Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:30 pm Last visit was: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:30 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Power5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:38 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Warnings: 0
There's very few who will "go to the end whatever happens" when it comes down to it. In a low money game a lot will take that attitude, because there's not a lot to lose. But just look at the fact that only one contestant in nearly 1000 has won the top prize, and she did it not through Wakeyism but by getting an insulting final offer. And based on averages there should be 40-50 contestants who have brought it to the table by now? Very few of them have even got to the final offer in play, as having the £250k at five-box means you're either into huge money, if you've got other big ones as backup, or huge gamble territory otherwise.

EnglishDevil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:42 pm    Author: EnglishDevil    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Big-Davey wrote:
I think it's safe to say, considering how the generosity of the offers has significantly increased since Dan's arrival, he will be respected and will get good offers.

It wouldn't surprise me if that happened ... and it's expected as you say.

But I would like to see the challenge of a heartless banker and a smart mathematician. :)

£250k in box 8.

Profile E-mail  

MisterAl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:44 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Power5 wrote:
There's very few who will "go to the end whatever happens" when it comes down to it.

True, but there are people who will continue for superstitious reasons where a cold, hard logician wouldn't. (Orry is the obvious example there, but I'm sure that there are plenty of others.)

Profile E-mail  

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:30 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

DanJudge wrote:
I've looked more aggressive (in terms of gameplay) than I really was. The other person who should feel hardest done by is Alfonso. Who has come accross on TV as a real gambler, turning down all the offers, no matter what, but I definitely didn't get that vibe at the time. I actually thought he gave some of the most reasoned and fair comments during my time there, but in the edit, he seems like a full on Wakeyist! This is definitely not true in my opinion.

With Alfonso's game, I was all geared up to watch someone Wakey it, but it became apparant very quickly he wasn't the Wakeyist he was shown to be on TV, which was good, it kept the element of surprise. It made me wonder what else us TV viewers are missing. I must try to get audience tickets one day. Love the rock/paper/scissors analogy. I never thought I'd see rock/paper/scissors associated with DOND!

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:36 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special
Administrator & Global Moderator

I thought I'd mention that I've just had a quick look, and this is the biggest today's show thread since Brian's on 25th August 2008! His thread had 203 replies, and this thread has 203 replies. Except this reply brings it to 204. The last to have 204 or more was Richard's contoversial "third offer deal on a golden board and lots of money blown" game on 22nd May 2008 with 235 replies!

Well done Clare-Louise! :-D

Profile E-mail  

clareclw1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:39 am    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

well i feel honoured! thanks for checking it out H! :smt047
This makes post 205! hehe..even though some of my thread has been devoted to daniel!! haha...i dont mind dan, really i dont!!! :-D

im glad my game provoked such discussion!!! xx :smt023

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:45 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special
Administrator & Global Moderator

I think the last thread as big as this with so many positive comments and genuine discussion was Laura's on 7th January 2007. :smt047 And before that it was probably this beast of a thread: http://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5123

Clare-Louise has a place in the forum's hall of fame (not that one actually exists :eyes:).

Profile E-mail  

clareclw1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:46 am    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

h2005 wrote:
I think the last thread as big as this with so many positive comments and genuine discussion was Laura's on 7th January 2007. :smt047 And before that it was probably this beast of a thread: viewtopic.php?t=5123

Clare-Louise has a place in the forum's hall of fame (not that one actually exists :eyes:).

awww thats great! and what a game to be compared to!! :-D

maybe a hall of fame should be created???!!!!! :laughing :smt023

Profile E-mail  

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:50 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Power5 wrote:
There's very few who will "go to the end whatever happens" when it comes down to it. In a low money game a lot will take that attitude, because there's not a lot to lose. But just look at the fact that only one contestant in nearly 1000 has won the top prize, and she did it not through Wakeyism but by getting an insulting final offer. And based on averages there should be 40-50 contestants who have brought it to the table by now? Very few of them have even got to the final offer in play, as having the £250k at five-box means you're either into huge money, if you've got other big ones as backup, or huge gamble territory otherwise.

I think personally i'd be more inclined to push my luck on a bad board than a good one, because you've got nothing to lose. A strong board can collapse at any moment, a weak board might just get better

Well what to say about Claire Louise's game? Ouch springs to mind, that was very very unlucky.

I'll never criticise anyone for dealing if it's the right moment for them but there's no denying our girl missed out on some serious money> bad luck really, hope it was some consolation to Claire to get a 'draw' at the end

EnglishDevil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:51 am    Author: EnglishDevil    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

clareclw1 wrote:
h2005 wrote:
I think the last thread as big as this with so many positive comments and genuine discussion was Laura's on 7th January 2007. :smt047 And before that it was probably this beast of a thread: viewtopic.php?t=5123

awww thats great! and what a game to be compared to!! :-D

maybe a hall of fame should be created???!!!!! :laughing :smt023

Yep ... you'll be immortalised as Clare-Louise ... the best player from Brynmawr ... and not a psycho like EnglishDevil's ex-girlfriend! :lol: :lol:

£250k in box 8.

Profile E-mail  

clareclw1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:54 am    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

EnglishDevil wrote:
clareclw1 wrote:

Yep ... you'll be immortalised as Clare-Louise ... the best player from Brynmawr ... and not a psycho like EnglishDevil's ex-girlfriend! :lol: :lol:

Im dying to know who this woman is!! can u PM me her name?!!!!!! :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

rico7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:17 am    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Congrats Clare-Louise on 15K and the longest today's show thread since Brian's! :D

DanJudge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:27 am    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Quote:
To a defensive player, the necklace is a burden. Everyone expects miracles from it, but it is only any real use near the end. So defensive players get pressured into either playing it early where it has little value or pushing further into the game when they don't want to go that far. I saw Clares game for the first time tonight and the pressure for her to go beyond her comfort zone was horrible for me to watch because it paints an inaccurate picture of how it really went down in the studio. There was much more support in the studio at the time, but I guess they wanted to try and make a fool of her and a bit of a scapegoat and it's upset me a bit to be honest. I'm getting more KP-minded by the day since love week has started. I've been edited to sound like some moron, with all my reasoning being edited to be left with the "lets go another round". I have no clue how anyone would think I could be a statsman by watching the show. I've barely uttered a stat, I'd think I were a fraud!, ha ha ha ha.

clare, i posted that in a comment abouts Dels game. I didn't want to Hijack that thread with things about you, so I brought it over here to clear something up that I said.

Quote:
but I guess they wanted to try and make a fool of her and a bit of a scapegoat and it's upset me a bit to be honest.

when I said that, I didn't mean that you looked like a fool. I know you wouldn't expect me to say that anyway, but they have edited the show in a way that highlights what you did as a major error. If you would have taken the £250k straight away or even in that round, the show would have had all the fun bits left in and it would have been a feel good show, highlighting a shrewd decision.

For the record, I thought you came accross really well. Bubbly and polite. When you said that to hannah, they missed the bit instantly afterwards when you laughed it off. also, when the baker mentions it during the next offer, it looks like you are about to plead your innocence again and the camera cuts away again.

Thats all I was saying is that your show was used to contrast against Dels to make the world see how glorious the almighty necklace twist is!!! If Dels would have backfired, I don't know what slant they'd have put on the show that would encourage people to use the necklace near the end.

Profile E-mail  

clareclw1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:16 am    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

DanJudge wrote:
Quote:
To a defensive player, the necklace is a burden. Everyone expects miracles from it, but it is only any real use near the end. So defensive players get pressured into either playing it early where it has little value or pushing further into the game when they don't want to go that far. I saw Clares game for the first time tonight and the pressure for her to go beyond her comfort zone was horrible for me to watch because it paints an inaccurate picture of how it really went down in the studio. There was much more support in the studio at the time, but I guess they wanted to try and make a fool of her and a bit of a scapegoat and it's upset me a bit to be honest. I'm getting more KP-minded by the day since love week has started. I've been edited to sound like some moron, with all my reasoning being edited to be left with the "lets go another round". I have no clue how anyone would think I could be a statsman by watching the show. I've barely uttered a stat, I'd think I were a fraud!, ha ha ha ha.

clare, i posted that in a comment abouts Dels game. I didn't want to Hijack that thread with things about you, so I brought it over here to clear something up that I said.

Quote:
but I guess they wanted to try and make a fool of her and a bit of a scapegoat and it's upset me a bit to be honest.

when I said that, I didn't mean that you looked like a fool. I know you wouldn't expect me to say that anyway, but they have edited the show in a way that highlights what you did as a major error. If you would have taken the £250k straight away or even in that round, the show would have had all the fun bits left in and it would have been a feel good show, highlighting a shrewd decision.

For the record, I thought you came accross really well. Bubbly and polite. When you said that to hannah, they missed the bit instantly afterwards when you laughed it off. also, when the baker mentions it during the next offer, it looks like you are about to plead your innocence again and the camera cuts away again.

Thats all I was saying is that your show was used to contrast against Dels to make the world see how glorious the almighty necklace twist is!!! If Dels would have backfired, I don't know what slant they'd have put on the show that would encourage people to use the necklace near the end.

thats ok dan, i know what you meant! dont worry! haha...i think you're right too. my game has caused some great discussion hasnt it?!!

Profile E-mail  

DanJudge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:28 am    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Quote:
my game has caused some great discussion hasnt it?!!

mainly by us, ha ha ha ha. no-one else cares, ha ha ha.

Profile E-mail  

clareclw1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:30 am    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

DanJudge wrote:
Quote:
my game has caused some great discussion hasnt it?!!

mainly by us, ha ha ha ha. no-one else cares, ha ha ha.

hahaha well we are the best ones here.... :twisted: !!!!!!!!! ...only joking of course!!

Profile E-mail  

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:14 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

I agree, a thread with this many replies is up there with £250k Laura, Bunney and the controversial Richard

KP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:20 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special
International Forums Moderator

I would say that mathematicians - Sarah's certainly a good example here - are inclined to not be swayed by external influences (Noel, the pilgrims, the wings, whatever), as their ability to reason what is(n't) a good offer is grounded more solidly for them than for others.

I said 'would' because Aaron turned down an offer for non-mathematical reasons and went on to admit it.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

DanJudge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:37 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Quote:
controversial Richard

Who is Richard and what was controversial?

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:41 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special
International Forums Moderator

Richard was a player who made a third-offer Deal so clearly conservative as to make 95% of the forum turn into Wakeyists for the day (week? Month? Summer? Year?). He dealt at £22,500, but had the top six (!) boxes in play. Perhaps more pertinently the offer improved only from £17,500 after an all-blue round, strongly hinting that if he was that cautious then the second offer was the right Deal for him... but very few saw it that way.

The proveout (£100,000 in the box, and £250k and £75k staying until five-box) was seen as validating a lot of prejudices and caused the most virulent bullying I've ever seen on the forum.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]