Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:08 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:08 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

DanJudge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:06 am    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 10/02 Ash - Love Week Special

Warnings: 0
Quote:
...this doesn't apply in DoND though because the reveals up to two-box are done fairly. (We believe, assume and fervently hope! :D)

exactly, but if the situation gets down to 3 box at deal or no deal with the £250k left and then Noel opens one of the boxes to reveal a goat, then I encourage a swap for the first time ever! ha ha ha.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:49 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 10/02 Ash - Love Week Special

Another decent game. Ash was a nice lady, and I don't begrudge the deal at all. It's just a shame the £35,000 was in her box.

As for the love heart twist, I have no idea when I would use it..perhaps at around 4/3-box.

rico7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:51 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 10/02 Ash - Love Week Special

KP wrote:
HAH! That's a great UK reference, but the Monty Hall Problem relates to a US game show (hosted by, yes, Monty Hall) called Let's Make A Deal, a feature of which at one point involved a player winning whatever was behind one of three curtains. One had a car, two had goats (yes). The contestant would choose a curtain, and then Monty Hall would reveal one of the other two... to contain a goat. Because he does so in full knowledge this will happen (if only you could do that with DoND and blues eh?) the probability of your initial choice of curtain having the car is not 1/2, it is 1/3 - because that is the probability you chose the car in the first place, and if you choose one curtain with a goat the host must reveal the other and the swap is guaranteed to work!)...

...this doesn't apply in DoND though because the reveals up to two-box are done fairly. (We believe, assume and fervently hope! :D)

The Monty Hall problem works perfectly if the host always offered the switch. Monty Hall himself conceeded that there was a 2/3 probability of winning the car with the switch if that was the case. The problem is that most times he didn't offer the switch. As a result you can't use simple mathematical probability, but a more intuitive solution based upon the host's behaviour. Monty talks about it here (possibly after eating a wafer thin mint and then not having the use of his arms and legs which he passed off as being just a flesh wound :D )

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CEFDD1E3FF932A15754C0A967958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

DanJudge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:04 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 10/02 Ash - Love Week Special

I had a very long argument when I first heard this, because the person who told me didn't mention the fact that the host always showed another door* and that the host knew where the car was.

A lot of people miss out these facts.

*in the theoretical puzzle, not in the actual gameshow, because you state that he doesn't always offer the swap.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:39 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 10/02 Ash - Love Week Special

Good game, decent deal, shame about the proveout. Not a lot else i can say really, Ash came across as decent and well balanced.

Agree with what's been said about the Necklace, when to use it is really hard to judge because it can be a poisoned challice

The Dancing Queen moment was funny but am i the only one who thought Rich looked more like Sgt Pepper than ABBA.

[ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]