Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:55 am Last visit was: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:55 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:56 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

Warnings: 0
More like Apple Crumble than Banana Sandwich, plus it's more tasty when I'm drunk! :smt047

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:20 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

MisterAl wrote:
DanJudge wrote:
also, it is 1.785, not 1.782. I broke under the pressure and got it wrong. Luckily the banker didn't highlight that fact. lol.

I cannot believe that everybody has let this gross inaccuracy pass by unchallenged! Correct to three decimal places, the chance of taking out the top three remaining boxes between 8-box and 5-box is 1.786%, and not 1.785% as some people here are suggesting!

Dan, you are still truncating when you should be rounding!

(Mind you, at least you're being consistent. That Banker fellow criticised you for rounding incorrectly, and then did exactly the same thing himself when he quoted 1.78% as the "correct" figure. Of course, we should all know by now that the chance, rounded to two decimal places, is actually 1.79%. The stupid hypocrite.)

Wow. I am shocked and appalled. I cannot believe that you're having an argument over insignificant decimals. No offense, but the stats really don't matter. I'm going to get hell for this, but that's just my opinion.

Skyline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:25 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve
Forum Games Moderator

I do kinda agree with the legendary Banana Sandwich guy, but these stats are quite useful. You've all done well, give all of yourselves a pat in the back. :smt023

Last edited by Skyline on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

MisterAl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:41 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

Mad Mark wrote:
Wow. I am shocked and appalled. I cannot believe that you're having an argument over insignificant decimals. No offense, but the stats really don't matter. I'm going to get hell for this, but that's just my opinion.

Is your humour detector not working today or something...?

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:49 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve
Administrator & Global Moderator

Mad Mark wrote:
I cannot believe that you're having an argument over insignificant decimals

My year 7 maths teacher would beg to differ! He frequently told us a "story" about how a child had died in hospital due to being given the wrong dose, because a doctor had got the decimal place in the wrong place in the dosage. But as MisterAl ever so slightly subtly hints in his last post, I think the decimal-related discussion in this thread might just be fairly light-hearted.

Profile E-mail  

Skyline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:52 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve
Forum Games Moderator

And brain surgeons have to be exact to like, the nearest angstrom :shock:

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:55 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

It was a shame to see Steve's game fall apart like it did. It was looking so strong at one point, but it all went horribly wrong. The offer at 5-box wasn't even worth thinking about as it was so poor for the board. People have been offered more than that with just 4 blues and £20,000 left!! I suppose the banker was playing on the fact that Steve might deal early because of wanting money for his new family. It's a shame Steve didn't get a chance to prove the banker wrong.

Still at least he took it well and focussed on the positives at the end of the game. Also it was good to see that statistical exchange between Daniel and the banker, even though it turns out that both parties still ended up getting their facts wrong (albeit by an extremely small margin!).

Profile E-mail  

Skyline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:16 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve
Forum Games Moderator

Let's just stick at 1.7885774934278456348756435% :D

Profile E-mail  

DanJudge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:23 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

Maybe saying 1.782% on TV was what made Steve go on. If I'd have said it was 1.786%, he might have been scared off and dealt!!!

Seeing as though MisterAls sarcasm wasn't picked up by some of you, I will mention that this is a sarcastic comment, lol.

I certainly learn a bit on here anyway, ha ha ha. I mentioned earlier that I'd written down 1.78% in the green room when working it out on my iphone. I never thought I'd be pushed under pressure to recite the figure beyond that. adding the 0.002 on the end was a bit of a bluff and I'm glad only the elite few would pick up on it.

As for the comments about people playing on for the cameras, I should have said that I'd never met someone who would do that, but in all honesty, I never really watched the show before I got on. I'm sure some people do. I can say for certain, that Steve wasn't that person though. I think it would have taken a very cautious person to take any of those offers and I agree that the offer at 5 box is laughable. It surprised me aswell, because it was a perfect time for a tense, teaser of an offer. Offer him £8k and play on the whole "having a baby" angle. Giving the player no option can't make good TV and I agree that game felt a little flat because of it.

He's a cracking guy though and although he was welling up on the show, he was in good spirits near the end of the day and on the night out afterwards. Either way, I can't see him caring too much about his loss anymore. Him and Marie had a little baby boy, FINLEY OWEN PARKER on Jan 20th.

Profile E-mail  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:26 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

DoND has sadly become very predictable over the years. Each show can have one of three different outcomes:

1. Player wins lots of money, makes great deal.

2. Player wins lots of money, but makes bad deal.

3. Player goes all the way and wins a blue.

I guess you could call this a "3" game then.

Seriously, you guys need to spice things up somehow, because it's starting to become old hat already. How about getting a guaranteed £1,000 or something if the £250,000 is kept in play after the first two rounds. Or how about giving the other players £250 if they correctly guess what's in their box, a la the Aussie version? Or how about a "sweeten the offer" bonus thingy? Here's how that works. The US syndicated version was once sponsored by Splenda for a week, and if someone opened the $10,000 case, the value of their next offer increased by $10,000. Also, if they went all the way, and found out that they were holding the $10,000 case, they won $20,000. There were some games where the players were headed for The Land of Trainwrecks, and because they opened the $10,000 case, their paltry $500 offer became a much better $10,500 offer, which was immediately dealt, thus resulting in an OPW. I think the UK version could benefit from these kinds of bonuses. They would keep things interesting. What sayeth you lot?

Last edited by Dr. Hindsight on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve
Forum Games Moderator

DanJudge wrote:
Maybe saying 1.782% on TV was what made Steve go on. If I'd have said it was 1.786%, he might have been scared off and dealt!!!

Maybe my percentage. :bluelol

To Mad Mark: We really don't want 15 £250,000 boxes like your version, but I do like the correct guess idea. Wouldn't really work on our show though, as with all of the ideas. It's simplicity is fine.

And it's a la Aussie, not a la the Aussie, you're basically saying like the the Aussie :laughing

Last edited by Skyline on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:29 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

Mad Mark wrote:
How about getting a guaranteed £1,000 or something if the £250,000 is kept in play after the first two rounds.

No.

Mad Mark wrote:
Or how about giving the other players £250 if they correctly guess what's in their box, a la the Aussie version?

No.

Mad Mark wrote:
Or how about a "sweeten the offer" bonus thingy? Here's how that works.

No.

It's fine as it is!

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:30 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

Give up, Mark.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

Skyline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:34 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve
Forum Games Moderator

I don't think he gets our show really, it's supposed to be simple, without those ideas (but not as good as APOAL) :lol:

Profile E-mail  

MisterAl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:34 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

DanJudge wrote:

I wish he had have dealt, given what happened afterwards...

Congratulations to Steve and Mrs Steve on the birth of their baby! Happy birth!

Profile E-mail  

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:36 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

Those ideas are kinda the same things I was thinking when I suggested to remove the Bag of balls from the show

But whether we like it or not, the producers isn't gonna listen to us

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:36 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

DanJudge wrote:
It surprised me aswell, because it was a perfect time for a tense, teaser of an offer. Offer him £8k and play on the whole "having a baby" angle.

When Noel started saying "the banker would normally offer...", I was expecting him to say something like £3,000, with the actual offer for Steve being nearer £7k - £8k.

DanJudge wrote:
Him and Marie had a little baby boy, FINLEY OWEN PARKER on Jan 20th.

Congratulations to them!!

Profile E-mail  

StatsMan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:44 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

Gutting game today, I feared the start by Steve was almost too good, not removing anything above £1k in the opening round. The offer there was hardly generous at £9k considering he had the top 10 left - £15k shouldn't be out of the question there, really.

Shame because he had quite a strong board up to the halfway stage, but then it just gradually collapsed. The 5-box offer was appalling. Maybe the banker is borrowing from the Goldenballs mentality, that after a bad (/killer) round, a nought is knocked off the offers. Not offering anything vaguely takeable evaporated all the tension from the finish and made it extremely flat, and not 'good tv'.

The only saving grace and light amusement was the stats exchange between the banker and Daniel - good to finally see another statsman in the wings, albeit with a fundamentally flawed quoting of figures! :P More, please!

Profile E-mail  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:48 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

Big-Davey wrote:
Give up, Mark.

Never!

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:48 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 26/01 Steve

Mad Mark wrote:
MisterAl wrote:
DanJudge wrote:
also, it is 1.785, not 1.782. I broke under the pressure and got it wrong. Luckily the banker didn't highlight that fact. lol.

I cannot believe that everybody has let this gross inaccuracy pass by unchallenged! Correct to three decimal places, the chance of taking out the top three remaining boxes between 8-box and 5-box is 1.786%, and not 1.785% as some people here are suggesting!

Dan, you are still truncating when you should be rounding!

(Mind you, at least you're being consistent. That Banker fellow criticised you for rounding incorrectly, and then did exactly the same thing himself when he quoted 1.78% as the "correct" figure. Of course, we should all know by now that the chance, rounded to two decimal places, is actually 1.79%. The stupid hypocrite.)

If the stats don't matter on DOND, you might as well open your box at the beginning of the game because otherwise what have you got in order to make your decisions?

[ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]