Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu May 19, 2022 9:57 am Last visit was: Thu May 19, 2022 9:57 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

KP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:32 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
Oh joy. Another game where Wakeyism was... I said induced at first but I don't think it was. Endorsed, certainly, which if anything is worse (inducing gambling just affects the player, sometimes for the better - endorsing gambling could affect the watching millions, certainly the younger and/or most malleable of said audience).

If £13k is enough for you on that final two you shouldn't be gambling £11.5k on that final five, it's as simple as that. I'd have dealt that in a flash and almost certainly the £17k as well.

Still, generous two-box offers are a much, much more sensible way of encouraging early-game risk-taking than prodding from the host. Unfortunately, it seems we got that too with the so-called comedy break link. Sigh.

Immensely glad she has no regrets about the Deal. I would have probably Dealt £17k (and no dealt a likely Banker's Gamble) or failing that £11.5k (and I'd Deal a Banker's Gamble there). My tipping point there is also about £13k, but there's no 'thrill of the chase' element as there clearly was for Barbara to drive me on earlier in the game, so I'd have taken £11,500. Having said that, if I'd known £19k was coming on blue/£50k, I'd have been more than a little tempted.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Last edited by KP on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanJudge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:32 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

Quote:
the main gist was that he isn't a wimp and he would have definitely won £50,000

and by the sounds of it, the money wouldn't mean that much to him even if he won £50,000...... If it is that easy to gamble £19k, then what is £50k going to do for him?? his logic makes no sense. £750 is not enough, but £19,000 isn't.

I'm glad that guy is banned because I wouldn't be around too long if he was on here. I like these boards because even those of you who have differing opinions to me, they're all sensible and grounded in reality.

Profile E-mail  

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:34 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara
Forum Games Moderator

Who got banned? :blueponder

Profile E-mail  

DanJudge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:35 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

Unless I'm wrong, Big-Davey is relaying what his friend is saying (Ithink he was banned) and I had a massive difference of opinion with this guy.

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:36 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara
International Forums Moderator

Dan, if you'd played last year you wouldn't have been on these forums - it's as simple as that. H has since banned a whole swathe of morons (and one person who had reasonable and well-expressed justifications for 'reckless' play, but who spectacularly insulted others who did not act in accordance with them) and the forum's all the better for it.

Two years ago, if you'd played - besides the fact DoND history would have been completely rewritten because the 80%-of-the-mean offers early in the game at the time might actually have been Dealt - you wouldn't have been here, you'd have been at Bother's Bar (a game show blog which made its name with Deal or No Deal commentaries of an often heavily mathematical nature - this site eventually subsumed that, but the Bar's history lives on in many of our analytical phrases and methods).

I love your presence here. This site is reminding me of the best days of that site, but with a greater number of contributors.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

clareclw1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:39 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

just to put a lighter slant on the proceedings....I just watched my voice over!!!!!! hahahahaha!!!!! :laughing

:smt038 :bonk:

Profile E-mail  

DanJudge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:41 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

Quote:
I love your presence here. This site is reminding me of the best days of that site, but with a greater number of contributors.

Well I can't speak for the rest of the contestants, but I am on here all the time. I love it. It's nice to have been there and to see the feedback from the fans of the shows. I've also had one or two maths lessons on here aswell.

You're right, if there was any hostility and idiocy, I'd not bother.

Profile E-mail  

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:41 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara
Forum Games Moderator

TO clairel, are you Claire-Louise?

Now I get you, I joined the banned guys when they were active.

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:41 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

Exactly - that's the only reason why they got banned really; they saw the game purely as either a big win out the box, or anything else a "missed opportunity" - and they ended up offending a LOT of contestants, thus giving this place a fairly bad name...needless to say we're certainly making up for that now! :P

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:45 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

I have to admit these have been fantastic games recently and i got into Barbaras game straight away! I thought she was a very lovely lady and you just couldnt tell what was going through her head which gave the banker a great challenge!

At the end of the day the drop from £19,000 to £750 is a huge loss and £19,000 was a fantastic offer so i don't blame her for dealing one bit.

Also im really glad Daniel is there cause i think hes the only reason the offers are being pitched brilliantly and i think theres been at least 2 offers in each game recently where i would have no idea what i would have done whereas this time last year i think it was about 2 offers per month that stumped me! I just hope these offers continue after Daniel plays his game cause its making the shows right now brilliant!

Well done Barbara on £19,000! Enjoy the money! :-D

Profile E-mail  

clareclw1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:46 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

Skyline wrote:
TO clairel, are you Claire-Louise?

Now I get you, I joined the banned guys when they were active.

yes, I am Clare-Louise off the tele!! hehe!! :smt023

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:47 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

I said it yesterday - those offers REALLY have improved in generosity since Dan arrived...and I too, hope it stays that way after he's gone...

...maybe if he remains an active member on here, Endemol will still see him as an indirect threat? :-D

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:48 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara
Forum Games Moderator

That's why I'm proud to be DANIELIST :smt023

Profile E-mail  

clareclw1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:49 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

I've gotta say it, Dan was a really great person to have on the wings, and he got contestants a few more thousand like today with Barb.

He's got a great maths brain but hes also really funny and a great mate to me!!

Now Dan, you may wanna phone a friend on this one.... :laughing

Profile E-mail  

clareclw1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:56 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

I'm loving this game, Barb is such a great lady, she was a great friend to me when i was there and I'm so chuffed with her 19k for her!!
Dan was right wen he said the 50k in the box didnt phase her for a moment; not once did i hear her say she wished she'd opened her box etc.

My opinion is this, and it was backed up by Tony's game:

If a player says they are gonna go all the way at the start of the game then fair play to them. Its not everyones strategy, but everyone is different. However, at that point, before any boxes are opened, that player only has hope that their board will be great enough for them to play to the end.
When the game unfolds, boxes are opened that change the dynamic of the game and the amount of money in it. Surely it isnt bad if someone says they will go to the end and then dont? Theres nothing wrong with a change of mind in my opinion, and in fact, sometimes i think it is the most sensible. If Tony had thought, at his 40k offer, that it didnt matter that he didnt go to the end, he'd be sitting prettier than with his 50p.

This is only my opinion tho. Sometimes, its better to be happy and cut and run. Depending on personal circumstances of the player too. :-D

Good on you Barb :smt023

Profile E-mail  

rico7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:07 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

That was a brilliant game. I liked Barbara, and was really pleased that it didn't end as a blue trainwreck
and she won £19,000!

Why was more sound Wakeyist advice from Alfonso again rejected?! :-D ;)

Dan, just want to say I thought you pitched it perfect at 19K for the banker to offer the maximum amount.
He may well have offered 15K otherwise (or less) which most people would deal at with only £750 backup, even
contestants like Barbara who was prepared to give it a go. If you had gone any higher then he might have rejected
it and gone a lot lower than 19K.

Clare-Louise thought your promo for next week was great!

This is a good period for DOND, great contestants, healthy sums of money won, good comedy from Noel,
and unpredictability from the banker making for some really entertaining shows. Hopefully this will continue! :D

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:15 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara
Administrator & Global Moderator

Firstly I don't want to appear to be a Big Bad Wolf; the decision to ban people isn't mine or Jimmy's ultimately - it's kestral's as he owns the site! (So blame him for any bannings you don't agree with. :lol:)

Big-Davey wrote:
I'm not going to say what his exactly reply was (especially seeing as H has already warned me not to be his messenger boy - let's just say he's not his favourite person... :ponder: ...the only reason... they got banned... they saw the game purely as either a big win out the box, or anything else a "missed opportunity" - and they ended up offending a LOT of contestants, thus giving this place a fairly bad name...needless to say we're certainly making up for that now! :P

He was banned due to the insulting and negative comments he frequently posted on here - insulting to both contestants and other forum members. That was the reason he (and 2 others) were banned last summer. This is a fansite for the show... if you don't like the show then why come on here and post negative stuff? Intelligent discussion is fine, but throwing around pointless insults and swear words is plain stupid.

DanJudge wrote:
Well I can't speak for the rest of the contestants, but I am on here all the time. I love it. It's nice to have been there and to see the feedback from the fans of the shows. I've also had one or two maths lessons on here aswell.

You're right, if there was any hostility and idiocy, I'd not bother.

That is good to hear... and it makes me pleased that Kestral, Jimmy and I still do bother about this site, despite what may have happened along the lines! This site is here to support the show and aid fans of it to discuss it. I gain nothing financially from the site (and Kestral doesn't really either when you take into account the costs of the web hosting) so it's genuinely pleasing to hear people are still enjoying it!

Profile E-mail  

Rockjack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:30 pm    Author: Rockjack    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

I bet the players are loving being on at the minute with the generous banker, been very nice offers for a few weeks now, 19k at the final 2, usually dont get that with the red being the 100k.. nice offers all round for the players then!

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:31 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

I really enjoyed that - I thought Barbara would play it out on a good board which is what she had earlier on, but wouldn't be reckless. I personally would have taken the £11,500 at 5-box but again i can see the rationale for not doing so, and she managed to extract a (with the help of Daniel of course :) ) at excellent £19k offer - when was the last time there was an offer like that, especially in active play on a £50k/blue finish? Even Artak was offered £2,500 less and he was a massive gambler! Something tells me it was Vic right at the end of season 1.

And she's still over the moon what what she won, and it was tense in earlier rounds, as she took several risks to get to that point, and even Noel didn't harp on too much about the £50k at the end. :)

And no more reminders of Sr Wilson please - having referenced many game threads last year, I can't believe I didn't get banned myself as his and others' posts really got me angry sometimes!

:shock:

(At least basicasic wasn't as bad as the others when the player reached 2-box though......but I'd again have a feeling he'd liken Barbara to £33,333 Dave...)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:47 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 05/02 Barbara

I did watch today's game but I wasn't able to comment earlier due to my Sister who wouldn't let go of the PC! :smt011

It was great when Barbara turned it around and if I'm honest, I wouldn't care about throwing away £31,000, yes it would hurt but at least I would go away with something :)

[ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]