Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kestral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:50 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Proveout round

21 - £1 Alfonso

Who clapped shouts Noel!! :lol:

18 - £35,000 Ade

12 - £5,000 Barbara

Banker time with £1,000 and £50,000 remaining

kestral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:51 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

The Banker says that he thought Trev was going all the way to the end, and then says that he still might!!!

Banker's offer:

Banker's Gamble

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:51 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

Please deal at the banker's gamble!

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:53 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev
Forum Games Moderator

Mark wrote:
Please deal at the banker's gamble!

Agreed

kestral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:53 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

That is so mean says Trev, and Noel tells Daniel to speak!! Daniel tells him that he made a good deal, and it would now be a gamble of £15,500 to win £50,000... Carla tells Trev that he could still buy a nice ring with £1,000, and Noel says he really likes her!

Trev says

NO DEAL

kestral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:54 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

Noel opens box 15 and reveals £50,000

£50,000 has just slipped away because you didn't gamble says Noel

Box 5 with Clare-Louise contains the £1,000

wkd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:56 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

Think I'd have gone for it with £1000 for back up. His deal was a good one though and can see why he wouldn't risk it.

tr4962

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:57 pm    Author: tr4962    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

Noel seemed very much agianst dealing at 5 box, which does lead me to think that he had an idea what was in the box. although its unlikely

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:57 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev
Administrator & Global Moderator

That was fantastic banker play there and one of the best uses of the banker's gamble I've ever seen. It was a close call as with £1,000 as backup it was very tempting to go on. I was expecting him to go for it at the end after what he said but the drop between £15,500 and £1,000 is a significant gap. After the bad start he had, it was great to see him get as much as £15,500. Well done Trev!

It's not been a great week so far in terms of beating the banker (except for Bobbie) but there have been some healthy red wins so far.

flamedtresses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:59 pm    Author: flamedtresses    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

kestral wrote:
Noel opens box 15 and reveals £50,000

£50,000 has just slipped away because you didn't gamble says Noel

i love noel lol. id of gone with 50k today as id gone all way. id of been happy with 1k so id of just gone on

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:18 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

A very generous offer from the Banker at 5-box which i'm not surprised was dealt (an offer I would have dealt too).

Plus a perfect final 2 for a Banker's Gamble too and the Banker knew that it'd be a touch decision for Trev after his reaction at 5-box where he struggled to decide what to do.

A good show. A shame that Trev didn't get £50,000, but still not a bad result.

DanJudge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:34 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

Trev was seriously over the moon with that amount. He was such a nice guy. Really unassuming and humble and I knew how much money he was looking for and he wasn't greedy (for want of a better word). I was really gutted that he could have won more, but he told me afterwords in the green room that the deal was the right thing to do and he believes he made the right decision by not risking it in the bankers gamble.

The one thing I found out by speaking to all the contestants is that not everyone is in it for the big big money. Some are and it works out well, some arent and it backfires (Tonys game was still in recent memory as it was filmed just 2 days earlier). One thing I noticed is that all those who go away with low money when it comes to 50-50 gambles are usually devastated beyond repair and the ones that, play safe, take home good money, but miss out on massive money are still over the moon and get over it really quickly (usually within the first hour).

Top bloke and great character to have around. Just a shame I only knew him for about 4-5 days (although that is like 2 years in the Deal or no deal bubble).

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:51 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

Agreeing with the majority here - we all knew Trev was going to give us a brilliant game, and the only thing missing from it was a profit on the box!

As H has already said, that was easily the best Gamble we've seen yet, and it was only bad luck that the Banker got his wish in the end with the £50,000 on the table after seeing the Gamble turned down.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:00 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev
International Forums Moderator

That's the second-best use of the Gamble ever after Jess's, and that one was controversial because it was on a £250k finish!

The great thing about it was that he had Wakeyist tendencies but felt the need to keep them in check at five-box - now he had the opportunity to let them loose again if he wanted to... and he easily could've done. Only the second time the Banker's Gamble response has ever been in doubt, and the first was only because Noel blatantly tried swaying David the cellist on his finish!

DanJudge wrote:
One thing I noticed is that all those who go away with low money when it comes to 50-50 gambles are usually devastated beyond repair and the ones that, play safe, take home good money, but miss out on massive money are still over the moon and get over it really quickly (usually within the first hour).

We now have the half-life of the effect of a Noel guilt-trip - one hour. :)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

I was watching it all today, I liked how he kept staying positive and when I saw the offer was £15,500 and not £17,500, I just knew we were gonna be in for a disappointment money-wise, the Banker's Gamble made it interesting and at 2-box, it was certainly a good time to use it

Trev turned it down and another player throws away a Power-Five, unfortunately :(

But at least the offers are (slowly...) getting better :-)

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:24 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

Great game today and for once Ade actually got his advice spot on in that the only way to get significantly more money was to have the £35k/£50k finish, which made the 5 box offer one of the most cast-iron deals I've seen for ages - especially with at least a 30% chance of the banker's gamble (and there could have been a case that a £35k/red finish could have seen the banker's gamble too).

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:38 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

Simon F wrote:
Great game today and for once Ade actually got his advice spot on in that the only way to get significantly more money was to have the £35k/£50k finish, which made the 5 box offer one of the most cast-iron deals I've seen for ages - especially with at least a 30% chance of the banker's gamble (and there could have been a case that a £35k/red finish could have seen the banker's gamble too).

For some reason I'd be more inclined to take the banker's gamble on 35k/5k than 50k/1k, I know that sounds odd!

But yes, a good game for both sides there I feel. Trev didn't seem the sort of guy who'd go cheaply and I could see some bailing out at 8-box for 8k, but he manged to earn a really good offer from the banker at 5-box, and good to see Daniel be spot-on with his advice (even though he seemed to come over as a bit forceful for Trev to deal - please correct me if I'm wrong Daniel :) ). It was one of those where you think at first "Oh, no-deal, it's 4 reds v 1 blue!" then you realise two of the reds are oranges and the next offer only has a 10% chance of being more than low-20s at 2-box (50k v 5k for the second-best scenario), it all adds up to a deal. You had to be committted to taking the box for a no-deal there IMO.

The board was similar to Maureen's when she dealt for less than half that, even with 10k there instead of 5k! (I wish Daniel had beeen there for that game so he couldhave given his view on that offer!!) :D

The banker's gamble was perfect here, and a lot less of a clear-cut decision in my mind. It was also perfect for giving Trev a horrible decision which is what the whole game's about. I feel it would have been an easier gamble had he got there a different way and not dealt beforehand, as it is your money when you've dealt, rather than money you've never had. I certainly don't blame him for declining it, especially given the offer he took was very good, so i feel you've got to stick to your guns really. Trust him to have the 50k though. :(

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:39 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev
International Forums Moderator

Definitely - knowing a Banker's Gamble is possible allows you to Deal and then reassess, and I would have expected it on any of these finishes (especially given the player's presentation as a gambler):

* £50k/£5k - in which case I'm going for it for sure
* £50k/£1k - as we got, and with a smidge of reluctance I'm keeping the money
* £50k/blue - now I'm definitely keeping the money
* £35k/£5k - probably going for it here actually
* (irrelevantly on £35k/£1k and £35k/blue, finishes that have traditionally produced stupid Banker's Gamble offers and I can't see this being an exception)

A Banker's Gamble also means there's no chance of a proveout joke...

I note James thinks the same as me on £50k/£1k vs £35k/£5k... it's actually a really interesting one. I got my utility curve (as of late 2007 - must revise it!) out, and that gave me a tipping point of £14k on £50k/£1k (that still sounds about right!) and £15,400 on £35k/£5k.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

greeny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:22 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

Indeed, I'd have taken the gamble on either a 5k/35k finish or a 5k/50k finish, but not with 1k as the other option with one of the top 2.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:24 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 22/01 Trev

Great game today. Trev was one of the last contestants on the wings from the early October recordings I saw (the others are Ade and Debbie, I think). It was a lively affair and a great tussle between banker and player, as I suspected it might be.

£15,500 was well worth dealing in my book, because the only way of getting a significantly higher offer is to leave both reds - just a 10% chance, and unless you're hoping to have one of the big reds in your box, which is odds against, then a deal seems the best option.

The banker's gamble was utilised perfectly, and for the first time I thought he might take it, especially as the lowest win was a red (albeit the lowest one). All round good play and an interesting contest.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]