Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:25 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:25 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:16 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
It's the first person to turn down a Power 5 amount with three boxes to open and win a blue. Khanny swapped his way out of that fate.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:27 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

One of the worst games in recent history. I'm sorry, but that was some bad game play there. May as well give him a dozen Banana Sandwiches to eat.

maggieq

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:31 pm    Author: maggieq    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

:( Tony played a couragous game,pity his box was blue.at least he played it his way with no regrets.l'm sure most people here would have said DEAL to 40000 grand.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:42 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

Oh for god sake Mark, you'd have declined the £40,000 on a good day so shushlence...we all know whatever you do results in an OPW after all! :D

Seriously, what a crash - I can't remember one being THAT big. The name Tony seems to be cursed...but that game had something for everyone; a £40,000 OPW for the people who would be expecting the £250,000 to not make the final two...or the £16,000 as a get-out clause for anyone who decided to gamble and failed.

It was a very good offer, so in a sense he got the full blast of a backfired Wakeyist approach. But kudos to him...coz if the £50,000 WAS on the table, it'd have been a very pleasing OPW for everyone there!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Lewis246

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:57 pm    Author: Lewis246    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

Mad Mark wrote:
One of the worst games in recent history.

One of my favourite games in recent history, despite the unpleasant result. I liked Tony and it was nice to see the banker give some very dealable offers, and two very tricky decisions (for me at least). Was also good to see some shocks, I was expecting a deal on all of the last three offers. It would have been nice to see the £50,000 in the box (and if it was you'd have gone to the end...), but it was still a very enjoyable show today.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:02 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

Big-Davey wrote:
Oh for god sake Mark, you'd have declined the £40,000 on a good day so shushlence...we all know whatever you do results in an OPW after all! :D

I'd have dealt that £40,000 easily. I don't try to get the OPWs, but sometimes that's what happens. Sure, the £250,000 is still up there, but there's a chance it could get vaporized in the next round(s). Sometimes it's good to deal and guarantee yourself some money. At least I'd have done a heck of a lot better than today's Banana Sandwich eater did.

Power5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:58 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

Skyline wrote:
I wish he had the £50,000 really, but I just knew he would have 50p.

Oh well, he can by a pick and mix with that! ;)

Does anywhere still sell them? ;)

Guess we were due a game like that at some stage. Amazed nobody in close to 1000 shows has turned down that much and ended up with small change before!

Goldeneye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:34 pm    Author: Goldeneye    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

I may have missed something here, but was there a swap offer at all?

In the audience for Den's (2-Mar-2009, Show #974), Hannah's (3-Mar-2009, Show #975) and Rich's (4-Mar-2009, Show #976) episodes.
Probably the only non-UKer to be in the audience ever...

greeny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:49 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

No, but he said he wouldn't have swapped anyway.

a-laura-wannabe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:50 pm    Author: a-laura-wannabe    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

No there was no swap offered, as Tony had already told Noel that he would'nt swap his box, the Banker did'nt offer it :(

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:03 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

To be honest, I thought that Tony was just a little bit greedy (I don't want to start the argument over what defines greedy so don't bother starting one). The £25,000; £40,000 and £16,000 were very good offers.

But I suppose he gave it a shot and it backfired spectacularly.

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:17 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

£25k, £40k and £16k were all very respectful offers today. I had the feeling at the end that he wasn't going to have the £50k today at the end and there a more than tiny part of me that was hoping he did have the 50p today as to me, he seemed a bit too reckless with his gambling today. I know it's not a good thought to have but a £50k box win OPW wouldn't have made me 100% glad today.

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:34 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony
Forum Games Moderator

Power5 wrote:
Skyline wrote:
I wish he had the £50,000 really, but I just knew he would have 50p.

Oh well, he can by a pick and mix with that! ;)

Does anywhere still sell them? ;)

The ice-cream van which stops at our school does for 50p ;)

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:38 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

An exciting and tense game I felt and one that I enjoyed (minus the result). Some good offers, which were declined. Tony took some big gambles whereas a lot of other players would have (understandably) dealt at an earlier point and as I mentioned made for a tense game.

In the end it didn't work out though, but it shows that the Banker can still make some good offers when required (though if a player doesn't take any of them... :? )

KP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:16 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

Simon F wrote:
£25k, £40k and £16k were all very respectful offers today. I had the feeling at the end that he wasn't going to have the £50k today at the end and there a more than tiny part of me that was hoping he did have the 50p today as to me, he seemed a bit too reckless with his gambling today. I know it's not a good thought to have but a £50k box win OPW wouldn't have made me 100% glad today.

I felt that a bit, but only really felt it after the £16k ND - as I may possibly have got that far myself.

After some of Noel's Wakeyist introductions this week (the 'three Bs' springs to mind), hopefully this will cause people not to be seduced by the bottom right (although I'd hope Maureen's game did the reverse too).

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

johnr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:06 am    Author: johnr    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

I'm struggling to understand how Noel still thinks they have Saturday shows on Friday, then recently on Sunday he has managed to work out we are watching on Sunday

:shock:

KP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:11 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

Because the decision was made well after those episodes were recorded :) We're now into episodes recorded in the autumn, after the Sunday move was confirmed.

janus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:13 am    Author: janus    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

Banker's offer would've been:

He obviously did not need the money
, what else can you say.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:29 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

Well, what an absolute shocker of a game. I didn't notice Tony too much at the recordings, but he certainly gave a nerve-jangling, lively and ultimately eventful affair today. Maybe he got a bit greedy, but equally the offers were not generous enough as to make any no-deal reckless, although at the same time substantial sums of money were involved, which makes the pain of collapse all the much greater of course. Today's is indeed a surprisingly rare occurence for the show though, I'm amazed it hasn't happened a bit more often.

Pity Tony couldn't have had one of the number of games recently with power 5 amounts at the table - I believe last week we had £50k, £75k, £100k and £250k. That's just how it goes though. Today's board was just enough to tempt Tony on, and unfortunately he paid the price.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:44 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 16/01 Tony

I liked Tony, he came across well both on the wings and in his attitude towards the game but..well there's a fine line between bravery and recklessness and i think he crossed that line at the end.

The £40k at 5-box was a respectable offer, though with three of the Power five still in play i don't blame him for going on However gambling £16,000 on a 50/50 chance of going home with small change, that's where i draw the line. I really think he should have cut his losses and dealt at the final offer.

If the offer had been lower i might have felt differently but that for me seemed like decent compensation for a brave gamble.

Other than that though a good game

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]