Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue May 17, 2022 9:04 pm Last visit was: Tue May 17, 2022 9:04 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:03 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
KP wrote:
I know it's not much to lose but come on, it's the mean fercryingoutloud!

But she probably didn't think about the mean, she probably thought that it was a case of either losing £5k and going away with £5k, or gaining £5k and going away with £15k. It was just a coin-flip to her. Personally I wouldn't have dealt the banker's gamble mainly because I didn't think it was worth gambling £5k on a coin-flip to gain / lose £5k.

On a final two like that, I think generous offers being no dealt are expected as the two amounts are reasonably close together. If she'd dealt at £10,000 and ended up with a blue vs £20k final 2, and was offered the banker's gamble, I'd doubt she'd have taken it so readily due to the poor backup.

I really enjoyed that game as it had so many twists and turns. Sally kept a level head even when it was going wrong, which I admire her for, and the ending was unexpected but interesting! It'd have been brilliant if she'd had £15k in the box she swapped for, but unfortunately it wasn't to be.

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:05 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

I think it was so cliched to the England game nowadays; we ALWAYS lose on penalties in major tournaments! :roll: :-D So in a warped sense of humour, that was probably the most fitting end to the game, rather than a £15,000 win!

Great game today! And I doubt she'll be upset about losing £5,000 when she still has £5,000! :D

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

DanJudge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:06 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

Quote:
Dan, you could see by your face when they cut to you that you didnt want her to take the gamble!

ha ha ha. Did they. I could sense that my advice was not needed or wanted at that stage. She was clearly happy at £5k and took the punt. It's not a BAD decision, but there wasn't any added value in it that you normally get in a BG.

I guess this is what makes the show so compelling, the differences in the playres. Michael turns down a BG where he is getting really high reward on a gamble and Sally takes a £5k coin toss.

Again, I will always say that if people want to gamble, that is totally fine (no matter what the value of the gamble is) as long as the player is prepared for the down side. Sally barely skipped a beat when the box had £5k in it, so I think she made the right decision for her.

Just a shame it didn't pay off for her...

Profile E-mail  

clareclw1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:11 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

yep, she was def prepared for it, she saw it as a "lose or win 5k" and good for her for havng the guts to go for it!

today was the show the banker acknowledged your influence and knowledge - he said that he couldnt get away with low offers cos u were there giving everyone the truth - fab!! u looked almost shy by the acknowledgement! think i saw a little blush...!!!
:smt023 :laughing :-D

Profile E-mail  

DanJudge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:12 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

Quote:
No sympathy needed! Not like she was in bits or in tears, she knew well the risk involved and took it with good humour unlike plenty of others recently bemoaning a decent deal when they've potentially missed a bigger box they had no intention of going for! Her attitude was just right.

This is my opinion exactly. I am a numbers person and I like to play the board, but I wouldn't care if someone went on a crazy ride of no dealing mean offers and went all to the end if they are prepared for the consequences. Thats why I had no sympathy for Tony (although I still wished it would have worked out for him). He wasn't prepared for the drop to 50p and he was like a ghost in the green room.

Profile E-mail  

wkd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:16 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

KP wrote:
Sorry, no sympathy here. Turning down the mean on a significant money gamble is pure irrationality.

It's neither statistically rational or irrantional. Not for me to gamble five thousand on a fifty chance but you can't say it was foolish.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:27 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

*BUZZER*

| LOSS |
[23]

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:31 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

I wouldn't quote call it a loss as such, just a No Decision on this one

Craig

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:36 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

Oh dear, im still laughing at that box opening (im in a very wierd mood today!), its not cause she didnt get £15,000 cause i was gutted she didnt get it...

It was the audience's reaction to it all, they were all shouting "Come on!" and cheering when Noel was about to open the box, and then when £5,000 was revealed you just heard a huge "Awwwwwwww"....oh boy :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:38 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

Craig wrote:
Oh dear, im still laughing at that box opening (im in a very wierd mood today!), its not cause she didnt get £15,000 cause i was gutted she didnt get it...

It was the audience's reaction to it all, they were all shouting "Come on!" and cheering when Noel was about to open the box, and then when £5,000 was revealed you just heard a huge "Awwwwwwww"....oh boy :lol:

It was just like being at a football match...when someone's just shooting to score...but misses! :lol:

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:39 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

killersbee wrote:

No, no, it's defintely a loss. She won the lesser of the two amounts.

But 5 large is still decent money, I suppose. Could've had 10 grand more, though.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:42 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

Mad Mark wrote:
killersbee wrote:

No, no, it's defintely a loss. She won the lesser of the two amounts.

But 5 large is still decent money, I suppose. Could've had 10 grand more, though.

I think that's quite absurd to be honest. But meh, I'm done with arguing...I'm in a foul mood as it is, so time for me to steam off...

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:07 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally
International Forums Moderator

Not for the first or last time Dan is right; players should take the risks they're prepared to and not the ones they are not.

Emphasis mine because to me that's more important - I'd rather see a safety-first Deal than an out-of-character No Deal, as the former nearly always at least comes with a significant sum of money involved, whereas the latter often doesn't. Furthermore, there's enough pressure on the players to gamble that if they choose not to, it's almost certainly the right decision for them if not the board.

Clare's decision was strictly irrational, but she obviously saw £5k as a 'win', and as such framed the decision differently to how I would. I just hope it was that, rather than the evidently hyped-up audience, that decided things.

I have an insight from the game later this month that I went to in that respect...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

clareclw1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:11 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

KP wrote:
Not for the first or last time Dan is right; players should take the risks they're prepared to and not the ones they are not.

Emphasis mine because to me that's more important - I'd rather see a safety-first Deal than an out-of-character No Deal, as the former nearly always at least comes with a significant sum of money involved, whereas the latter often doesn't. Furthermore, there's enough pressure on the players to gamble that if they choose not to, it's almost certainly the right decision for them if not the board.

Clare's decision was strictly irrational, but she obviously saw £5k as a 'win', and as such framed the decision differently to how I would. I just hope it was that, rather than the evidently hyped-up audience, that decided things.

I have an insight from the game later this month that I went to in that respect...

do you mean sally's decision? i havent played yet!

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:14 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally
International Forums Moderator

That is what I meant but I had you on the brain, Clare!! Consider it a sign you're valuable enough on here that I keep thinking of you I suppose?!?

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

clareclw1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:16 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

thanku KP! I will count myself valuable from now on!!! :-D

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:28 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

KP wrote:
That is what I meant but I had you on the brain, Clare!! Consider it a sign you're valuable enough on here that I keep thinking of you I suppose?!?

I think KP has a crush... :smt047

Profile E-mail  

rico7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:02 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

I think the banker was just calling back to say that he would
have offered the swap in order for Noel to do the hypothetical swap at the end, but Noel
and the audience set up the second banker's gamble by anticipating it.

I would find losing 5K more disappointing than missing out on an extra 5K
so would have been reluctant to take the banker's gamble.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:08 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

It won't surprise many people that I completely agree with Daniel and KP today. No way am I taking an even money gamble when I'm only getting evens on my return.

As a viewer and not an analyst , it was a great ending to the show though. At 5 box, the BG on a £35k/blue finish occurred to me but not on the £5k/£15k finish. It was only when 3 boxes were left that it popped into mind and as soon as the £750 was opened, there was only ever going to be one offer from the banker.

In the end Sally was in a no-win situation today. Had she kept her mouth shut, Noel would have opened the £15k she brought to the table. I think there would have been a lot of negative comments about the banker's tactics had the 3 amount involved not been 3 low reds.

DanJudge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:31 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 03/02 Sally

I chatted to Sally after the game, as I do with everyone. Anyone who has dealt, I will normally tell them either well done if they beat the banker or if they happened to have missed the big money by dealing, I drummed it into there head that any deal a player makes is almost always the right deal. You deal at the moment you deal. Everything afterwards is unknown and we only see the game played out one way, but it could have gone so many other ways. Usually when someone misses out on the bigger money, they still sort of have it in their head (although as stated before, this usually lasts about an hour). With Sally, she was 100% behind her decision, she knew what she was doing and had zero regrets. The cameras showed as much.

Her and her husband were particularly happy to be part of the experience (even more than most) and although she may not have been the most vocal, that isn't really her character, she seemed to enjoy the experience even more than anyone else I met whilst down there.

The decision to take the bankers gamble was definitely not brought on by anyone other than herself and Ernie and he summed up their thoughts exactly when he simply said "5k is enough for me". She had a gamble, I don't think the money really mattered too much, she was enjoying her time as she had done for her entire stay in Bristol. There would have definitely been no thoughts of BG when she dealt.

Really enjoyed the game for that reason. She wanted to play the game more than she wanted to win big. She never got downhearted and although she made a decision that I wouldn't have made (BG), she played the game exactly as she wanted to and if she had the same decision, I know she would take the same route.

Her outlook on the game was fantastic, I just wish she had won her final little flutter.....

Profile E-mail  
 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]