Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:22 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:22 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:57 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
killersbee wrote:
£100,000 is obviously a lie, he would've offered around £40,000-£50,000 if he was in live play

Corrected for you...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:00 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston

Well, I wasn't expecting it to be that low but thanks anyways

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:14 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston
Administrator & Global Moderator

Who pissed in the banker's coffee this morning? He seemed to be in a horrible mood but at least it didn't get to Winston and he seemed to ignore what the banker was saying. I was surprised at how generous the 8-box offer was, and equally surprised at how ungenerous the 5-box offer was. I know he took out £100k but I was expecting a stick or even a slight increase.

It's a shame the banker didn't make the offer guarantee before Winston dealt - he may then have been encouraged to go on. A fun show otherwise but with a rather painful ending when it was discovered Winston could've got the big prize... although it's irrelevant really as Winston would've surely dealt the £100k.

Well done to him for the £16,500 though!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:27 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston

That was a thoroughly enjoyable game for me. That £18,000 offer at 8-box was insane! Especially given the Banker's little comment about the offer being £8,000 for anybody else! So his end game comment made a lot of sense, as the offers all in all, were indeed high.

That £100,000 offer was believable because of that. No other reason. I think if he kept the personal matters (his late mother) seperate from the game, he would have easily scored a £100,000 OPBW (Outright Player's Box Win)...but I don't think we'd have been spared the end result as the hypo swap is becoming a fashionable ending with the £250,000 still present.

Still, a good start to the week nevertheless!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

rico7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:29 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston

Winston was a great contestant with a big heart.
I think if you're going to do a risky no deal £18,000 in a 2 box game
you have to be prepared to go all the way though. It's unlikely that the banker would offer
as little as £8,000 for most players with a similar configuration.

Of course it would be disappointing to open your box and see
250K after you've dealt, but you have to decide what level of risk you are going to take before the game
so that come what may you can live with your decision with no regrets.

The configuration of Jennifer's show with £750 and 250K would not see anything like 100K in live play
unless it was specified at 5 box. That said I don't see the banker offering anything less than £60,000
with the quarter of a million and a blue in live play at 2 box unless the blue was 1p unless they really want
to see another jackpot winner.

Brick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:08 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston

Didn't get to see this game but it seems Noel wasn't on the players' side today judging by that intro or that guilt trip at the end... :smt009

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:40 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston

How often does it happen that after 2 trainwrecks, we get a player who during a good run of games may have taken a risk to a big win today. £100k seemed very generous on the Jennifer finish (and £1k would have been very stingy on a £750/£5k finish).

If they are going to insist on doing hypothetical swaps with the £250k in play, I wish Noel would first ask the player what they would have done at 2 box. As I've said before, I doubt we will ever see anyone no-deal a £250k/blue final 2 with a non-joke offer.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:01 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston

Well I'm sure everyone would have loved that game had the QM not been in Box 15 or 17....

I actually though Winston was quite nervous, he was just giving off nervous energy that made him look hyper! Shame he had to go on after two trainwrecks though, especially the first of which was a big gamble gone wrong. I also think he would have gone on if he'd kept the 100k to 5-box unless the offer had been massive, but that severely weakened the board. I'd have dealt the 18k as I expected a much bigger drop for 250k alone in the last 5, maybe 10k - 12k, so was quite relieved when he got £16,500 and dealt, but it was never going to be a quick proveout looking at the time, I was expecting a no-deal and was really starting to fear the hat-trick of blue wins!

But at least he did take a risk at 18k - I was really nervous between 8-box and 5-box so there was some excitmenet in the game.

And honestly, what's the point of the banker making a call for the 2-box offer in proveout just before the third box is opened - either do it at 3-box if the contestant is still playing (imagine he'd done it in 1p Trevor's game!! :shock:), or only bother when the player is considering the 5-box offer. At least when he promises it at 5-box you don't get annoyed at the 2-box offer, like I did today - he can made up any old rubbish like 100k once the player has dealt and picked 2 more boxes! :evil:

Oh, and also Noel should have been more interested in whether Winstone would have dealt 100k (heck, even Sr Wilson would have dealt that!!) hat whether he would have swapped, when only about 0.1% of the population would have no-dealt.

Rant over! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:10 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston

Yep, he said he would have dealt the £100,000! :D

I think we know who else would have too... ;)

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:31 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston

KP wrote:
killersbee wrote:
£100,000 is obviously a lie, he would've offered around £40,000-£50,000 if he was in live play

Corrected for you...

I don't know - 70K is believable. sounded like an average game, slightly dissapointing he didn't play on maybe but a reasonable contestant

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:18 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston

Great game, I was very surprised when Winston dealt given what he was saying immediately beforehand (Does he always do the opposite of what Ade tells him? :-D ) though given the precariousness of the board i do understand it.

I do think it's a shame he had to keep the £250k in play like that, especially as it was in a box which had deep personal significance (proving Moxx's theory once more) but i do think he would have been foolish to go all the way, given a 50/50 chance of winning a blue (even if it was the highest one on the board).

I think Winston was dissapointed in himself for bottling out there, He'll be kicking himself for a while but he shouldn't really,it could so easily have gone the other way

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:22 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston

Quite an entertaining game today. Winston has a lot of energy and positive attitude, which was good to see after the recent trainwrecks. I don't blame him for taking £16,500 on a precarious board, and in general the offers were generous today, as they can often afford to be after the banker has saved himself £50k+ in recent games. (Or at least, that seems a sound strategy)

Today reminded me of a combination of games I had seen at the dream factory last year. Jo in February was offered £17k on a practically identical 8-box board, and removed the £100k at the exact same point in the game. The finish today was more like Jane's recently, who also dealt, left the £250k with a blue to the final 2, and hypothetically swapped for the £250k, on the basis it was the box that her son had predicted had £250k (Winston had an altogether different connection to the box on the wings). To complete the similarities with today's game, she also swapped for box 17!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

KP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:29 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston
International Forums Moderator

I think it does also reflect the fact that both contestant and host came into this game with more than a few Wakeyist hints so the Banker knew that it wasn't going to be cheap buying him out of the game. I'm surprised he went as low as he did at five-box, actually...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:02 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 19/01 Winston

A decent game. Winston was a good character and played the game in a good way. But then it changed...

I don't see anything wrong with his deal, to me its completely understandable. He would never have got the £250,000 anyway, because I'm 100% sure he would have dealt £100,000 (like everyone else would I expect). And in the end he sold a £750 box for £16,500. So not bad...

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]