Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:57 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:57 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

clareclw1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:58 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

Warnings: 0
DanJudge wrote:
Did he say he was keeping 6??? I know it was on the box his mate made, but I dont remember him saying the number meant anything to him and he was going to keep it....

Maybe I'm wrong, it was a while ago...

Your right Dan, he never said he was keeping it, he just said it was his favourite number and thats why his mate made the box.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:58 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

He didn't, Dan - I just got the impression because he thought box 6 had it, he'd have kept it to the end...

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

DanJudge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:59 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

Quote:
Hope he doesn't dwell on the 26k.

He was absolutely fine in the green room afterwards. It dwelled on him for about 15 minutes before the fact he'd turned around a trainwreck to win £15k had sunk in.

ciderduck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:59 pm    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

The whole 'play the game with honesty' after dealing is nonsense. If i turned round and changed my mind about a box, is there really anyone gonna turn round and stop the game over it?! Its rubbish. If there was a box there i was convinced had the 250k in, i'd take it out! Eg if i said i was keeping x box in to the end, can anyone STOP me taking it out? Anyone help here?

Last edited by ciderduck on Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:01 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02
International Forums Moderator

Who cares about the proveout when he got £15k from that start? Apparently he didn't care after a while, which says it all!

For what it's worth, I'd have been tempted to play on myself (I certainly wouldn't have considered £7k on that board), but would have expected a poor five-box offer and potential spiral downwards from there. Either I was wrong or the Banker was a liar...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

clareclw1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:02 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

he was so chuffed with the money. Not to go on about his private circumstances, but that money meant a hell of a lot to him and his family, and thats why i was so concerned he was going to lose it. Alfie had to give up his job to go on Deal, so as you can imagine, 15k was the perfect amount for what started as a right trainwreck.

A lovely amount of money for a truly genuine and greay guy. well done Alfie! Luv ya! :-D :laughing

DanJudge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:08 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

I spoke to pat the night before in the pub and she told me that alfie had a £8k target. pretty modest in DOND terms. Thats why my advice may seem a bit cautious on this show (not seen it yet though). I guess it's down to what money means to people. He's 19, and he had a guaranteed £15k. I guess wothout the show of emotion over the amount of money (like Michael), it is hard to see just how good a win it was for him.

Well done Alfie!!!

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:11 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

decent game - there was good tension in the early stages, the offer was justifiable either way and the proveout was interesting.

ciderduck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:15 pm    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

Er. Is that JT from dond 2006 on wogan's total recall?!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:27 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

Yes it is/was! :P

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02
Administrator & Global Moderator

ciderduck wrote:
Er. Is that JT from dond 2006 on wogan's total recall?!

Yes! viewtopic.php?p=534641#p534641

ciderduck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:47 pm    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

Pipped at the final post! Has anyone ever won the 100k on that show?!

MisterAl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:11 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

h2005 wrote:
The banker phones back and says Daniel should point out that the board is unstable, and Daniel agrees.... but he says it's a 76% chance he'll miss the £250k

76%?

Oh dear...

rico7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:23 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

I liked Alfie and thought he played with honesty and bravery as well even though he dealt at 8 box.
It was clear he was really popular with the other contestants, and given what has been said
about his circumstances in this thread I think he made the right decision.

After the disastrous start £15,000 looked a long way off, and after the long deliberation
about 7K it was almost inevitable that the deal would come in the next round.
I thought 15K was generous, I was predicting closer to 12K,
and I agreed with Clare-Louise's advice which seemed to influence Alfie to take the deal perhaps because
she's encouraged people to go on one more round from 8 box usually!

Alfonso gives the impression of being a Wakeyist as his advice often contradicts Dan's,
I wonder if his show will live up to it like Tony's did?! ( hopefully he wins a lot more money though! )

It became a very tense emotional show as there really wasn't a lot of margin for error from 14 box onwards.

Well done Alfie on £15,000! :D

melliemel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:09 pm    Author: melliemel    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

DanJudge wrote:
Did he say he was keeping 6??? I know it was on the box his mate made, but I dont remember him saying the number meant anything to him and he was going to keep it....

Maybe I'm wrong, it was a while ago...

he said at the beginning of his game that it was his favourite number, he didn't actually say he was keeping it until the end, presumption would be that he would have done as some many of us keep that favourite number until the end....

i just wish one of us could have reminded him of his little red box and maybe things would have been very different! :!:

xx

Brick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:22 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

Only caught the end, and Noel pointed out box 6 to him, and Alfie was like "Oh yeah, only just realised that!"

I get the impression he didn't think too much about what boxes he was going to keep to the end.

As others have said, good on him for turning the game around like he did - incredibly generous offers though, I hope the next few players don't start getting punishing ones as a result...

Big D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 pm    Author: Big D    Post subject: Re: Alfie 04/02

ciderduck wrote:
The whole 'play the game with honesty' after dealing is nonsense. If i turned round and changed my mind about a box, is there really anyone gonna turn round and stop the game over it?! Its rubbish. If there was a box there i was convinced had the 250k in, i'd take it out! Eg if i said i was keeping x box in to the end, can anyone STOP me taking it out? Anyone help here?

It's always been the way, and yes, it would be nice to think that if people had certain numbers they were saving, they'd have the integrity to save them after a deal too. Of course if you change your mind before you've dealt then that's fine.

What anoyed me was Noel stopping Anna on Monday, and asking if she was playing on with honesty when she chose...was it Barbara? right after the deal who has a reputation for big reds, yet today he's shouting at Alfie "go on Alfie, destroy your game!" then doesn't even blink when Alfie goes straight to "the death box" actually saying "Yeah, let's find the biggie!" as he goes!

what's that all about then?

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:54 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 04/02 Alfie

I think given Alfie's relief that Box 6 DID have the quarter-million in it, I don't that that was false, as in "Oh well I wouldn't have picked that box anyway....."!!

That was actually quite tense as early as just after the first break, basically from the point the £100k went, ANY red was bad news, even the £1,000 wouldn't have been great. And also tense in that there were offers to think about from 11-box - though it would have been a big anti-climax if he'd dealt the £7k. Given the time he seemed to take over it, it did present a tough challenge for him. In the autumn, He'd have been offered about £2,300 at THAT point, then the £7k at 8-box when he was offered the £15k!! :D

So I thought the 5-box offer would have to have been higher than what he took, but maybe by not quite as much as it did, however the offers certainly are better in the Daniel era! :D

And poor Clare-Louise looked as if she had been through hell and back given how much emotion she but into that gme!

But £15k was still a great resuly given the first few boxes so well done Alfie! (Though I'm getting REALLY impatient waiting for Walter to play!!)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Last edited by James1978 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:56 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 04/02 Alfie

Oh what was it the banker said at 5-box - as in what would the offer have been (£100,723 I take it), and depending on him keeping the £250k in play, or just with the £15k? If he kept it with a blue that would be the biggest lie ever!!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

DanJudge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:00 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 04/02 Alfie

I just texted Alfie to see if he were going to keep box number 6 and his reply was: -

"erm i forgot bwt the box mate so honestly probably not! thanks mate."

So unless Noel would have reminded him in the opposite situation where the game was live, he would have probably still gone for it. I think he genuinely forgot about it and he is definitley not the kind of person to not play honestly on purpose.

Quote:
76%?

Oh dear...

What is the damage then, how far off was I? I never normally had to work out anything from 11 box (poor excuse, hangs head in shame.....).

[ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]