount of cash!!

Well done Aby! xx :-D

Profile E-mail  

wkd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:20 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

A deal looked inevitable at 5 box. Having gone for it after much agonising at 8 box only to hit 250k I think her will to resist was sapped. The two blues then seemed a lifeline to the 5 box offer which I think would have been taken as long it wasn't insulting. As it happens 14k was quite fair and the deal was, as I say, inevitable.

Another game, another 5 figure win. Good stuff!

DanJudge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:36 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

True wkd. Agree with all of that. The streak continues too. 16 Big wins in a row with the only sub £10k win being an OPW....

£14,000 - Aby
£18,000 - Kath
£15,000 - Andreas
£8,000 - Tom
£16,500 - Dan
£42,000 - Julie
£25,000 - Jimmy
£26,000 - Nagib
£30,000 - Carla
£12,750 - Sue
£21,000 - Melissa
£30,000 - Del
£15,000 - Clare-Louise
£11,750 - Ash
£20,000 - Alfonso
£15,000 - Amrik
£1 - Walter
£19,000 - Barbara
£5,000 - Sally
£13,000 - Anna
£4,500 - Ty
£15,000 - Alfie
£6,000 - Andy
£8,800 - Michael
£35,000 - Ann
£17,500 - Ade
£0.50p - Steve
£35,000 - Debbie
£9,000 - Carol
£16,000 - Trev
£21,500 - Bobbie
£21,500 - Carl

Profile E-mail  

ell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:41 pm    Author: ell    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

Well done Aby great game, enjoy the money you came across brilliant ell xx

old bird

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:41 pm    Author: old bird    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

Well apart from all the annoying 'high 5' and the laughing, I really liked Aby and was so glad she took the 14k.

Thank you.

Last edited by old bird on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melliemel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:46 pm    Author: melliemel    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

Brilliant game Abi, a real contrast from yesterday! I cheered when she dealt at 19k then realsied she had said NO DEAL! :shock: Well done Ab's.....you were brave!

I really enjoyed it and loved being on the show with you, i feel similar to Dan and felt they were my littlies as they were my newbies! :D and wanted Abi and Hannah to do well

14k is a great amount Abi.....great to see all the wins we've had too Dan, god we were a lucky group but alot of that is down to you so thank you xxx

Profile E-mail  

Brick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:18 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

i was expecting Aby to be hard to pin down when her name was called out, but she was so surprised she could barely move! :shock: :lol:

Turning down that 8-box offer was brave and I'm glad she picked herself up after the 250k went, the studio mood at that point must have been the complete opposite of the lively first few rounds. The 14k was a decent enough get-out and it's good to see that, for all her hysterics (for want of a better term), Aby kept in check what she wanted to achieve and got a good result! :-)

rico7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:07 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

A good show today, lots of energy from Aby and some twists and turns with an excellent recovery after a poor 1st round.

Fair banker offers, and the right decision to deal as h said in the show.
It is usually worth no dealing at 8 box if there's some insurance
but if it doesn't quite work out it's better to cut your losses rather than chase them to a traincrash which is what
Aby did although I think she really was tempted to go on.

Well done Aby for 14K. :D

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:28 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

I always have a huge soft spot for the manic emotional ones, I guess it all stems from my favourite trio from late June 2006 who only had Ryan splitting them up of wehn the played....and Aby certainly belonged to that category. SO glad she dealt as being left with an all pocket change last pair would have been heartbreaking given how emotional she was.

I thought the 8-box offer was slightly stingy too - I remember Kascey got offered £25k on an identical board (well different but similar blues) and I was expecting something similar there. I guess they didn't want two identical games two days in a row (as Aby had £75k and £50k to Kath's £100k and £35k so very similar), so I think Aby played it well - play the board while it was strong, then get out when it started to look dodgy and the chance of having the quarter-mill in the box had gone. Really happy about that, well done! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:44 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

Can't blame Aby for no dealing at 8 box, especially after what happened in yesterday's game - the £50k+ proveout offer might have an influence. The most likely outcome from 8 box was to take out 1 red and 2 blues and unfortunately it was the biggie that went.

A few months ago, a player would have got a joke offer (£5k-£7k) but recently the banker seems to be giving players decent offers in the endgame.

KP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:59 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby
International Forums Moderator

If she had to think that hard about that eight-box offer, I think she should probably have taken the rather better eleven-box one. Although it wouldn't have been an OPW - the proveout offer there would have been £30k+ at eight-box...

The text commentary hints at Noel talking down the fourth round and even offering genuine advice towards a Deal. The former I can understand as an attempt to trigger a weak offer (which duly arrived) which would force the game to five-box. The latter directly contradicts that, but Aby still made a possibly-out-of-character No Deal, and could probably have been taken out at five-box for the quoted seven grand instead of the wildly inflated offer of double that, which felt to me like a blatant attempt to make the risk of gambles gone wrong seem smaller than they are (the flipside of yesterday's Deal and proveout lies) in order to encourage the future contestants on the wings to No Deal.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

granitecitybino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 pm    Author: granitecitybino    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

Normal service has been resumed after a game i couldnt really get into yesterday, today we get a good fun game with a great contestant and a well timed deal before a perfect proveout.

Well done Abi on a £14k win.

Jim

Profile E-mail  

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:41 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

A lively (and loud) game today. It looked like Aby was wanting to deal at 8-box but decided to risk going one more round. Thankfully it wasn't too bad a decision to go on, though of course it would have been much better if the £250,000 had remained, but at least it was followed by two blues which recovered the loss, just about.

So after taking a gamble at 8-box, and as long as it wasn't a joke offer (like the £7,000 he said he'd offer to other plays), I think dealing was the right choice for Aby and as it turned out for the game as well. Even if it wasn't the largest offer of the game.

Profile E-mail  

xuenilom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 pm    Author: xuenilom    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

Congrats Aby, I'd have played exactly the same as her justified Deal in the end also! :-D

Profile E-mail  

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:48 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

Crazy game, I didn't know what on earth she was on about at times, but it was loads more fun than yesterday, and some entertaining if often random banter throughout, together with a strong board, and a decent set of offers, and the banker genuinely tried to buy the box at quite a few stages today.

I was surprised he only dropped £4k at the end there with the £250k just gone and a 30% chance of complete disaster, but it was a fair offer and one I'd have taken for sure. I'm sure he wanted a feel-good finish, and strongly suspected a deal after the setback of the previous round.

Great mad game, with a perfect result - we seem to be having a lot of blue/ blue finishes in proveout at the moment, which is excellent!

Profile E-mail  

Brick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:35 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

KP wrote:
If she had to think that hard about that eight-box offer, I think she should probably have taken the rather better eleven-box one. Although it wouldn't have been an OPW - the proveout offer there would have been £30k+ at eight-box...

The text commentary hints at Noel talking down the fourth round and even offering genuine advice towards a Deal. The former I can understand as an attempt to trigger a weak offer (which duly arrived) which would force the game to five-box. The latter directly contradicts that, but Aby still made a possibly-out-of-character No Deal, and could probably have been taken out at five-box for the quoted seven grand instead of the wildly inflated offer of double that, which felt to me like a blatant attempt to make the risk of gambles gone wrong seem smaller than they are (the flipside of yesterday's Deal and proveout lies) in order to encourage the future contestants on the wings to No Deal.

I can see what you mean but I'm not sure if the 8-box ND was that out of character, Aby gave the impression she thought she had a big number but did talk a bit about "If it's not there...". She knew what she'd do with the money but wasn't going to deal the first half-decent offer. The 5-box offer definitely made her think - to be honest I reckon she might have turned down 7k if it really was offered.

DanJudge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:53 am    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

Somebody mentioned it yesterday as it happened, but it didn't really hit home until I saw it last night, but the moment before Aby opened the box before her 8 box deal, Noel said that "if it were a blue, it would be Abys round and if it were a red, it would undoubtedly be the bankers round". I really didn't like this as it sort of made the banker have to drop his offer, otherwise it would seem like Noel didn't know what he was talking about and would take some power off the host. The reason I am annoyed is that trimming £35k off that board would have been a perfectly acceptable and strong round in my opinion.

11 box mean - £37k
Red Blue split - 6 - 5 - Ratio 55% blue
Offer - £19,555
Percentage of Mean - 52%

8 box mean - £47k
Red Blue split - 5 - 3 - Ratio 62.5% blue
Offer - £18,555
Percentage of Mean - 39%

We are led to believe that progressing through the game will get you better offers, but Aby was punished for doing so. Mean goes up, we're later in the game, small hit on the distribution. I think it is a good round.

I think if Noel hadn't said anything, the banker would have upped the offer, rather than dropped it. It annoys be because I am a friend of Aby, but I have to admire it as a tactic though. Dropping a low offer in (not necessarily a joke offer, but an undervalued offer) is a great tactic, because it leaves room for maneuver when there is a strong round coming up (although we didn't really see it). By dropping it low, the player uses that figure as a reference point for the next offer and gives the banker a chance to put another undervalued offer in at 5 box. Even i the figure goes up sharply, there is still a lot of room to play with. Imagine if the 8 box offer was a more reasonable £25k and a there was a good round, to make that next offer seem impressive, he may have to break the £50k barrier! but with £18,555 as the reference point, he could go to £42k and get just as positive as a response.

Most players don't see the board at the instance of the offer, they see the board as a journey, remembering how they got there, what the offers were and whether they had good or bad rounds to get there. The truth is though, that it doesn't matter how you get there. Whether you have a terrible start and then it comes good, or the opposite a board is as strong as it is regardless of the order things went in to get there.

The banker uses this player misconception a treat. Imagine that 8 box board Aby had. Then replicate it as if the board started with the perfect round, gradually getting worse until the worst possible round at the end. Then imagine the same board, but by having a terrible round and improving until ending with great rounds. It's the same board, but would it get the same offer at 8 box??? I would say no!

Sometimes I feel silly getting into the maths and the theory behind things. When it comes down to it. I have nothing but happiness for Abys great win. She did everything perfectly and I'm over the moon for her!

Profile E-mail  

wkd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:23 am    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

Yeah, I didn't really know what Noel was on about. She has three power fives at 11 box and she kept them all to 8 box. The volatility was slightly increased but the offer should have gone up.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:32 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

I'm definitely glad then that I heavily referred to it - because as Alex has already said earlier in this thread, losing £20,000 at that stage was far from a bad thing! I had to replicate the show by including " - £20,000 :( "

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

rico7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:46 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 25/02 Aby

DanJudge wrote:
Most players don't see the board at the instance of the offer, they see the board as a journey, remembering how they got there, what the offers were and whether they had good or bad rounds to get there. The truth is though, that it doesn't matter how you get there. Whether you have a terrible start and then it comes good, or the opposite a board is as strong as it is regardless of the order things went in to get there.

The banker uses this player misconception a treat. Imagine that 8 box board Aby had. Then replicate it as if the board started with the perfect round, gradually getting worse until the worst possible round at the end. Then imagine the same board, but by having a terrible round and improving until ending with great rounds. It's the same board, but would it get the same offer at 8 box??? I would say no!

I agree and therefore the rather annoying maxim that says "it's not how you start it's how you finish" might actually
have some truth in it! :D

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]