Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:05 am Last visit was: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:05 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

KP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:03 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
Played late last year, won five grand after a series of low offers.

By 'loss' I meant not so much 'result to be unhappy with' but 'result sufficiently indistinguishable from a blue that there's little perceived risk in No Dealing it'.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:37 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

Shows like this are why I love this programme so much.

That game was brilliant. Jimmy was awesome, a real nice chap and to see him go away with a great sum of money is brilliant. Yes, the £75k was in the box, but to be honest, I don't care.

Much more like this please!

Profile E-mail  

jimmycross

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:38 pm    Author: jimmycross    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

DanJudge wrote:
I'd like Jimmy to confirm this, but I always thought that Jimmy and I had very similar views on the amounts of money that would start to get us to think. I know I would have made the exact same decisions if I was him.

For me, and my circumstances, £5-6k wouldn't change my life enough to ever consider dealing, unless in a 2-box scenario or if it was incredibly close to the mean with little else to chase.

That is why I think Jimmy was turning down the 5 box offer even before it came (it was edited out). I think, like me, Jimmy plays the game fairly cautiously, but when playng down the lower scale of the game, he seemed to throw caution to the wind a bit more, which is the way I feel about the game.

£5k is worth less to me than the experience I had and near the end of the game, it appears Jimmy may have been thinking the same. I had a lot of chats with Jimmy and it certainly seemed like we were like-minded in regards to strategy. Infact, the first thing he said to me (and I remember it really clearly, by the pool table in the pub) was that if someone was to win the £250k, they would have to be a reckless or very lucky. That instantly struck me as something that a tactical player would say. He went into the game wanting to get a deal, not wanting to open a box. It seemed like his target* was roughly around £14k-20k.

I'd love to hear him confirm or deny these things.

*by target, I do not mean he's a player who would risk everything to get there and gamble nothing to go above it, but I think that was the zone he was aiming for.

Dan the Man...you've pretty much hit the nailon the head! We were there for very different reasons and your thinking was alot more strategic than mine..but we were similar in certain ways! If i was strategic then i didn realise it if you kn ow what im sayin!? I didn really see the game as a game like you did..i just seen it as pure luck..and whatever offers you get you get...i never even thought about numbers until i met you ha ha! It was all about the other side of it that you often talked about wen tellin people the stats...the personal side of it..what would do your head in more if you carried on type thought (if you know what i mean!?). I loved the way that you always told people the facts..and the stats (which impressed me beyond belief)...but then you told them at the end to remember why there here..think about there personal circumsatnces! You mixed the brilliance with the personal touch perfectly mate and for that your a legend!
Here is my take on the whole thing....
I wanted 50k..that was my aim....in a perfect world that was my aim...but i that was the dream and i knew that...it was never 250k cos i wasn there to go all the way...as soon as the banker hit the right note with his offer i was walking away...i just didn know what it would be because you dont know how your game will pan out!...in another show £5200 would have made me walk...i had the thinkin that as long as i didn go with a blue i would be happy...if my game had gone completely belly up and ALL of the big ones had gone i would of adapted my mentality and accepted it was a low money game! Or if it was a massive money game i probably would have gone at 5 box with some good money! Dan your right that 14k to 20k was my realistic target...if the banker had of hit double figures with the offer at 5 box maybe i would have walked...and maybe you would of advised me to Dan??? Fact is.....the big money was still there and the positivity around me while i was there changed my train of thought...i went from..'as long as i dont leave with a blue' ..to...'as long as theres a biggy...crack on!'!
i remember gettin the pep talk at the second break and my words to Noel and the crew member were...' even if i go with the 1p now im goin out with a smile on my face'! Because in my head by then...and Nikki's might i add...we were going home with a blue....that was wen i went over to you Dan and said ...'S*** or bust'!...because it was over in my head....i had adapted to the fact id had a crap game and we were goin home with a blue...BUT......(and like you Dan i used to rip people for this)........the experience was like no other that i have ever come across...and the people within it made mine and Nikki's life that little bit sweeter!!!! Cheesy but true!
One thing ive always lived by and will stand by forever....

'Regret the things you have done...not the things you havent'!

Top man Dan..Love ya! x

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

jimmycross wrote:
Regret the things you have done...not the things you haven't

...which, of course, is easily twisted into regrets applying for a Deal but never for a No Deal...

But great to hear from you, Jimmy! I was in the studio for this, heard your name called but then got kicked out as I was F&F of David and he obviously wasn't there!! This would've been a very good game to see!

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:44 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

Big-Davey wrote:
granitecitybino wrote:
Big-Davey wrote:
FAIL!

What was wrong with Jimmys game that caused it to be a FAIL :blueponder .......He did great to get £25k out of it

Jim

Right...let me explain, I was saying FAIL in reply to James' reply to Mad Mark's comment...sorry for the confusion! :P
Dan and Clare, I've already posted my opinions on today's show on the previous page, I was elated with today's game! :)

How was that a fail? I thought that was a genius comment. :D

Oh and great to hear the full insight Jimmy. :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

jimmycross

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:13 pm    Author: jimmycross    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

KP wrote:
jimmycross wrote:

...which, of course, is easily twisted into regrets applying for a Deal but never for a No Deal...

No....which basically means in my world......you do things for the moment your living....never regret anything.....never sit there wen your grey and old saying...'i was gna do this i was gna do that' just do it...if it doesn work out...at least you done it!

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:43 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

It's an argument for instinct over all else, which is fair enough. It is almost the exact opposite of me and I suppose Daniel, but that doesn't make it wrong. Nor does it intrinsically tie it to gambling - I'm just saying it can be.

Power5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:50 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

KP wrote:
It's an argument for instinct over all else, which is fair enough. It is almost the exact opposite of me and I suppose Daniel, but that doesn't make it wrong. Nor does it intrinsically tie it to gambling - I'm just saying it can be.

There was a thread a couple of years ago about different types of player which I think I started - we had the targetist as referred to above, the board-driven player which was divided into "analyst" and "instinctive" types, and the Wakeyist or out-and-out gambler. All very different but most contestants have a bit of more than one type in them!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:52 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

I think we need to revive it - we haven't seen it in years! It was the Deal-o-meter wasn't it?

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

Power5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:55 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

Big-Davey wrote:
I think we need to revive it - we haven't seen it in years! It was the Deal-o-meter wasn't it?

It wasn't the same as the Dealometer, that was just based on whether people would deal earlier or later than "average". But in this one I defined the categories and people gave an idea of which category they would fit into.

Power5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:23 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

Found them at last! Here goes then:

Types of DOND player:

http://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9460

The Dealometer

http://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8993

KP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:20 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

Check out H2005's ultra-ironic post on the Dealometer thread!!!!

greeny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:35 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

I miss the Dealometer, at the time that was done, I won the award for most cautious dealer! I bet that wouldn't be the case now, I tend to play the board rather than money now, though there have been a couple of instances recently where I'd have gone early on in the game....

Profile E-mail  

Power5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:36 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

Maybe someone could do another one now that the Wakey Army are no longer here to turn it into a contest for who finishes "top"?

greeny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

Power5 wrote:
Maybe someone could do another one now that the Wakey Army are no longer here to turn it into a contest for who finishes "top"?

Yes, I was reading the thread, and it basically turned into a discussion on the merits of daniel123 as a Wakeyist, and who was the leader of the 'Wakeyist' camp, then there was Captain Cautious (ie. me) at the other end!

Profile E-mail  

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:50 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 18/02 Jimmy

KP wrote:
jimmycross wrote:

But great to hear from you, Jimmy! I was in the studio for this, heard your name called but then got kicked out as I was F&F of David and he obviously wasn't there!! This would've been a very good game to see!

Now I find out, I've spent the last two shows lookng for him and trying to work out which one he was (was Carla 3rd or 4th from the top?) :oops:

Anyway Jimmy's game was brilliant, a perfect comeback and a brilliant deal. Who cares what was in the box? For a youn g family i'm sure £25k will be a wonderful asset. Bravo to Mrs Jimmy as well for giving him his head and trusting him to play the game his own way.

Definately a most satisfactory game.

[ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]