Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:59 am Last visit was: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:59 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

DanJudge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:22 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty

Warnings: 0
Actually, I don't think I got the chance to tell Ty about the 5box stuff I mentioned above because she no dealt so quickly, but the main thing I want to get across is how I always give the same stats each show. Ask Clare, I babbled on for ages, giving probs on everything!, ha ha ha.

I guess the editors don't want to put the same stats in different shows, that's why they kept the "10x more likely" comment in as I only ever said it once.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:36 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty

DanJudge wrote:
Actually, I don't think I got the chance to tell Ty about the 5box stuff I mentioned above because she no dealt so quickly, but the main thing I want to get across is how I always give the same stats each show. Ask Clare, I babbled on for ages, giving probs on everything!, ha ha ha.

I guess the editors don't want to put the same stats in different shows, that's why they kept the "10x more likely" comment in as I only ever said it once.

Or the editors don't want some sensible advice to be shown every day to contradict Noel's rantings.

h2005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:08 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty
Administrator & Global Moderator

Simon F wrote:
DanJudge wrote:

Or the editors don't want some sensible advice to be shown every day to contradict Noel's rantings.

As good as Daniel's stats advice is, I think it's sometimes edited out because a lot of the people watching won't be interested in the stats and won't even know anything about odds and so on. Also if they kept in all of Daniel's advice, then there wouldn't be much time to focus on the advice from other contestants! It also appears to be edited so that there's a mix of banter - in some shows Daniel gets a lot of airtime and the others don't; and sometimes it's switched around and we get to hear more about Ash's horses etc, but less of Daniel's advice.

Profile E-mail  

clareclw1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:30 pm    Author: clareclw1    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty

As you can see, everyone started to realise how good Dan was at reading the board, and as a result, in every game everyone asked for his advice. No spoiler here, but we were very fortunate to have the statman on the wings with us, i know people had a huge respect for his maths ability and as ive said before, dan is a great guy and he knew how to read the board to suit the player too.

i think your right in that they couldnt show him everyday, as it is now, i think dan is stealing my tele time!!!!! :-D

Profile E-mail  

MisterAl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:06 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty

h2005 wrote:
As good as Daniel's stats advice is, I think it's sometimes edited out because a lot of the people watching won't be interested in the stats and won't even know anything about odds and so on.

You mean that there are some people out there who don't want to turn on their television and see a maths lesson?!

Crazy.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:27 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty

MisterAl wrote:
h2005 wrote:
As good as Daniel's stats advice is, I think it's sometimes edited out because a lot of the people watching won't be interested in the stats and won't even know anything about odds and so on.

You mean that there are some people out there who don't want to turn on their television and see a maths lesson?!

Crazy.

I've just had a great idea. Get Johnny Ball in as a co-host for the show. Everyone liked his shows.

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:32 am    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty

Never heard of him... :ponder:

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:30 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty

A shame that the final offer wasn't just a tad higher than £4,500 after Ty previously no dealt it, but presumably that was why the Banker stuck at the same offer at 2-box as some kind of tactic.

Dan talked about the occurrence of the same numbers/amounts and certain themes during games. So perhaps that's why the Banker choose to stick at 2-box. The Banker knew it was an offer that Ty disliked at 5-box and he knew that if he offered it again that it would generate a reaction from Ty like before.

The Banker often uses comments said from a player, or even a picture they've brought along to influence his offers. Like when a player says they hate odd numbers you can then guarantee the theme of the Banker's offers for that player will feature odd numbers.

Whilst it wasn't a massive win at least Ty managed to get a nice bit of money out the game, and luckily didn't no deal to win £100.

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:37 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty

A good game, it was heading cruise control towards a heartbreaker and luckily Ty managed to keep one of the good amounts until the end to get something out of the game.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:19 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty

killersbee wrote:
Never heard of him... :ponder:

Johnny Ball - father of Zoe Ball, presenter of loads of children's TV shows in the 80's that made science and mathematics interesting.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:21 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty
International Forums Moderator

In response to Dan's post about 'sticky' or 'magnetic' offers: the offer-making process is an inexact science (even the original Dutch show with no real 'Banker character' has seen interesting variations in offers lately) and one of the Banker's trends over here is the use of recurring offer motifs. Obviously, this can produce variable offer generosity as these figures are 'magnets'. The Banker will generally avoid small offer movements in either direction where this would be appropriate, in favour of sticks. Occasionally he will of course take this further and make small offer movements in a seemingly counter-intuitive direction - Ade was of course the defining example.

On high-volatility finishes the Banker has enormous offer-setting power and responsibility, because there is such a spread in what people would settle for (some would take a very modest percentage of the mean, but others would chase almost anything below it). For what it's worth, I'd take £4,500 on the £15k-high finish you mention, but would want maybe £6,000 on a £20k-high finish.

H is right to say that the audience don't just want to hear Statman Dan (although it might help them all if they did!), but Simon's point is not at all irrelevant. How long have we been without a statistician in the wings before Dan arrived?

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:24 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty

KP wrote:
How long have we been without a statistician in the wings before Dan arrived?

Nearly three years. No disrespect to other players like Ed or Ned, but I suspect that only Aaron from March 2006 could match Dan's ability to calculate these things on the fly.

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:54 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 30/01 Ty
International Forums Moderator

Very true (Ed and Ned were the only others who even offered any sort of 'statistician' role in the interim, unless I've missed a few weaker possibilities).

And, as I have pointed out more than once here, said statistician turned down an offer primarily because of the stage of the game. Dan has explicitly stated he wouldn't make a decision on that basis alone. Not that I expect him to get a 75%-of-the-mean second offer, but if he did, I'd at least half-expect him to take it.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]