Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:21 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:21 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next

KP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:03 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
DanJudge wrote:
I know that there were only a few of us that ever tried to give the safe opinion.

That's not promising to hear from you, Dan... not promising in the slightest.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:04 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

KP wrote:

Three blatant proveout lies to push the rest of this week's contestants on - I do hope they don't get sucked in.

Missed this one but I haven't seen any evidence of people 'not playing their own games' recently.

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:06 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

KP wrote:
Three blatant proveout lies to push the rest of this week's contestants on - I do hope they don't get sucked in.

Me too, someone has got to use all of the luck he/she has and not have it against him/her :|

beaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:07 pm    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Big-Davey wrote:
I don't think it's fair to brand her a nasty person. I'm sorry, especially seeing as the person involved is actually reading this, and has single-handedly been providing most of the fun times on here in the last month!

I'm not happy with some people's opinions in here...I'm off to chill before I say something I regret.

Just take no notice of it, Clare - you played a good game indeed! :)

I never said she was a nasty person - I was really routing for her and think she's a lovely person and was good fun on the wings.

As I said in an earlier post - the use of the word gutless was probably a little too emotive, but Deal or No Deal is a game of luck and a game of courage is it not. If Clare had shown a little bit of courage and played on the end she would have won £95k.

She may be happy with £15k but that extra £80k was a life changing amount

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:08 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

I do apologise. Seriously, I do.

I was in more particular direction aiming at beaker for calling her gutless. How could she have been gutless? Your tune would have been VERY different if she pulled out the £250,000 in the following round!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

rico7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:09 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Clare-Louise really came across well in her show, I think she's been a real asset to DOND,
and I'm happy she won a decent sum of money. £15,000 was a good offer bearing in mind
there were only two amounts larger than that at the time, and again it's a lot to risk
if you really need that kind of money (which most people do at the moment!)

I find it difficult to believe that some of those proveout offers (24K 27K 95K) would
have been so high in liveplay but the proveout offers are usually inflated anyway.

Although the proveout itself didn't vindicate her deal, I was glad that she didn't fall for
the psychological tactics of the banker (the comments pressurising her to no deal at 8 box)
as so many other contestants have done to their cost, but did what was right for her which
actually takes courage in itself!

The banker wouldn't reveal what he would have offered had the 250K gone in the next box (assuming it was Dan)
(which it easily could have as has happened many times) but I reckon it would have been about £5,000

Don't have any regrets, well played Clare-Louise, enjoy the money! :D

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:10 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

And yes, I must also add, I am not a moderator on here, and thank bloody god - because you're right; freedom of opinion, and it'd be a tough job having to delete part of people's opinions, I'm sure...but as H has just pointed out, you have to follow the forum rules.

I've been slightly out of line today and I have since apologised. My part in this thread is now over.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

wkd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:11 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

beaker wrote:
Big-Davey wrote:
I don't think it's fair to brand her a nasty person. I'm sorry, especially seeing as the person involved is actually reading this, and has single-handedly been providing most of the fun times on here in the last month!

I'm not happy with some people's opinions in here...I'm off to chill before I say something I regret.

Just take no notice of it, Clare - you played a good game indeed! :)

I never said she was a nasty person - I was really routing for her and think she's a lovely person and was good fun on the wings.

As I said in an earlier post - the use of the word gutless was probably a little too emotive, but Deal or No Deal is a game of luck and a game of courage is it not. If Clare had shown a little bit of courage and played on the end she would have won £95k.

She may be happy with £15k but that extra £80k was a life changing amount

She would have won 95k if she had rejected two more offers and then dealt at the perfect time.

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:12 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Yeah and that would've been an OPW, but alas not meant to be

KP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:12 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special
International Forums Moderator

rico7 wrote:
Although the proveout itself didn't vindicate her deal, I was glad that she didn't fall for the psychological tactics of the banker (the comments pressurising her to no deal at 8 box)... but did what was right for her which actually takes courage in itself!

Well, quite. If you can say the D-word with that much pressure (I presume Noel and the pilgrims added to it? Daniel?) it's the right Deal for you.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

beaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:13 pm    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

EnglishDevil wrote:
Very entertaining game today ... but very painful to watch.

Some great banter with the other contestants. Nagib was so funny!

It's a real shame Claire-Louise didn't go away with more money. But I don't blame her for dealing at £15k. I think the necklace really puts doubts in a players mind, and it's definitely something else to worry about during a game.

Btw I dated a teacher from Brynmawr a few years back ... except she never had £15k in the bank. :lol:

As did I, but we didn't stay together long enough for me to see the size of her bank account.

Think she lives the closest to me in terms of players though (about 10 miles away) :lol:

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:13 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Looking back at last year's games, the necklace hasn't been a successful twist so far for contestants, mainly due to the presence of bad luck.

It's a lot easier for the banker to manipulate the offers with the necklace than with say the scrooge/santa - trick/treat gameplay.

beaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 pm    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Big-Davey wrote:
I do apologise. Seriously, I do.

I was in more particular direction aiming at beaker for calling her gutless. How could she have been gutless? Your tune would have been VERY different if she pulled out the £250,000 in the following round!

I also apologise, I said earlier that I was wrong to use the word gutless as it is too emotive - I still think the board was strong enough for her to go on, but as long as Clare is happy with what she won that's fine with me - I'm just disappointed that she could have and should have won more

Well done Clare and please accept my apologies (and lets hope for a Welsh win on Saturday :laughing )

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:20 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Bleh. I'd have dealt £95,000 in an instant. I dare someone to win £30,000 or more this week. Let's see if it happens (it probably won't).

BTW, Jenny, I saw your previous post about censorship, and I must say, I couldn't agree more. Dissenting opinions should be welcomed, and not censored. But hey, I don't run the show around here.

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:22 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Mad Mark wrote:
I dare someone to win £30,000 or more this week. Let's see if it happens (it probably won't).

Well, I've got my eye on Melissa, but that's just me, it could be anyone or it may not happen but we'll have to see...

Last edited by killersbee on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:22 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

I know I said my part in this thread was done with. But my good friend Mark has come out to play... :P

Mad Mark wrote:
Bleh. I'd have dealt £95,000 in an instant. I dare someone to win £30,000 or more this week. Let's see if it happens (it probably won't)...

No, it probably won't. But that's because the Necklace is there to help people get very good offers for early success! And that has been happening...just with the luck carrying on after the deal has been made.

Oh and there is NO WAY you'd have declined £27,000!

DanJudge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:25 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

I think the 8 box deal was on the safe side, but not a ridiculous deal. Bearing in mind that the necklace is only really useful if you would normally go to 5 box. The risk for taking one more box was massive and the gain was minimal (because that £24k offer was laughable, no way that would have happened in live play.) 1/4 would hit her offer hard and 1/8 to decimate her game, but hitting her blue (in live play) would give her a minimal hike in value.

her 8 box offer was £15k, approx 37% of the mean. The banker tries to tell us that the offer would have been £24k after hitting a middle blue, which was 53% the mean. That is a massive and unrealistic hike! If he offered the sma epercentage of the mean, it would have been £16,875. Not really worth one extra box for £1,875, when a quarter of the time it will crash down.

The reason for the crazy proveout on the necklace is that none of us are really using it at this point and it annoyed the producers. They kept playing it up to us and at the end of love week I will discuss this more. 3 more games, 3 more tctics from the banker/player! I won't say anymore on that.

She took an offer that guaranteed her life changing money. The board was perilous and she took a good offer. I can see the virtues of going on to 5 box, although that comes with a 3/8 chance of hitting the top box and a 1/9 chance of hitting top 2.

Carrying on wasn't a bad play here for the right person but anyone who thinks that it was a BAD deal is deluded!

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:26 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

Big-Davey wrote:
I know I said my part in this thread was done with. But my good friend Mark has come out to play... :P

Mad Mark wrote:
Bleh. I'd have dealt £95,000 in an instant. I dare someone to win £30,000 or more this week. Let's see if it happens (it probably won't)...

No, it probably won't. But that's because the Necklace is there to help people get very good offers for early success! And that has been happening...just with the luck carrying on after the deal has been made.

Oh and there is NO WAY you'd have declined £27,000!

Hey, Davey, what are friends for :P ?

You clearly know nothing about me. The £24,000 and £27,000 offers were pure trash. I stand by what I said.

By the way, what's that necklace for, anyway?

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:27 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

the love necklace ideally needs to be used for all or peanuts with the 250K and to contain a blue and extract a large offer in the 6th round. There was only one good use of it last year with an isolated 100K at 6 box to get a generous 16K offer.

greeny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:28 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 11/02 Clare-Louise - Love Week Special

To be honest, I'd have expected £24,000 at most at 5-box on that board, so I really don't believe he'd have gone up 9k on the basis of one box. At most, I'd have expected 18k-19k following the necklace box.

[ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]