Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:10 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:10 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:51 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

Warnings: 0
And £21,500 sounds just a bit low, I was expecting £26,000 at least so I don't know what I do here :?

kestral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:53 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Carl's wife says that they could have a good holiday with that, and Ade says that a good gambler knows when to stop... Noel says that it has created an interesting situation here as everyone seems to be trying to talk him into a deal...

Carl says

DEAL

kestral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:54 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Noel says that Carl doesn't look comfortable with that decision...

Noel opens box 21 and reveals £100,000

Box 22 with Trev contains the £500

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:54 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

Oh dear yet again. His pattern continues...

He is a bad gambler.

He should have had more believef in his coin.

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:59 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

And another player throws away the chance of a lifetime! :(

Moderate Sandwich for this game, and that's £350,000 down the drain in 2 games, not the best start of the week :eyes:

KP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:06 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl
International Forums Moderator

Good play all round, and a player who was prepared to take a chance but was deterred by the all-or-peanuts finish.

This sure beats doing a Tony, though. He's going away with more than twenty grand.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

jennyjen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:07 pm    Author: jennyjen    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

Another game ruined because the family member in the audiance, this time it was Carls wife has to get involved.

She shuts up and lets Carl play his own game he would have imho won that £1,00000.

The Banker knew it and thats why the offer at the end was a little to low.

Amanda cost her husband the big win.

Carl however was a great bloke. You could tell how gutted he was at the end.

KP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:17 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

Even if we accept your proposal that the wife influenced Carl today, surely that is no more than counteracting the pressure from the host and most of the audience to No Deal?

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:33 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl
Administrator & Global Moderator

Carl had a statistically interesting board at 8-box, and it was spookily like yesterday's game. The offers weren't as generous today though, despite Carl's obvious "gambler streak". It's a shame the £250k went when it did, but he may have played on anyway at 5-box. You could see he was upset at the end at having £100k in his box, but winning £21,500 isn't bad at all, especially when the last offer was only £4k!

At least this week has got off to a good start with some stronger games, but it's a shame that both players ended up dealing too soon. If the boxes had fallen right, we could've had some very memorable huge wins over the last couple of days.

wkd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:33 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

To most of us, 21k is a big win. Not everone is inclined to risk that money, even if the odds are favourable.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:13 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

Exactly - I found today's game largely enjoyable. Yes we had the whole relatives getting involved thing again, and yes she made him squander the £100,000...BUT as Noel said, he would have rather have been kicking himself than his wife kick him! :-D

Leaving the £100,000 until the end was enough for me to enjoy this game - a deserved win, but yet another hollow victory...

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

rico7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:27 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

That was an unusual game in terms of banker offers:

£16,500 was an excellent offer at 11 box worthy of serious consideration.
With only a 34% chance of retaining 50K 100K and 250K to 8 box Carl had a decent round
in only taking out the 50K but it was a real surprise to see only £14,000 offered
on a 100K 250K two box board given the 18K yesterday that was no dealt with a similar configuration.

£4,000 at 5 box was laughable, but £21,500 was a reasonable offer at £100,000
though you would have expected slightly more for a gambler.

Carl nearly got the OPW and the interplay between the banker and his wife made for an interesting game
given Carl's admitted gambling pedigree.

I would be very reluctant to deal as early as 11 box normally but on this occasion it wouldn't have
been such a bad move unless you have genuine Wakeyist tendencies.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:31 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

Well, I don;t want to sound like one of the banned members here, but I'm a bit disappointed with that ending, as I thought until the very last moment Carl was going to go for it. It was obvious he wanted to gamble but you could see his wife's eyes burning a hole in the back of his head. And I thought the offer of £21,500 was pretty poor given he'd kept a high blue too, that's the sort of offer I'd have expected with a banker's power 5 there. I got the feeling he would have been less disappointed with £500 having givven the 100k a shot.

But the rest of it was great, I really liked him, and to give him his due, he did take some risks with some offers where it was pretty much arguable either way at 11-box and 8-box, and I was really pleased he survived the round from 5-box so the banker didn;t get away with yet another derisory low 4-figure offer. And he was genuinely enjoying it too and seemingly not worried about winning a blue, but I could tell he was kickinh himself at the end.

I wonder if the fact that all the power 5 box winners in 2008 (and Mary so far this year) have been women - wives tend to be more influential towards their husbands playing than the other way round i feel. IIRC, I think Gaz is the only HUGE male winner whose wife was there (and she just supported him either way)! :shock:

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:53 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

He clearly had a Wakeyist attitude to some extent but I must say that finances do tend to get handled jointly to a large extent between husband and wife (I hope so anyway!) so I have no complaints whatsoever about joint decision-making in this instance, Carl had his risk-taking earlier in the show when I bet his wife would've gone!

This is the sort of thing FTROYL tried to do and failed miserably at. :P I bet if this couple had been on that show Carl would have just blindly pushed on and his wife would have secretly bailed out long before!

It's clear his true preference playing the game solo without influence was to Wakey it though, hence the disappointment. £21,500 wasn't that bad an offer though, although it was £500 lower than Swappy Barbara's with a safety net £500 lower... :P

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:58 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

Carl shouldn't be that disappointed today. He no dealt 2 decent offers at 11 box and 8 box today and then took a reasonable offer at 2 box. Perhaps if £40k hadn't been gambled away last week, we may have had a bigger win yesterday and some semblence of risk-taking on an all or peanuts finish today.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:05 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

Hmmm seems similar to Kate's game recently. I guess people don't want to risk that finish even if the offer's stingy. I definitely would though.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:11 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

Glad I'm not the only one there! :P

£500 is what I'd call a modest consolation. Obviously there'd be a big regret if I didn't win the £100,000 had I gambled, but at least it wouldn't have been a quid or the 1p...

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

foxxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:54 pm    Author: foxxy    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

Big-Davey wrote:

£500 is what I'd call a modest consolation. Obviously there'd be a big regret if I didn't win the £100,000 had I gambled, but at least it wouldn't have been a quid or the 1p...

Agreed!

I really thought that he would 'no deal'!

His coin, his gambler instinct............ why oh why didn't he go on!!!!! :(

Power5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:24 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

Big-Davey wrote:

I think a blue's a blue when there's that much at stake, it doesn't really matter whether it's 1p or £750, it's small change compared with what the player could lose.

Over £20k seems reasonably generous now on £100k/blue, it would have to be what some would call a "virtual swap offer" to get most people to no-deal in this situation!

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:49 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 20/01 Carl

Power5 wrote:
Big-Davey wrote:

I think a blue's a blue when there's that much at stake, it doesn't really matter whether it's 1p or £750, it's small change compared with what the player could lose.

Over £20k seems reasonably generous now on £100k/blue, it would have to be what some would call a "virtual swap offer" to get most people to no-deal in this situation!

16K was offered on blue vs 50K the other day, offers of less than 25K would have to be very respectable to get me to deal - might as well attempt the big money

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]