Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:20 pm Last visit was: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:20 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DanJudge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:08 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

Warnings: 0
I agree that the offer is a little low, but the banker will have known that he is not an all or nothing kind of person from the advice he has given (although he does tend to change his mindset from time to time).

I don't think that the offer was so bad that it was a insta-no deal though.

Profile E-mail  

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:09 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

Fell good game but a slightly disappointing ending partly because he took out 50K but because the 17.5K was less than I expected. (I expected mid 20s or at least 23K to continue the pattern)

Still I guess if he had doubts about the swap I guess that sort of justifies it. Still a pretty good amount of money for a good character.

Last edited by alexandercbrown on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DanJudge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:09 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

looked like I was in pain, ha ha ha.

It was the end of a long week. I was shattered. Not looking forward to seeing my mug on TV later, ha ha ha.

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:10 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

Exactly Dan - in comparison to the last two offers, it was nowhere near as generous, and it was plain to see the Banker was doing two things; 1) punishing him for a painful all-red round, and 2) trying to save a few bob coz he knew Ade would simply have to deal for fear that he could have won £750.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

DanJudge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:16 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

the banker/producers know everything about how much money would tempt someone and whether they have financial targets or tendencies to play safe/reckless. The producers and researchers are always very chatty and some players may give too much away. I have nothing to back this up in the case of Ade, but this often explains the relatively low offers certain people get. Maybe the banker/producers picked up on something.

Although I weren't blown away by the offers, I would have pitched them about where the banker did for Ade. Mainly because of his age and the fact that later in the game, his advice tended to be swaying towards safety and in the early rounds, he was more towards a gamble.

Profile E-mail  

MisterAl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:22 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

Well, the Banker specifically mentioned that the back-up reds were what kept the earlier offers going up. When the back-up amounts go, it makes sense that the offers are going to go down.

Also, Ade accepted that £17.5k offer, so it certainly wasn't too low for him!

Profile E-mail  

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:22 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

Big-Davey wrote:
Exactly Dan - in comparison to the last two offers, it was nowhere near as generous, and it was plain to see the Banker was doing two things; 1) punishing him for a painful all-red round, and 2) trying to save a few bob coz he knew Ade would simply have to deal for fear that he could have won £750.

Or the producers/banker might have been aiming for 2 power 5 wins in a row, like they've done before.
Still interesting variety.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:25 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

alexandercbrown wrote:
Big-Davey wrote:

Or the producers/banker might have been aiming for 2 power 5 wins in a row, like they've done before.
Still interesting variety.

I was thinking that too...until I saw his reaction to the offer! :lol:

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:34 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade
Administrator & Global Moderator

MisterAl wrote:
When the back-up amounts go, it makes sense that the offers are going to go down.

I've always thought that the lower reds which act as backups are important to the game. When Alex on New Year's Day was pleased at taking out the 5 lowest reds in his opening round, I thought it left the Power 5 looking rather too exposed. I think an opening round of 3 blues / 2 low reds is preferable to taking out 5 low reds, as the low reds are important.

Anyway, I was surprised that Ade must be in his late 60s (or possibly early 70s) judging by the fact he moved to the UK when he was 24 and he's been married for 41 years. I thought he looked much younger.

The earlier offers in his game were pretty generous, and it was surprising to see the banker go up after revealing the big numbers. It was a shame the final offer wasn't bigger, but Ade admitted that he is cautious on red / blue finishes, so the banker knew he'd get him to deal. It was lucky the banker didn't promise a swap, as otherwise Ade would've got £750 had he carried out the no deal & swap like he said he would have!

Profile E-mail  

DanJudge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:38 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

Quote:
PROUD MEMBER OF DANIELISM

Nice one skyline! Lets just hope that whatever Danielism is, that it ends up being a good thing.......

My lips are sealed!

Profile E-mail  

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:39 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade
Forum Games Moderator

It will be good! :D

Profile E-mail  

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:54 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

DanJudge wrote:
Lets just hope that whatever Danielism is, that it ends up being a good thing

Since I'm looking for a change in what I want out of DOND, I'll join ;)

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:55 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade
Forum Games Moderator

I'll always be the proud second member! Daniel's right hand man!

Profile E-mail  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:02 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

I don't know what Danielism is, but it sounds cool. Count me in as well :D !

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:07 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade
Forum Games Moderator

Hello fellow member! :wave:
What if Daniel has a banana sandwich game?

Profile E-mail  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

Skyline wrote:
Hello fellow member! :wave:
What if Daniel has a banana sandwich game?

Given that he gives good advice, I think he'll end up following the advice that he gives. I highly doubt that he'll win a blue ;) .

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:07 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade
International Forums Moderator

He certainly won't have a self-inflicted trainwreck that's for sure - any blue win will be down to offers of £NO_DEAL :D

Interesting offer strategy today - high start, then not rising as quickly as the board warranted the next two rounds, then using the 'wiggle room' he'd created through that lag to set up the £21,000 at eight-box. I think I'd have gone on there, but am not at all sure - usually by then the potential shifts for the next offer are much greater in relative terms than that likely from that very stable configuration. The fifth round - the lowest, the highest and one in the middle - was basically in line with expectations, a stick was indicated, the offer sneaked up again, and I'd have taken it. The Banker's remarks at the reason for the increase set up the finish, and proved to be a vital intervention.

Ade seemed to be a 'positivity' type which under the influence of Noel at his worst could have led to unfettered Wakeyism; at the same time he seemed to be a 'don't go home with a blue' type. He behaved consistently with each, playing on with a stable board before Dealing on the high-volatility finish. Good play all round, and at this rate I'll actually be watching the show soon.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Power5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:12 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

Think that was one of those rare games with every offer in five figures wasn't it? After that it would have been a shame if he had won a blue, the banker probably guessed he wouldn't Wakey it on a high red-blue finish but at least the offer wasn't a total insult or "virtual swap" offer... those seem quite common on £75k/blue these days! Great contestant and pleased he got some decent money out of it.

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:18 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade
International Forums Moderator

It was a well-placed offer, providing plenty of room for a gamble while being high enough to make any non-Wakeyist think.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

janus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:52 pm    Author: janus    Post subject: Re: 28/01 Ade

Another player who kept giving advice to others to go on when large amounts are up for grabs ...........it,s easy to talk the talk, but, do the walk, not many.

Profile E-mail  
 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]